Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

CrystalPepsi

macrumors regular
Feb 3, 2011
hmmm i wonder why mine says "The Apple product serial number you entered is not part of this program." even though i received it as part of the back to school promo back in september of '06 for free.

Edit: Disregard below. I can't read. Leaving up as a reminder of my stupidity.

Affected iPod nanos were sold between September 2005 and December 2006.

Last edited:

ufsj

macrumors newbie
Nov 9, 2011
Will it matter that the iPod has physical damage? I have one that qualifies for the replacement but it has a cracked screen (now I just leave it hooked up to the car)

jetglo

macrumors newbie
Jan 21, 2010
Deep in the woods
From the email I received:

"You will receive a replacement unit approximately 6 weeks after we receive your current iPod nano (1st gen)."

This, to me, doesn't "scream repair". It states it will be replaced. Replaced = new unit.

Or it could just mean your unit won't be the one you'll be getting back.

Atlantico

macrumors 6502
May 3, 2011
BCN
Well, I am mildly curious to see what Apple intends to use as a "replacement unit" as they put it, but no way, no how am I sending in my perfectly functioning 1st gen iPod nano.

I love that thing and I have many great memories connected to that unit.

I got it in november 2005 and it still works like the day I got it. Still use it when I don't want to have the bulky iPod touch on me.

vashspike

macrumors member
Nov 11, 2011
A never-ending loop
I would think it would be easier for Apple to just substitute a recent or current gen iPod to replace it. It would be a loss overall as any recall results in but it would make more sense than bringing the old one back into production or meticulously repairing each one individually and sending them back out refurbished. They will most likely scrap the ones that are mailed in and send out suitable replacements IMHO.

I'm excited either way, I still have mine and it holds no sentimental value for me just a battery that does't hold a charge. The new ones make for a much better workout companion. Those of you who prefer this old one like it for nostalgia (and arguably the click wheel) and I understand that but saying that it is a superior device is just plain silly. Each new one has been superior, better screens, smaller form factor, better performance, increased batter life (non explosive to boot) and new features (subject to later removal i.e. video playback).

Still I can see that there may be backlash for those people who send theirs in only to receive and "upgraded" model instead of the device they originally purchased and this could pose a PR dilemma. This is a strangely interesting topic. Discuss. :apple:

CrystalPepsi

macrumors regular
Feb 3, 2011
Will it matter that the iPod has physical damage? I have one that qualifies for the replacement but it has a cracked screen (now I just leave it hooked up to the car)

I seriously doubt it. They will probably verify the serial number, toss it in a bin for recycling, and send out a new one. It would take a lot of time to attempt to charge up 5 year old nanos (mostly surely have dead batteries), do a diagnostic on them, visually inspect them, etc.

----------

He said Sept 06, and Apple said BETWEEN Sept 05 THROUGH Dec 06. I think it fits. :)

I'm dumb. Thanks for the correction. That's a lot of ipods!

davDC5

macrumors newbie
Dec 24, 2010
Sweet.. just found out about this on Engadget. Had mine since Junior year of HS and I remember listening to it at work all the time. Hahaa not sure if I want to send it in. I have this plugged in 24/7 in my car.. Just took it out and it looks like it still works perfectly fine and can hold over an hour charge.

jap1198

macrumors 6502
Jun 11, 2009
Dallas, TX
I, for one, can't wait to get a replacement. This iPod has just been sitting in the back of my desk. The click wheel doesn't work and the it only turns on if you plug it in to an outlet. I'm just as curious as everyone else to see what the actual replacement will be.

wordoflife

macrumors 604
Jul 6, 2009
I'm thinking they're going to give us back a first gen since it's only going to come with a 90 day warranty.

tjwaido

macrumors member
Aug 24, 2008
The wild west.
Kinda like the click wheel, but I hardly use mine. Would like to get an upgrade whatever it may be, don't want the battery to explode on me, plus, I can give it as a present or sell it if I don't need the new nano.

Apple has always pulled through for me on recalls. Most products I have had trouble with have been fixed or replaced for free, even out of warranty. Free is good. :)

Theclamshell

macrumors 68030
Mar 2, 2009
In the Asian recalls it states they replaced the battery's and cases with new ones. looks like we may just get new first gen nanos. I hope we get new ones though!!

tjwaido

macrumors member
Aug 24, 2008
The wild west.
I'm thinking they're going to give us back a first gen since it's only going to come with a 90 day warranty.

Although it was a different company, Olympus replaced my camera with a brand new upgraded model with only 90 day warranty. I assume, somewhere in the law to protect the consumer, any replacement comes with 90 day warranty, new or referbished. Who knows? I haven't seen anything at this point what it will be replaced with.

russellelly

macrumors regular
Jun 23, 2006
Glasgow, UK
What a classic design. I remember the keynote when it fitted I'm the tiny part of the pocket in jeans. Blew me away. Sadly, after years of good service, I lost mine om holiday a year or so ago :(

faroZ06

macrumors 68040
Apr 3, 2009
I miss it when iPods weren't so small that you'd lose them. I just want a bulky device with a ton of storage that isn't expensive.

na1577

macrumors 6502a
Jan 20, 2008
In the Asian recalls it states they replaced the battery's and cases with new ones. looks like we may just get new first gen nanos. I hope we get new ones though!!

Hmm, I'd say it's a nice deal if you get a like-new first gen nano. :D I can't imagine many 1G nanos are in good condition after 6 years, so a fresh replacement sounds good.

Theclamshell

macrumors 68030
Mar 2, 2009
Hmm, I'd say it's a nice deal if you get a like-new first gen nano. :D I can't imagine many 1G nanos are in good condition after 6 years, so a fresh replacement sounds good.

I agree. The way I see it though is you can send in a broken one but they will not replace the screen so if the problem was the screen it will still be broken. If the scroll wheel is dead though you may be in luck.

undftd

macrumors newbie
Dec 31, 2009
awesome, this is the only old iPod that I have kept, all my previous iPods I have just sold when the new one came out, can't wait to see what they send back ;)

Deelron

macrumors regular
Jan 30, 2009
I still love my Nano and actually do hope they just send me a refurbished one with a new battery.

japanime

macrumors 68030
Feb 27, 2006
Japan
My first-generation iPod nano was replaced under the Japan program last year. The replacement unit was in fact a first-generation iPod nano.

I presume that the replacements this time will also be first-generation nanos.

jap1198

macrumors 6502
Jun 11, 2009
Dallas, TX
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A405 Safari/7534.48.3)

I can't believe they still have 1st gen iPod's laying around.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.