Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple today posted a new support document outlining procedures users should follow if they experience strain relief problems with their "T" style MagSafe power cables on various notebook products. Long-standing issues with fraying on those cables resulted in Apple redesigning the MagSafe several years to adopt an "L" style connector that puts less strain on the cable.

magsafe_connector_styles.jpg

While Apple has for several years offered a replacement program to users whose MagSafe adapters (as well as pre-MagSafe "barrel" style adapters) have exhibited signs of strain relief problems, the company has updated its support materials to reflect that a settlement has been reached in a court case over the design of the connectors.

frayed_magsafe.jpg

Frayed cable on "T" style MagSafe connector
According to the terms of the settlement, Apple will offer full or partial refunds to customers who purchased replacement adapters and will also continue to cover the cost of replacement adapters for users who have future problems with the issue. Apple will offer users who purchased a replacement adapter within one year of purchase of the original computer a $79 cash payment, with users who replaced their adapters in the second year receiving $50 and those who replaced in the third year $35.
The settlement will provide a cash payment if you are the original owner (by purchase or gift) of certain Apple MacBook or MacBook Pro computer models ("Subject Computer") or separately purchased an Apple 60W or 85W MagSafe MPM-1 ("T") Power Adapter ("Adapter"), your Adapter showed signs of Strain Relief Damage, and you purchased a Replacement Adapter within the first three years following the initial purchase of the Subject Computer or Adapter. If the court approves the settlement, you may be entitled to a cash payment in the following amounts depending on whether you purchased your Replacement Adapter during the first, second or third year following the initial retail purchase of the Subject Computer or Adapter: (a) first year, the actual amount you paid (excluding taxes and shipping/handling fees) up to a maximum of $79; (b) second year $50; (c) third year $35. There is a limit of three refunds per Subject Computer. You may also be able to obtain a Replacement Adapter at no charge from Apple if your Adapter shows signs of Strain Relief Damage now or in the future.
The settlement program is open to all purchasers of machines with T-style MagSafe power connectors who provide a valid claim form and proof of purchase for the replacement adapter. Users have until March 21, 2012 or three years from the date of original purchase, whichever is later, to file a claim for a previously-purchased replacement adapter. Apple will cover current and future replacements free of charge through December 31, 2012.

Article Link: Settlement Reached in Lawsuit over Frayed MagSafe Connectors

SteveLV702

macrumors 6502
Oct 15, 2007
Las Vegas, Nevada
what about the L style adaptors as we have same problem with the L style adaptors went through like 10 of the T Style then one day I went in and gave us the L style but have still gone through at least 7 of the L style so they aint any better then the T style.

iRCL

macrumors 6502
Nov 2, 2011
I have never seen the 2nd pictured L style connector. What does that come with? It looks hideous

Rudy69

macrumors 6502a
Mar 30, 2009
I had a first gen Macbook Pro and when the connector started to fray, they replaced it right away for free even though it was out of warranty

840quadra

Staff member
Feb 1, 2005
Twin Cities Minnesota
Interesting to know. I am on my original from 2006 still, as well as a 2008 varient on this MBP.

I can't say that I like the L-Style connector though, it either points out back, or forward blocking a couple ports.

tibi08

macrumors 6502a
Sep 17, 2007
Brighton, UK
What about non-US

It appears that compensation is restricted to US residents. A little unfair, I feel - as I would meet the criteria for repayment if I were US resident :(

myrtlebee

macrumors 68030
Jul 9, 2011
Maryland
Interesting to know. I am on my original from 2006 still, as well as a 2008 varient on this MBP.

I can't say that I like the L-Style connector though, it either points out back, or forward blocking a couple ports.

Same here. What are people doing that they keep fraying- especially the poster who stated he went through SEVENTEEN MagSafe adapters. That's abnormal and the problem does not seem to be the cords, but the way he's using them.

I also much prefer my T-Style. Much better for my outlet location and the way I work with my MacBook.

aristotle

macrumors 68000
Mar 13, 2007
Canada
what about the L style adaptors as we have same problem with the L style adaptors went through like 10 of the T Style then one day I went in and gave us the L style but have still gone through at least 7 of the L style so they aint any better then the T style.
Apple is not responsible for your dog or cat chewing on the cable or someone obsessively plugging and unplugging it over and over again.

LloydBraun89

macrumors member
Jun 27, 2007
Wow. Ok I had this problem and my adapter stopped working...I didn't know about this program and I just bought a non-apple replacement one 1.5 weeks ago...threw away the old one already. Whatever...It was only $20.

L-U-R-C-H

macrumors regular
Mar 3, 2007
Des Moines, Iowa
Replace it within 1 year of purchase? What happens if they start to fray after 2 years. I think that's ridiculous. My "MagSafe" adapter is fraying at the part that plugs into the wall. I guess after wrapping it up so many times, it puts strain on the cord. The lesson I've learned from this is that I'll never wrap up a power adapter again. Now I just wad the entire thing into my laptop bag.

///M5

macrumors 6502
May 14, 2009
Mississauga, ON
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Mobile/9A334)

iRCL said:
I have never seen the 2nd pictured L style connector. What does that come with? It looks hideous

I think my very first MBA had this connector, still works just fine with the 2011 one.

WildCowboy

Administrator/Editor
Staff member
Jan 20, 2005

It's what shipped with early MacBook Airs. The MacBook Air was the first to use the "L" style because the "T" style wouldn't have fit with the tapered profile of the machine. Once the "T" style problems became evident, they tweaked the "L" style from the MacBook Air and rolled it out across all notebook models.

Signal-11

macrumors 65816
Mar 23, 2008
2nd Star to the Right
Over the past couple of years, Apple's given me maybe 5-6 replacements for a couple of different machines. The last time I went in, they gave me an L-style in exchange for the broken T-style.

It's a very common problem among mobile users.

Thunderhawks

Suspended
Feb 17, 2009
It appears that compensation is restricted to US residents. A little unfair, I feel - as I would meet the criteria for repayment if I were US resident :(

Contact Apple in whatever country you are in and keep "whining" citing this court settlement.

They will eventually give you an itunes gift card or replace it depending on how old it is.

Try a few times until you get to a person that is a little more liberal with replacements etc.

Gotta stay on it though.

Good luck!

cRuNcHiE

macrumors 6502a
Jan 2, 2007
My late 2008 MBP has done this. I'm from the UK, does this mean i can get it replaced for free?

allpar

macrumors 6502
May 20, 2002
I haven't seen it happen yet with a bunch of devices, but then, I've always figured an $80 power cord should be treated well... so while I do sometimes "cram it into a bag," I usually just make sure when I wrap it, that there's a little slack at the end. It's common sense and hardly a problem unique to Apple.

... and yes, I've seen many, many people wrapping power cords like they were clothes line that had to be made as tight as humanly possible.

ProwlingTiger

macrumors 65816
Jan 15, 2008
How long until the fraying issues with the usb dock cables are resolved? Apple cables just flat out suck.

Ironically, I've never had a problem with my MagSafe cables, however.

Slurpy2k8

macrumors 6502
Feb 26, 2008

HOW THE **** do you go through at least 17 ****ing cables, then have the gall to blame it on Apple? I mean, do you think that just MAYBE, you're doing something absolutely ridiculous to the cable? In 4 years of owning macbooks and both types of cables, with daily usage, I haven't frayed one. As for the L style, I don't see how its possible to even fray, let alone 7 TIMES. So I'm actually curious to what you're doing to the cable, because you're probably the only human being on the planet that has gone through that many. That, or you're just flat out lying.

Ratoo

macrumors newbie
Nov 8, 2011

Just took a picture of my MagSafe connector, as the second L connector in the picture.
Stratus%20App%202011-11-09%20at%2002:38:23.png

It's from an original MacBook Air, maybe that's why it's a bit ugly.

SteveLV702

macrumors 6502
Oct 15, 2007
Las Vegas, Nevada
Apple is not responsible for your dog or cat chewing on the cable or someone obsessively plugging and unplugging it over and over again.

well seeing how I don't have a cat or dog or any animals for that matter and cable stays plugged in all the time thats not the issue.. None of my other cables for any of my other electronics have this issue... Think my issue maybe related to cable is so much thinner then all my other electronics and I live in the desert so don't know if the heat has any affect on it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.