Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

howya111

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 22, 2011
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A405 Safari/7534.48.3)

I want to sell my MacBook pro that I got about two years ago, what is the best way to completely erase my hard drive and wipe it clean so the buyer have any of my stuff on it? Does OSX have it's own app or is there a free download that works better.
Thanks for all of your help.

hfg

macrumors 68040
Dec 1, 2006
Cedar Rapids, IA. USA
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A405 Safari/7534.48.3)

I want to sell my MacBook pro that I got about two years ago, what is the best way to completely erase my hard drive and wipe it clean so the buyer have any of my stuff on it? Does OSX have it's own app or is there a free download that works better.
Thanks for all of your help.

Use "Disk Utility" after booting from your installation disks, and do a "secure erase" by setting the security wipe to 1 pass. This will write "0s" over the entire disk. Then exit Disk Utility and continue with the OS X installation. When it gets to the welcome video and stops, force power-down. When the new user starts it up, it will be just like the new computer out-of-box experience, and the new user can register it with Apple and set up their own environment.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.