Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

StevenQ

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 12, 2011
Hi, new user here :) (actually been lurking around as a guest for quite a while..)

I got my new MBP some days ago and I gotta say I love it. I already did some gaming but I don't seem to get the FPS I've seen in some threads with the 6750M.

My first question would be if the drivers posted here are the most recent and fitting ones for the new Late 2011 model. Completely lost oversight about AMD drivers so I hope someone can enlighten me. ;)

Second.
20111112120549.png
As you can see, the clock speeds are slightly below the advertised 725/900 or 725/1600 clocks. It was also already at 0.9V when I had my Boot Camp drivers installed, I now can't see it in GPU-Z with the new drivers.

Can anyone give me advice on how to "overclock" (at least how to get it running at stock speeds), like, which program I should use, which temperature I shouldn't exceed, which "volt numbers" (?) are okay and so on. Or maybe (even better) if someone with a late 2011 model can post their experiences with overclocking etc.

FPS in BF3 e.g. are only at 20-28 at native resolution (HR 1680x1050) and everything set to middle + anisotropic x2 and anti-aliasing off. Some of you have gotten 30 with everything on high so I'm a bit desperate. ;)

Thanks in advance

shardey

macrumors 6502a
Jan 28, 2010
Colorado
You probably need to uninstall the Apple drivers and install catalyst 11.10. I have the 17" with the 6750 and was getting under 25 fps with everything turned down at native resolution.

I over clocked my GPU to 775/975 @.955v and at medium settings at 1920x1200, I can easily get 35+fps.

Good drivers really do help. Also I have 2 80gb intel 320 SSD in my pro with 1866mhz hyper x ram, not sure if that has anything to do with the bumps in my fps.

Trebuin

macrumors 65816
Jun 3, 2008
Central Cali
Since this seems to be the top google thread with the 6770m overclock, here's my perspective from reading the 6750 thread and testing my 6770m setup with 1GB.

The overclock is almost exactly the same as the 6750. I would say that the GPU is exactly the same, just with a higher clock as everyone mentioned. I overclocked it to 840/1000 1.005v and got 12179 3dmark06 and 850/1010 1.005v /w 12234 3dmark06. The GPU goes completely unstable after 850 and the memory starts throwing artifacts at 1050, exactly the same limits as the 6750...which makes since from everyone's guess about the same chip with different clocks. I upped the voltage and just could not get any more performance out of it. I though the 1GB GDDR5 might change things, but the memory is probably the exact same build so the same limits and hence why the 6770 seems to be the last of the common chip build. The extra memory has no effect on the synthetic benchmarks, but could help on games.

The differences I did notice is that I can run at a higher performance with lower voltage, 1.005V is the max I need as opposed to 1.020v. Also, I can't seem to downvolt it well at all. the base performance has to be 1.000v or any demand causes the computer to crash. Granted the next lower I tested was .995v where this occurred. The other major benefit is that since the clock is higher naturally, OSX games get a performance boost that we can't induce otherwise.

In my opinion, Apple has virtually allowed the overclock specs with a decent factor of safety as a default clock for OSX. Windows, you can push roughly a 20% performance increase with no factor of safety. Heat is not an issue at 1.005V with it initially going to 85C max (GPU demand only) and then dropping to 78C when the fans kick in at about 85%. Overall, I would say probably the same overall performance as the high end early 2011 MBP with 512 MB VRAM.

StevenQ

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 12, 2011
overclock is almost exactly the same as the 6750. I would say that the GPU is exactly the same, just with a higher clock as everyone mentioned. I overclocked it to 840/1000 1.005v and got 12179 3dmark06 and 850/1010 1.005v /w 12234 3dmark06.

Hi, thanks for the answer. I've been trying out some clocks by myself and I'm currently running at 800/900 and 0.955V (i think it's 0955 but i gotta recheck when i get home). Temperature is between 75-83 max. Fans kick in very early e.g. when browsing the web. Really sucks that there is no intel-amd switch like in OS X :/

For how long have you been gaming/working with 840/1000? Can I overclock to this safely if i'll be gaming for 2-3 hours straight? Thanks.

dodus

macrumors newbie
Jan 12, 2007
I hope no one minds if I post my own question here...as someone else said this is the first thing that comes up.

I've read this thread, all of the other thread, kind of felt like I had a basic grasp of overclocking so used ATI to get it up to 800/950 at 1V, temperature stabilizes at around 82C, so good enough for a first shot I suppose and...Skyrim won't even start. It just acts like it's going to start, freezes the desktop, and dumps me back out with the GPU still running full speed.

I can't even run the program with the fans at stock. I have to uninstall ATI tools to even play. Am I an idiot? What am I doing wrong?

thundersteele

macrumors 68030
Oct 19, 2011
Switzerland
There are small variations between the chips. Maybe yours is more sensitive and can't take that amount of overclocking. Just run it at it's base speed.

Hellhammer

Moderator emeritus
Dec 10, 2008
Finland
I hope no one minds if I post my own question here...as someone else said this is the first thing that comes up.

I've read this thread, all of the other thread, kind of felt like I had a basic grasp of overclocking so used ATI to get it up to 800/950 at 1V, temperature stabilizes at around 82C, so good enough for a first shot I suppose and...Skyrim won't even start. It just acts like it's going to start, freezes the desktop, and dumps me back out with the GPU still running full speed.

I can't even run the program with the fans at stock. I have to uninstall ATI tools to even play. Am I an idiot? What am I doing wrong?

Are you sure you have the latest drivers and patches for Skyrim? This sounds like a software issue. Try reinstalling Skyrim etc.

Trebuin

macrumors 65816
Jun 3, 2008
Central Cali
Hi, thanks for the answer. I've been trying out some clocks by myself and I'm currently running at 800/900 and 0.955V (i think it's 0955 but i gotta recheck when i get home). Temperature is between 75-83 max. Fans kick in very early e.g. when browsing the web. Really sucks that there is no intel-amd switch like in OS X :/

For how long have you been gaming/working with 840/1000? Can I overclock to this safely if i'll be gaming for 2-3 hours straight? Thanks.

sorry about the late response but for anyone else who cares:

If you can keep the temp below 80C, you can indefinitely run anything, provided other things don't stop you. The next step is stability, you just have to try your card out, every card is a little different an you just have to try testing. Start low and slowly go up. When you find instability, you should drop between 5-10% back from the last working limit. This is called a factor of safety and 10% below that limit should definitely not have issues.

Jens Engels

macrumors member
Feb 24, 2011

What are your settings now? my settings on my mbp (early 2011) are:

0,955 volt
790 Core speed
900 memory speed

i'm using "ati tray tools" to overclock.

should i go up a notch?

StevenQ

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 12, 2011
What are your settings now? my settings on my mbp (early 2011) are:

0,955 volt
790 Core speed
900 memory speed

i'm using "ati tray tools" to overclock.

should i go up a notch?

I'm going with 800 Core, 960 Memory @ 1.0V for gaming. Running pretty stable for a long time now. :)

cluseau

macrumors newbie
Mar 28, 2013
bios

Hi, new user here :) (actually been lurking around as a guest for quite a while..)

I got my new MBP some days ago and I gotta say I love it. I already did some gaming but I don't seem to get the FPS I've seen in some threads with the 6750M.

My first question would be if the drivers posted here are the most recent and fitting ones for the new Late 2011 model. Completely lost oversight about AMD drivers so I hope someone can enlighten me. ;)

Second. Image As you can see, the clock speeds are slightly below the advertised 725/900 or 725/1600 clocks. It was also already at 0.9V when I had my Boot Camp drivers installed, I now can't see it in GPU-Z with the new drivers.

Can anyone give me advice on how to "overclock" (at least how to get it running at stock speeds), like, which program I should use, which temperature I shouldn't exceed, which "volt numbers" (?) are okay and so on. Or maybe (even better) if someone with a late 2011 model can post their experiences with overclocking etc.

FPS in BF3 e.g. are only at 20-28 at native resolution (HR 1680x1050) and everything set to middle + anisotropic x2 and anti-aliasing off. Some of you have gotten 30 with everything on high so I'm a bit desperate. ;)

Thanks in advance

RE- can u pls post your bios cause gpu z dosent read my bios and I have radeon 6770m 2GB same as urs pls post quickly

Last edited:

Reid1980

macrumors newbie
Apr 10, 2013

I never even thought that was the issue. I am having problems launching skyrim now that I've installed the amd tools as well. Just freezes when I click on the icon and have to hard restart my computer. It's a late 2011 15" MBP with the AMD 6750 1GB GPU

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.