Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Semaphoric

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 11, 2011
Hi everyone,

I have a Speck hardshell for my Macbook Pro 15. I'm looking also to get a soft case for it. Any suggestions as to which case can fit over the Speck?

Thanks!

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
I have a Speck hardshell for my Macbook Pro 15. I'm looking also to get a soft case for it. Any suggestions as to which case can fit over the Speck?

The booq Vyper is the best protection I've ever seen in a notebook sleeve. In my opinion, it offers far better protection than any neoprene case, the zippers never come into contact with your MBP, and it looks great!
VYP4s.jpg

You'll find many more recommendations by searching for existing threads on the topic. As a sample:

Best Hard Case / Sleeve for 17" MacBook Pro - MacRumors Forums
Best MacBook Pro 15" sleeve/ case - MacRumors Forums
Which Macbook Pro Case - MacRumors Forums
Lets compile a list of Macbook Pro cases - MacRumors Forums
Highest Quality case or sleeve for 17" MacBook Pro - MacRumors Forums
whats the best sleeve/case for my MBP 15 - MacRumors Forums
Sleeve or hard case for MBP? - MacRumors Forums
17" Macbook Pro Bag Needed with Serious Padding! - MacRumors Forums

Berius

macrumors member
Sep 17, 2011
My friend has an incase and I have the booq vyper. He seems to like mine quite a bit. It is rigid and soft on the inside. The fabric on the outside is like a strong nylon weave. There is lots of room around the macbook so dents are unlikely to occur. I imagine it would take a lot of effort to cut the case as well.

pingfan59

macrumors member
Aug 9, 2011
Booq Vyper here as well, Bought a Speck satin black hard case at the same time and just now put it on, almost too big with the speck on to fit in the Booq Vyper, but it managed to zip up.

zaxdude

macrumors 6502
Mar 11, 2011
+1 on the Booq!! But I have the Viper XS3, GTR. Love it. Recently bought a Speck hardshell...hoping it squeezes in with it on.

Attachments

• VP-GTR2l.jpg
    VP-GTR2l.jpg
    37.3 KB · Views: 286
  • VP-GTR4l.jpg
    VP-GTR4l.jpg
    32.6 KB · Views: 236

Semaphoric

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 11, 2011
Guys, I'm just looking for a soft case that can fit over the Speck hardshell that I have on my MBP 15 already. Any suggestions?

zaxdude

macrumors 6502
Mar 11, 2011
Guys, I'm just looking for a soft case that can fit over the Speck hardshell that I have on my MBP 15 already. Any suggestions?

there's only probably something like 150 suggestions :)D) in the links GGJstudios provided above.

as well, pinqfan59 indicated above the booq fits over the speck

takeshi74

macrumors 601
Feb 9, 2011
If the suggestions above don't work for you then clarify what you're specifically asking for.

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
Did you read any of the links? Your answers are already there in threads like those, no matter what kind of case you want.

zaxdude

macrumors 6502
Mar 11, 2011
Booq Vyper here as well, Bought a Speck satin black hard case at the same time and just now put it on, almost too big with the speck on to fit in the Booq Vyper, but it managed to zip up.

I got my Speck Satin in today...fits nicely and am pleased with it; hopefully it holds up well. My MBP now just barely fits into my Viper XS3, GTR. I can zip it closed, but it's a tight fit indeed.

Badrottie

Suspended
May 8, 2011
Los Angeles
I bought American Eagle Campus messenger bag that comes with soft sleeve it does fit well with my Speck See Thru hard case perfectly.

thefizzle657

macrumors regular
Oct 21, 2011
I'm looking for a soft case that would fit over my MBP 15 which has a hardshell Speck on it already.

I was looking for the same thing for my 17" and ended up going with an Incase like this. It isn't too tight a fit that my MBP with the Speck case can't fit in, but not too loose that it moves around inside.

Zed the Dead

macrumors newbie
Nov 10, 2011
I have a Speck satin hardshell on my 2011 15" MBP and it tucks just right into a Crumpler Reginald Transfer soft case. It's kind of like a hybrid sleeve, but with just enough pockets for essentials, and options to carry. Super well made. Love it!

bmwpowere36m3

macrumors 6502
Nov 8, 2007
Any feedback on the fitment of a 2011 15" MBP in the new Incase Neoprene Slim Sleeves? I thought I read some stories about poor fitment... On my old 15" MBP Santa Rosa I had a Incase Neoprene Sleeve and it was fine.

Last edited:

Ccrew

macrumors 68020
Feb 28, 2011
Any feedback on the fitment of a late-model 15" MBP in the new Incase Neoprene Slim Sleeves? I thought I read some stories about poor fitment... On my old 15" MBP Santa Rosa I had a Incase Neoprene Sleeve and it was fine.

Best Buy is selling the Slim Sleeve, just drag your MBP into a store and try it?

bmwpowere36m3

macrumors 6502
Nov 8, 2007
Best Buy is selling the Slim Sleeve, just drag your MBP into a store and try it?

I know sounds simple enough, but I haven't purchased the new MBP yet (waiting till I get home for the holidays since the cost of an MBP in europe is ridiculous to what we pay) and just wanted some info on the sleeve.

did u not bother looking this up?

Thanks, yes I did and all I read was people recommending Incase sleeves. However that doesn't mean they have/had one and with the unibody MBP being of slightly different size than the older gen MBPs I wanted someone firsthand experience if the Incase Slim Sleeve fits well... that's all.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.