Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

mzl.yasvaxiv.320x480-75.jpg

In line with our report from the previous weekend, Apple has updated its Apple Store application for iOS [App Store] with new support for self-checkout at the company's retail stores.
What's New in Version 2.0

- Personal Pickup: Buy in the app and choose to pick up your order at any Apple Retail Store. Most in-stock orders are available for pickup within an hour. (U.S. only)

- EasyPay: Purchase select accessories in store quickly by scanning the barcode and completing your transaction right in the app. (U.S. only, requires iPhone 4 or iPhone 4S)

- Track your stuff: View the status of current and previous orders from the order status section in the More tab.

- Additional international support (Canada, China).
As detailed last week, the app now allows customers visiting any Apple retail store to use their iPhone's camera to scan the barcodes of shelf-stocked accessory items and purchase them using their Apple ID/iTunes Store accounts. The process bypasses the need to track down a member of the sales staff to process the transaction via their EasyPay mobile payment processing systems.

As part of the retail store enhancements, Apple is also rolling out in-store pickup for online purchases in the United States, allowing users to have their online orders shipped directly to a retail store for pickup rather than having to arrange to receive delivery at their home or office. For items stocked in-store, users will be able to purchase items and have them available for pickup within minutes. For custom orders and other items not normally carried in-store, products will take several days to be shipped to the store, at which point the customer will be notified that their order is available for pickup.

The in-store pickup program launched in late October at Apple's three San Francisco stores, and quickly expanded to include all 51 California stores as well as the company's four New York City stores. With today's enhancements, the program has now been rolled out to all U.S. stores.

Article Link: 'Apple Store' App for iOS Updated to Support New Self-Checkout System for Retail Stores

punkromance

macrumors member
May 29, 2008
"Not suitable for iPod Touch, due to the camera being a piece of crap and unable to scan barcodes at a readable resolution."

RoelJuun

macrumors 6502
Aug 31, 2010
Netherlands
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A334 Safari/7534.48.3)

And in the Netherlands no retail store yet. It might take a while I guess.

kfury77

macrumors regular
Jan 9, 2007
Osaka, Japan
No iPod Touch as the iPod Touch has no cellular radios and thus no way to complete the purchase.

Irrelevant. All Apple Stores have free wi-fi so iPod touchs could complete purchase if the camera was good enough to scan the barcodes.

sevimli

macrumors 6502a
Jun 26, 2007
ChiTown
how about the TAX?

Assume my credit card in iTunes has a billing address is in Oregon (no sales tax), if I make a purchase in another state, will they charge me for local sales tax, or no sales tax? :confused:

RafaelT

macrumors 65816
Jun 9, 2010
NM
Irrelevant. All Apple Stores have free wi-fi so iPod touchs could complete purchase if the camera was good enough to scan the barcodes.

Not true. It has wifi, as does every single Apple store.

Right, and I am sure Apple wants to have retail employee's spend time helping some of the more clueless people connect to the wifi so they can then help them complete the purchase.

The reason it works on the iPhone so well is that you always have a data connection

justperry

macrumors G5
Aug 10, 2007
I'm a rolling stone.
how about the TAX?

Assume my credit card in iTunes has a billing address is in Oregon (no sales tax), if I make a purchase in another state, will they charge me for local sales tax, or no sales tax? :confused:

You pay tax because you buy it in another state where they charge tax, is that so hard to understand.

mhuk01

macrumors 6502
Jul 5, 2006
South West England
Right, and I am sure Apple wants to have retail employee's spend time helping some of the more clueless people connect to the wifi so they can then help them complete the purchase.

The reason it works on the iPhone so well is that you always have a data connection

Why would connecting to an open network be so hard to do? I think if you have an iPhone, have been clued up enough to download the apple store app, and are in an apple store you would just about be able to work out how to connect to wifi! :rolleyes:

iSRS

macrumors 6502
Mar 2, 2010
So... If you are one of those people who perpetually have a balance (due to iTunes gift cards), will it use that up first? Or will it go straight to the credit card? Not sure I want it to pull my iTunes balance first.

Hmm...

RafaelT

macrumors 65816
Jun 9, 2010
NM
Why would connecting to an open network be so hard to do? I think if you have an iPhone, have been clued up enough to download the apple store app, and are in an apple store you would just about be able to work out how to connect to wifi! :rolleyes:

You are giving some people way to much credit.

Piggie

macrumors G3
Feb 23, 2010
I'm guessing that you will never be allowed to use your iTunes balance to buy Apple hardware as Apple don't see this as real money. It's just like game tokens you have bought with your money, and to Apple has no real worth in the physical world.

Yes/No ?

Shrink

macrumors G3
Feb 26, 2011
New England, USA
I must have missed something. If you "check out" using you phone, how does the staff in the store know that you have paid for the item in your hand? If you have a receipt on your phone, that means that the staff will have to check every person exiting the store for either a paper receipt or a receipt on your phone. That will tie up several staff to check people exiting the store, or end up with a line to check receipts slowing getting out of the store.

Not sure if this will be, when all elements are taken into account, be a time saver.

NightFox

macrumors 68040
May 10, 2005
Shropshire, UK
I must have missed something. If you "check out" using you phone, how does the staff in the store know that you have paid for the item in your hand? If you have a receipt on your phone, that means that the staff will have to check every person exiting the store for either a paper receipt or a receipt on your phone. That will tie up several staff to check people exiting the store, or end up with a line to check receipts slowing getting out of the store.

Not sure if this will be, when all elements are taken into account, be a time saver.

What makes you think they are going to have staff checking everyone's receipts now when they haven't ever done so before? For years you've been able to go into an Apple Store, pick up an accessory, pay for it anywhere on the sales floor you can find a staff member, get the receipt emailed to you and walk out of the store with your unbagged item and no physical receipt. This new system is no different except now you don't need to find a member of staff to pay. It's not as is anyone tracked you walking round the store to check if you paid; it was just as easy then to pick up something and walk out without paying as it will be now.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.