Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

DTxAg

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 25, 2011
Long story short, my kid lost an iPod Touch outside at my in-laws' house. I have a portable router that I have set up with my home network's wireless credentials (which the iPod knows), and I can use my iPhone connected to the "home" network and see that the iPod connects to the network when I'm in the yard. But, I can't get the "Find My iPhone" function to work because I cannot connect the portable router to a wired Internet connection. If I try to sign into "Find My iPhone" from my iPhone, it won't login because it's trying to use the unconnected wireless network instead of 3G. Anybody have any idea how I could make this work? It's supposed to rain soon.

chrfr

macrumors G5
Jul 11, 2009
"Find my ____" is an internet based service. If you can't get online, it's not going to work.

DTxAg

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 25, 2011
"Find my ____" is an internet based service. If you can't get online, it's not going to work.

Any way to get the iPhone to use 3G to log into FindMyiPhone and then send the ping to the iPod over WiFi?

macingman

macrumors 68020
Jan 2, 2011
Any way to get the iPhone to use 3G to log into FindMyiPhone and then send the ping to the iPod over WiFi?

It won't work because the iPod isn't connected to the internet. Why can't you go into the house and look around?

chrfr

macrumors G5
Jul 11, 2009

No, it only works over the internet. You'll have to resort to searching around in the yard manually.

KeithJenner

macrumors 65816
Sep 30, 2010
Plus it's ip based location tracking, and not accurate enough to pinpoint it in your yard.

He could have made it make a noise though, if he could get it onto the internet.

Sorry to the OP at not being able to help with that bit, but I thought I'd point it out as a lot of people don't seem to bother with find my iPod in situations like this because it isn't accurate enough. They forget that you can make it make a noise.

Consultant

macrumors G5
Jun 27, 2007
If you got a router with amplified antenna you can try. But router has to be connected to the internet.

It'll be more efficient for the kid to retrace his steps and bring a rake.

Reactions: fifiandfootsie

DTxAg

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 25, 2011
Thanks anyway everyone. I had hoped to use the Find My iPod function to make it sound off, but it's probably soaked by now, so no point.

jtara

macrumors 68020
Mar 23, 2009
Thanks anyway everyone. I had hoped to use the Find My iPod function to make it sound off, but it's probably soaked by now, so no point.

Soaked doesn't mean destroyed.

Most electronics can be saved after a dunk.

They key things are:

- Through removing of contaminants. Pure water is NOT conductive, and will not cause shorts either when present or after dried-out. (When still present, pure water can present other problems, particularly in RF circuits, due to the different dielectric properties of water vs. air vs. any porous material the water has saturated.) And pure water isn't going to remain pure for very long once it's splashed off of the ground, and entered the case where there are probably already dry contaminants present. But, of course, rain water is not pure water. This is more of an issue, say, with sea water. If it's taken a dunk in the ocean, it needs to be throughly flushed. Yes, with water. Disassembly is probably required for a proper flush.

So, you need to get rid of any contaminants that were introduced that will conduct between components. As well, some contaminants are corrosive, and the longer they remain, the more likely they are to cause destructive corrosion. You need to get rid of them.

The biggest issue with rain water is likely acidity of the water. Otherwise, I think rainwater is pretty clean. Cleaner than tap water, anyway.

- Throughly drying-out. Put in in a plastic bag full of rice, and/or those packets of desiccant "beads".

"Find my iPhone" works over an Internet connect to Apple's servers. Your computer or iOS device does not talk to the device being "found" directly, but makes a request to Apple's server, which then contacts the device being sought. No Internet, no find.

Last edited:
Reactions: Regbial

PhatboyNYC

macrumors newbie
Sep 24, 2010
Ugh...so my wife was in Target tonight with my 3 year old son who had my ipod touch with him. He ended up dropping it somewhere in the store and my wife didn't notice until after they left. She went back and looked everywhere with no luck. :( I was really hoping whoever found it would be kind enough to return it but I guess not.

Really sucks cause I just recently had my ipod touch replaced under warranty and renewed my Applecare for another 2 years.

Tatsuki34

macrumors newbie
Dec 3, 2012
Lost My iPod

Okay so I have to manually put the Internet Access "NETGEAR" to use on my iPod Touch 4G because it doesn't automatically do it. I lost it and so I used iCloud on it last night, making it connected to the Internet and said that it was in my house upstairs. So I woke up this morning and went to go look for it but it wasn't any where to be seen. So I went on iCloud to make it play the sound for it and said it was offline.
Does that mean it is off of the Internet Access?
Is there any way I can put the Internet Access on my iPod from my Mac?

Please help me! :confused: :confused: :confused:

Aspasia

macrumors 65816
Okay so I have to manually put the Internet Access "NETGEAR" to use on my iPod Touch 4G because it doesn't automatically do it. I lost it and so I used iCloud on it last night, making it connected to the Internet and said that it was in my house upstairs. So I woke up this morning and went to go look for it but it wasn't any where to be seen. So I went on iCloud to make it play the sound for it and said it was offline.
Does that mean it is off of the Internet Access?
Is there any way I can put the Internet Access on my iPod from my Mac?

Please help me! :confused: :confused: :confused:

It could be offline because the battery is depleted. Sounds like you need to do a room-by-room search, checking under, behind, and in between whatever's in the room and the walls.

Once you find it, try forgetting your network, then add your network name and password in the "other" section, then tell it to renew lease. That might cure it's memory problems with your network.

Reno Raines

macrumors 65816
Jul 19, 2015
Ugh...so my wife was in Target tonight with my 3 year old son who had my ipod touch with him. He ended up dropping it somewhere in the store and my wife didn't notice until after they left. She went back and looked everywhere with no luck. :( I was really hoping whoever found it would be kind enough to return it but I guess not.

Really sucks cause I just recently had my ipod touch replaced under warranty and renewed my Applecare for another 2 years.

Same thing happened to be with my daughter but at Walmart. She lost an iPod touch I had just given her.

SoN1NjA

macrumors 68020
Feb 3, 2016
Currently searching for my iPod touch 6... :rolleyes:

I've looked everywhere! Had it about 3 months ago (yeah... I'm just now starting to worry) either someone stole it, or I misplaced it

Wish I could eliminate some of my paranoia:
1) Lost, at home
2) Stolen
3) Lost, not at home

Would love to know if I could ever find it, obviously if it's stolen searching for a year wouldn't do anything (although might find enough hidden quarters around the house to purchase a new one)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.