Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

docprego

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jun 12, 2007
Henderson, NV
I've read many complaints from people about how the Smart Cover damaged their iPad. I'd really like to use one but this possibility of damage has kept me from doing so thus far.

I'm not exactly sure why the Smart Cover is damaging iPads so I can't really come up with a plan of attack on my own to avoid this. Does anyone know definitively why this damage is occurring? Has anyone modified the Smart Cover in any way in order to completely avoid damage that it might have otherwise caused?

Mindy60

macrumors regular
Oct 24, 2011
Houston, TX USA
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A334 Safari/7534.48.3)

The Bear Motion case locks the screen (a "smart cover") so not sure why anyone would want to use a smart cover if it damages iPads. You can find the Bear Motion case on Amazon for only $35.99 with free shipping. I got mine in 2 days.

MrRon

macrumors regular
Oct 13, 2011
Miami, FL
I've read many complaints from people about how the Smart Cover damaged their iPad. I'd really like to use one but this possibility of damage has kept me from doing so thus far.

I'm not exactly sure why the Smart Cover is damaging iPads so I can't really come up with a plan of attack on my own to avoid this. Does anyone know definitively why this damage is occurring? Has anyone modified the Smart Cover in any way in order to completely avoid damage that it might have otherwise caused?

I don't think you need to modify the smart cover. the main concern for the smart cover is the accidental detachment which most people don't aware. I would suggest you to use the zum sc case.

I have used the smart cover for 2 months, and it never left any scratch mark on my iPad.

One more thing, make sure you are using the REAL smart cover. Some of the fake smart covers (my friend had one) of course may scratch your iPad 2.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.