Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

kratoss

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 25, 2011
Was ready to pull the trigger on an Apple TV, but then saw that Roku just released a $49 device:

Amazon.com: Roku LT Streaming Player

I know that Roku has an iTunes channel for streaming iTunes content, but it is "unofficial." Has anyone here had experience with it? Is it user-friendly?

craigsharp

macrumors regular
Aug 2, 2008
Oklahoma
My experiences from Roku have been less than pleasant... About 3 months ago I decided to drop $80 on the roku XD and at first was thrilled with all the "cool" channels I could put on it. For the most part it worked as advertised... Until a few days later it decided to reboot on me every few minutes and when it was working the menu system became very annoying in the fact that it was not fluid at all... I had bought the device from Best Buy so they had no problem returning it... After that lack luster experience I wasnt sure if a STB like the Roku or ATV was the right choice, then I realized that with all my other apple gear and extensive iTunes library that it was a no brainer for the ATV2... A couple weeks later I had my wife pick up our ATV2 and have been extremely happy with it... especially now that we have our iPhone's everything just works... That's why I drank the Kool-Aid 8 years ago, Apple's stuff just works and works well...

heimbachae

macrumors regular
Aug 1, 2011
there's such a thing as a $49 roku? i thought the least costly one was $60?? my fiance's parents want one of them for christmas.... hopefully theirs will work :/ if not it's always another point for the ATV

dwag3

macrumors newbie
Oct 31, 2011
Alabama
The absolute cheapest model without bluetooth, memory card slot, or 1080p is $50. It's the purple one.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.