Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

stevejobscovertiteled-500x340.png

NBC Nightly News Anchor Brian Williams has nominated Apple cofounder Steve Jobs for Time Magazine's "Person of the Year" award. Williams said in his speech nominating Jobs:
One guy, who changed our world, and I said to Seth Meyers as we walked across Sixth Avenue, "Just look with me on this one block walk at how he changed the world around us. Look at how he changed the world." Not only did he change the world, but he gave us that spirit again that something was possible that you could look at a piece of plastic or glass and move your finger-- that's outlandish. You could make things bigger or smaller like that. "Oh the places you'll go" and oh the way you will change forever the music and television industries. So may he rest in peace, Steve Jobs, and the spirit he represents, are my nominee for Person of the Year.
If selected, Jobs would be the first person to receive the award posthumously. Steve Jobs was a mentor to Mark Zuckerberg, 2010's Person of the Year.

Time's Person of the Year is awarded to "a person, couple, group, idea, place, or machine that "for better or for worse, ...has done the most to influence the events of the year.'"

Past technology-related awards have gone to American Scientists in 1960, the Apollo 8 Astronauts in 1968, "You" in 2006, representing the individual content creator on the Internet, and "The Computer" in 1982.

The award will be presented in December.

Article Link: Steve Jobs Nominated for Time Magazine "Person of the Year"

inlovewithi

macrumors 6502a
Sep 23, 2009
Just cause he died? I was listening to Howard Stern, he literarly thinks that Steve Jobs personally invented the mp3 player and the touch screen. The touch screen in my Nintendo DS and pocket PC both in 2004 were invented by Steve Jobs. That's the reality for so many.

emwgradstudent

macrumors member
Feb 5, 2011
Rolling Stone

I am also pretty sure that the October 27 issue of Rolling Stone is the first time Steve ever appeared on the cover. I think he would have liked that as well. Appearing on the same cover of the same publication that the Beatles and Bob Dylan appeared on several times. Too bad he did not live to see it.

I hope he gets the Person of the Year award. I believe that he would have been nominated even if he hadn't died, since he resigned from Apple and it was the end of an era.

feflower

macrumors regular
Jun 25, 2009
At first I disagreed because it would seem like a "pity prize" because he died prematurely. There were other years where he surely would have deserved it.

But with some more thought: his personality, his products, and the amplification of his personality and his impact in the public consciousness because of his death, made me reconsider. Also consider the popularity and iconicity of his products and his image, especially around the world--all points towards this honour (that is if Time Magazine still has such cultural capital). I am sure his face has become one of the most recognizable in the world.

This award often does not go to the person who has (practically) contributed most to humanity, but who has loomed large in the public imagination--which in many ways does make a huge impact.

Who might the other candidates be?

Lone Deranger

macrumors 68000
Apr 23, 2006
Tokyo, Japan
I still can’t believe Zuckerberg won the award last year. Just like Obama winning the Nobel peace price, the prestige of both these awards has been tainted as a result.

Padraig

macrumors 6502a
Dec 12, 2005
Odd choice, given the criteria as "a person, couple, group, idea, place, or machine that "for better or for worse, ...has done the most to influence the events of the year. This was probably his least influential year at Apple, a year where the company hasn't done much besides iterate on it's existing products.

Shrink

macrumors G3
Feb 26, 2011
New England, USA
Just cause he died? I was listening to Howard Stern, he literarly thinks that Steve Jobs personally invented the mp3 player and the touch screen. The touch screen in my Nintendo DS and pocket PC both in 2004 were invented by Steve Jobs. That's the reality for so many.

Howard Stern as a source of accurate information!!??:eek: That's an oxymoron.

Now, if you want accurate information - Fox News.:rolleyes::p

I think he should be inducted into the hall of ingeniosity too. Forget the Androidiots

"...ingeniosity...". !!??:confused:

As far as Person of the Year - Jobs is no worse than many who have been named in the past.

Kid A

macrumors regular
May 1, 2008
Ugh... macrumors just had to remind us of Time's POTY 2006, "You".

I admit, I never read that issue, but it just annoyed the piss out of me everytime I saw it on the newstand. I'm all for people-power and user-created content, but give me a break. How lazy and cheesy was that choice?!

Most Time readers, especially back in 2006, hadn't contributed a damn bit of content to the internet, and to the extent a small portion had, it wasn't anything of significant value. "You". Please.

Sorrry... </rant>

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.