Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

macuserjhs

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 4, 2010
I dropped my phone in the toilet but quickly snagged it. Everything is working besides the calling speaker and the mic? should i just let it dry or will i need to get it replaced? thanks:eek::eek:

kage207

macrumors 6502a
Jul 23, 2008
Put it in rice and turn it off or use a blow dryer and hurry. Apple will not replace it as it does not cover it under AppleCare.

macuserjhs

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 4, 2010
this happened last night.

----------

good news my music just started playing!:D let me check calls.

TuiSong

macrumors regular
Sep 28, 2011
Petone, New Zealand
Umm I would make sure to put it in a bag of rice and let it completely dry before you use it.

We've done this too. Works great BUT you need to actually sieve the rice first and get as much rice dust off it all so you don't end up with damp rice dust clogging anything up in the phone

macuserjhs

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 4, 2010
ok calls are working i just need someone on the other line to test the mic!

boomhower

macrumors 68000
Oct 21, 2011
Another suggestion to stick it in rice. Also remember your water indicators are not nuked so keep that in mind before warranty work in the future.

Big-TDI-Guy

macrumors 68030
Jan 11, 2007
90% of water damage people do exactly what you're doing. Shake the water off, let it "dry" over night, and test it the next day. It works! So you continue to use it.

All the while electrolysis is at work, chewing away the guts of your phone, and you don't suspect anything until its too late. By the time the motor starts buzzing, the speaker cuts out, or it bricks - the damage is permanent.

Heed the advice of others to leave it OFF and put it somewhere warm and dry - to get the moisture out before it can resume chewing up the innards.

Just perform a search here and enjoy the hundreds of threads covering this subject. ;)

Givmeabrek

macrumors 68040
Apr 20, 2009
NY
Be quick, one of the best tips I know is to suck the water out of it. :D

He, he sounds like a popular idea around here. :)

You could drown it in Vodka first. Then you could sterilize it, dry it, and get drunk all at once...

Be sure to get your all of your shots ahead of time.....

Last edited:

Shadyriley

macrumors 6502
Mar 27, 2009
First of all, you dropped it in the toilet? Why the hell would you be holding you phone over a toilet I mean that's just stupid.

Second, you reached into the toilet?? I mean I understand it's the iPhone but wow.

Stealthipad

macrumors 68040
Apr 30, 2010
We've done this too. Works great BUT you need to actually sieve the rice first and get as much rice dust off it all so you don't end up with damp rice dust clogging anything up in the phone

You need to wrap the iPhone in a couple of layers of paper towel BEFORE putting in the rice:eek:

yanki01

macrumors 68040
Feb 28, 2009
First of all, you dropped it in the toilet? Why the hell would you be holding you phone over a toilet I mean that's just stupid.

Second, you reached into the toilet?? I mean I understand it's the iPhone but wow.
do we want to know...? :D

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.