Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Lioncrazz

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 3, 2009
I just started having this issue with my iPhone 4 last night. The iPhone is about a year old. I did not realize that my iPhone was doing this until I woke up this morning. When I plug the iPhone into the charger, it responds as if it is plugged in, and then goes back and forth between "charging" and "fully charged" for a few seconds until a "Charging with this accessory" appears on the screen. Then, it does not charge it at all, acting as if nothing is plugged into it.

I am using my original charger and I have tried 3 other chargers. When the phone dies, it will recognize the charger and charge it enough for it to turn back on and go to 4% but then it dies after a few minutes again and I have to go through the waiting period for it to turn back on and charge up to 4% again. Same thing happens whether it is in the car, plugged into the wall, or the computer.

Anyone else ever experience this? Please help!

Rocko1

macrumors 68020
Nov 3, 2011
What happens when you leave it plugged in to the computer? Same thing?

Have you done a hard reset? Hold down the home and power button for 10 seconds or so until it reboots? If that fails the battery is probably shot.

hizzaah

macrumors 6502
Oct 22, 2011
You could also try plugging it in, then shutting the phone off.. See if it charges without the phone running.

If not, I'd suggest a restore. If an apple store is close, you could try popping in there to see what they say. Even if it's not under warranty, they might still replace it as this isn't a very common issue. Can't hurt to try anyways

scottjua

macrumors member
May 23, 2011
Is there any possibility the phone is liquid damaged near the dock connector?

This is the first thing the apple store will check. If so, you'll be on your own to finance a replacement @ $149 for a service part. If not and you're still in warranty you may be in luck.

That said, a restore will be the first order of business in either case, so IF you can get it backed up... do so, and try a Restore as new device on your own... NOT FROM BACKUP. Then take it in and see...

how to check for liquid damage externally:
iphone-4-water-damage-sensor.gif

even slightly pink will be a YES... so get a light and check it out.

ganeshkumar

macrumors newbie
May 25, 2013
@lioncrazz i too have the same problem with my iphone today!!!
can u help me ?
actually what was the problem ? did u repair it?

----------

I just started having this issue with my iPhone 4 last night. The iPhone is about a year old. I did not realize that my iPhone was doing this until I woke up this morning. When I plug the iPhone into the charger, it responds as if it is plugged in, and then goes back and forth between "charging" and "fully charged" for a few seconds until a "Charging with this accessory" appears on the screen. Then, it does not charge it at all, acting as if nothing is plugged into it.

I am using my original charger and I have tried 3 other chargers. When the phone dies, it will recognize the charger and charge it enough for it to turn back on and go to 4% but then it dies after a few minutes again and I have to go through the waiting period for it to turn back on and charge up to 4% again. Same thing happens whether it is in the car, plugged into the wall, or the computer.

Anyone else ever experience this? Please help!
i too have the same problem can u help me

Lioncrazz

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 3, 2009
Best buy sent it back to refurb it. They told me that there was an issue with one of the internal components.

MrMacMack

macrumors 6502a
Oct 24, 2012
That's great news. And as long as they don't detect anything considered accidental you'll get a replacement. Keep us posted.

bamaboy

macrumors newbie
May 19, 2015
able to charge past 4%

my iphone 4 stopped charging after 1 year...it would do the 4 % and then not acknowledge the charger and shut down and then restart at 4% again. I thought it was because I left it in the cold one night but I read it could be from not using an apple charger. anyway, I figured out how to get it to charge. once the phone turns on shut it down manually and let it charge. When I plug the charger in. it doesn't recognize it. but for whatever reason it charges while it is off. you can not shut the phone off and then plug in.

1. you have to plug it in when it is on. hold the power button for a few seconds and then swipe shut it off. usually an hour will get it back to 100% charge.

not a fix but at least I am able to use my iphone until I can afford a new one. hope this helps as I thought my phone was junk when this happened to me.

I tried the reset and it did not help.

Last edited:

Paulyj85

macrumors newbie
Nov 26, 2018
I had this 4% problem tonight and went to Verizon. It was a problem with the lightening cable. I bought a new one and now have no issues

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.