Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bp1000

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jul 7, 2011
I would like to allow my wife to transfer an album from my mac and keep one of my albums on her iPhone 4s.

Is it possible to copy music from 1 apple ID to another using home sharing or is this seen as breaking copyright?

thanks

Sulten

macrumors regular
Oct 24, 2011
Havent tried this but my friend said only way to share music from the computer and on itunes is to create another log in and have access to itunes. plug phone to new created account.

rosemary1

macrumors regular
Aug 9, 2011
If you keep all your music/media on an NAS you can share it amongst all your computers. Add whatever files you want to the iTunes library on each machine and sync to your phone the way you usually do.

PNutts

macrumors 601
Jul 24, 2008
Pacific Northwest, US
I'm not a copyright lawyer. :) The purpose behind Home Sharing is to share your library out to up to five authorized computers. It's not really copying from one ID to another since you are authorizing that other computer to import / play your music exactly how Apple designed it, so I doubt there are any copyright concerns.

http://www.apple.com/itunes/features/

My PC is set up to automatically import anything from my wife's Mac because my PC as an offsite backup. Her Mac backs up to a Time Capsule but a fire/flood/theft would probably take out all three.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.