Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

767Driver

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 6, 2011
Newbie question. I apologize for not doing a diligent search first but I am getting quite frustrated with this situation!
About 6 months ago I purchased an unlocked 3Gs from eBay to use with my tmobile account. The phone worked beautifully from the start and I have been enjoying it thoroughly. Well not being very computer/ technology savvy, I attempted to update the phone to the latest software IOS 5.0 via iTunes. Everything appeared to be working normally during the process. However, when it seemed to be complete and in the restart or reactivating phase of the update, that's when the problem started. The PC showed a " no sim card message detected, please unplug and insert sim card..." my tmobile sim card never left the phone at this point! The iPhone displayed an " unable to activate the phone at this time because the servers are unavailable, please try again later..."
My son has tried numerous downloads etc to try and get my phone back up and running but nothing seems to be helping. I really don't want to have to buy another iPhone but do I have any viable choices or alternatives? Is the phone toast at this point? ANY help would be much appreciated!:confused:

Givmeabrek

macrumors 68040
Apr 20, 2009
NY
Your phone is probably locked to AT&T. By updating you removed the jailbreak and unlock. I don't think there is any way to go back. Sorry.

767Driver

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 6, 2011
Your phone is probably locked to AT&T. By updating you removed the jailbreak and unlock. I don't think there is any way to go back. Sorry.
The phone was apparently an AT&T phone initially. If I purchase an AT&T sim card or use one from someone else's phone can I reverse the process?

Givmeabrek

macrumors 68040
Apr 20, 2009
NY
You can only use the phone on the AT&T network. It is locked for good. If you insist on TMobile you need a different phone.

Applejuiced

macrumors Westmere
Apr 16, 2008
At the iPhone hacks section.
The phone was apparently an AT&T phone initially. If I purchase an AT&T sim card or use one from someone else's phone can I reverse the process?

No, that will only let you get into the home screen and use it as an ipod touch. It still wont accept any foreign sims but AT&T's.
You can do a tethered JB on 5.0 and install the ipad bb to unlock but that's a complicated process that Im not sure if you're up for it.

767Driver

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 6, 2011
No, that will only let you get into the home screen and use it as an ipod touch. It still wont accept any foreign sims but AT&T's.
You can do a tethered JB on 5.0 and install the ipad bb to unlock but that's a complicated process that Im not sure if you're up for it.
Anybody want to buy an iPhone 3GS, it's in great shape!?:D

Mr.C

macrumors 603
Apr 3, 2011
London, UK.
This why I'm very careful about buying anything form eBay. Unlocked phones or any other consumer electronics especially.

767Driver

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 6, 2011
This why I'm very careful about buying anything form eBay. Unlocked phones or any other consumer electronics especially.

Well I certainly can't blame eBay or the seller. The phone was as advertised and worked great! It was my own stupidity
/ ignorance that caused this whole situation. Live and learn I guess!

Applejuiced

macrumors Westmere
Apr 16, 2008
At the iPhone hacks section.
Well I certainly can't blame eBay or the seller. The phone was as advertised and worked great! It was my own stupidity

Finally a post that the user takes responsibility and doesn't blame iTunes automaticly updated my iPhone or I accidentally installed the new firmware:)
Very refreshing, and you're right it's not eBays or the previous sellers fault.

Jordan921

macrumors 603
Jul 7, 2010
Bay Area

You can still get about 200 for a 3GS if it's in good condition

767Driver

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 6, 2011
I'm back in business!! My 11 year old son figured it all out!! I am quite surprised by his level of knowledge etc. I was already to buy the next phone! Kids and technology these days are truly amazing to a non tech guy like myself!! Thanks for the ideas nonetheless gents!:):D

Sambas

macrumors newbie
Oct 8, 2012
Help

I'm back in business!! My 11 year old son figured it all out!! I am quite surprised by his level of knowledge etc. I was already to buy the next phone! Kids and technology these days are truly amazing to a non tech guy like myself!! Thanks for the ideas nonetheless gents!:):D

Do you remember how your 11 year old genius cracked this one? I am in a similar situation, and I'm stuck, and I thought I was a bit tech. Please help.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.