Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

AnthonyFlower

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 4, 2011
UK
I have a bit of a problem:

When I record a video on my iPhone 4s they play back fine.
Transfer them to iPhoto still plays back fine.
Add them to iTunes, still plays back fine.
Try and play them on Apple TV and it plays the first second or two then throws up an error.

I have tried with a few now, happens every time. My previous iPhone was the 3G so I can't compare to other iPhone videos.

Has anyone else had this problem? Any ideas on cause or solution?

HobeSoundDarryl

macrumors G5
Import into iMovie or iTunes and convert to an :apple:TV version. The iPhone 4S is recording at 1080p. The :apple:TV is technically limited to 720p though some people claim varying levels of success with how well it can downconvert on the fly.

The fundamental problem is that the iPhone 4S is ahead of the :apple:TV in hardware capabilities. The phone has taken the next step and the :apple:TV has not (yet). Expect updated :apple:TV hardware at some point (hopefully soon). In the meantime, render a version specifically for :apple:TV and it should play fine.

AnthonyFlower

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 4, 2011
UK
Thank you for your answer, I think for now, rather than replacing them with a lower quality or having two copies of all our home movies (original and a converted one for Apple TV) I'll just keep popping them in iTunes as is and hope Apple release a new AppleTV box at some point in the near future.

HobeSoundDarryl

macrumors G5
Yes. My own hope is for an update sooner than later but many guess it will be next fall as the earliest. That could be a long time to go without easily being able to play those movies. Maybe consider making :apple:TV versions for now and archiving the full quality ones for when Apple finally gets around to delivering a 1080p :apple:TV?

AnthonyFlower

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 4, 2011
UK
I might do with a few movies but the bulk will be more momentos for the future. Hopefully there will have been a new Apple TV long before anyone wants to watch them again.

Until then they play just fine on my iMac and on the iPad if anyone gets desperate to see my five year old sing a song she made up about fairies or watch my three year old going nuts with his toy cars.

slu

macrumors 68000
Sep 15, 2004
Buffalo
Can you Airplay them from the 4S to the AppleTV? Might be a decent workaround...

dgalvan123

macrumors 6502a
Feb 16, 2008
Just to chime in:

I agree with HobeSoundDarryl's explanation, but just thought I'd add my own experience to corroborate the original poster's issue.

I don't have an iPhone 4s, but I have a Canon Rebel T2i which shoots 1080p movies that go into iPhoto by default. There is some interesting behavior here, which perhaps matches what you are seeing on the iphone 4s:

-1080p videos simply left in iPhoto, with iTunes photo-sharing and "include videos" box checked turn on, are available on my ATV2 through the Photos section. However when the video is selected to play on the ATV2, the wheel spins, the beginning of the video starts playing, but then usually the ATV2 throws an error or even reboots itself. This seems to happen for videos longer than 30 seconds or so. The shorter videos will sometimes play all the way through just fine.

-Those videos I have dragged into iTunes using the "option+drag" method (whereby the movie file itself is not copied, just the path to the movie file is given to iTunes) from their iPhoto directory play fine when viewed on the Apple TV in the "movies section". Let me be clear: When navigating to these movies on the ATV2 by going to Photos and seeing the videos amongst the photos, the ATV2 reboots or just crashes when trying to play the movies. But if you navigate to the movie in the Movies section (since it is now in iTunes), that version of the movie plays just fine on the Apple TV, without crashing.

This is especially odd because both the Photos section and the Movies section on the Apple TV are pointing to the EXACT SAME MOVIE FILE. There is only one copy of this .mov file on my mac: sitting in my iphoto library directories. iPhoto points to it, and iTunes serves that pointer to the ATV2, but it crashes when I try to view it on the ATV2 through the "Photos" section. iTunes ALSO points to that same .mov file, and ATV2 DOESN'T CRASH when I access it through the "Movies" section. This uncompressed .mov 1080p file has NOT been copied/compressed by iTunes (unless it is doing it on the fly), and yet the same movie file served to the ATV2 in two different ways plays differently.

I wonder if the original poster with the iPhone 4s videos can test to see if you see the same behavior with your 1080p videos?

-As expected, those videos I have simply dragged into itunes (NOT using option+drag), allowing iTunes to copy the file and compress the video, play fine on the ATV2. But now you have two copies of the same movie. Not great for storage concerns, since most people will want to keep the original, uncompressed movie file, so adding the compressed (albeit smaller) file is just extra wasted storage space. Storage is not SUPER expensive, but its expensive enough to be annoying.

AnthonyFlower

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 4, 2011
UK
Can you Airplay them from the 4S to the AppleTV? Might be a decent workaround...

No, although if it did work the phone would fill up fast leaving all videos on it anyway. :(

----------

Just to chime in:

I agree with HobeSoundDarryl's explanation, but just thought I'd add my own experience to corroborate the original poster's issue.

I don't have an iPhone 4s, but I have a Canon Rebel T2i which shoots 1080p movies that go into iPhoto by default. There is some interesting behavior here, which perhaps matches what you are seeing on the iphone 4s:

-1080p videos simply left in iPhoto, with iTunes photo-sharing and "include videos" box checked turn on, are available on my ATV2 through the Photos section. However when the video is selected to play on the ATV2, the wheel spins, the beginning of the video starts playing, but then usually the ATV2 throws an error or even reboots itself. This seems to happen for videos longer than 30 seconds or so. The shorter videos will sometimes play all the way through just fine.

-Those videos I have dragged into iTunes using the "option+drag" method (whereby the movie file itself is not copied, just the path to the movie file is given to iTunes) from their iPhoto directory play fine when viewed on the Apple TV in the "movies section". Let me be clear: When navigating to these movies on the ATV2 by going to Photos and seeing the videos amongst the photos, the ATV2 reboots or just crashes when trying to play the movies. But if you navigate to the movie in the Movies section (since it is now in iTunes), that version of the movie plays just fine on the Apple TV, without crashing.

This is especially odd because both the Photos section and the Movies section on the Apple TV are pointing to the EXACT SAME MOVIE FILE. There is only one copy of this .mov file on my mac: sitting in my iphoto library directories. iPhoto points to it, and iTunes serves that pointer to the ATV2, but it crashes when I try to view it on the ATV2 through the "Photos" section. iTunes ALSO points to that same .mov file, and ATV2 DOESN'T CRASH when I access it through the "Movies" section. This uncompressed .mov 1080p file has NOT been copied/compressed by iTunes (unless it is doing it on the fly), and yet the same movie file served to the ATV2 in two different ways plays differently.

I wonder if the original poster with the iPhone 4s videos can test to see if you see the same behavior with your 1080p videos?

-As expected, those videos I have simply dragged into itunes (NOT using option+drag), allowing iTunes to copy the file and compress the video, play fine on the ATV2. But now you have two copies of the same movie. Not great for storage concerns, since most people will want to keep the original, uncompressed movie file, so adding the compressed (albeit smaller) file is just extra wasted storage space. Storage is not SUPER expensive, but its expensive enough to be annoying.

You mention at the end that the ones you simply drag into iTunes do work, this is what I did and are the ones that don't work sadly. I'm going to try the option+drag idea tomorrow and will update the thread then unless someone else does t sooner. Thanks.

AnthonyFlower

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 4, 2011
UK
Yes you can.
I airplay my 4S videos to the AppleTV just fine.

That is odd, mine won't do it, same error as streaming from iTunes.

Could be a bandwidth issue although the Apple TV is wired to the router and wireless traffic on the network would be pretty low, couple of mobile devices and one iMac doing nothing special.

AnthonyFlower

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 4, 2011
UK
The update released this morning has fixed this issue for me. Both iPhone HD videos in iTunes and streamed direct from the phone now work! Very happy.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.