Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ShionoyaTamaki

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 9, 2011
Anyone had their iPhone 4s lose internet connectivity but still able to make phone calls? Like all my apps that require internet connection would not work. Maps, Safari, Mail. I couldn't even locate my phone via find my phone service.

I toggled air plane mode on/off and didn't fix it. I had to turn off the iPhone to fix things. Just curious if anyone know of the cause or experienced?

Last edited:

dontwalkhand

macrumors 603
Jul 5, 2007
Phoenix, AZ
Who is your carrier? And with both GSM and CDMA, phone calls do not need a constant connection to the internet to be able to make calls, calls travel over the cellular voice network.

ShionoyaTamaki

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 9, 2011
phone calls don't need internet data to make calls. So I don't know wats your issue is here!

Issue was I had no internet connection via 3G, but still able to make voice phone calls. Meaning I can't surf the internet or lookup mapping direction. Yet I can call people to talk to.

Who is your carrier? And with both GSM and CDMA, phone calls do not need a constant connection to the internet to be able to make calls, calls travel over the cellular voice network.

My carrier is AT&T GSM. But I wasn't able to get internet connection in either case; on the phone or off.

aziatiklover

macrumors 68030
Jul 12, 2011
8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4
Issue was I had no internet connection via 3G, but still able to make voice phone calls. Meaning I can't surf the internet or lookup mapping direction. Yet I can call people to talk to.

My carrier is AT&T GSM. But I wasn't able to get internet connection in either case; on the phone or off.

ok and? Phone calls don't need 3g data to work you knew that right? No 3g at that time maybe att deadzone or your cellular data is turn off.

ShionoyaTamaki

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 9, 2011
I was driving around town today so don't think it was a deadzone if I was in one. I could have had "Cellular data" off and that would explain it since restarting the iPhone probably enables it back on. But, I know i didnt turn that off unless someone was fiddling with my phone. Maybe something went corrupt, process crashed or glitchy by chance.

aziatiklover

macrumors 68030
Jul 12, 2011
8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4
I was driving around town today so don't think it was a deadzone if I was in one. I could have had "Cellular data" off and that would explain it since restarting the iPhone probably enables it back on. But, I know i didnt turn that off unless someone was fiddling with my phone. Maybe something went corrupt, process crashed or glitchy by chance.

why not giving att a call about their ****** 3g data before you jump into its the phone? I usually see that a lot when its the carrier fault. Or try to restore your phone!

----------

The brainwashing that you need data plans to use a cellphone is finally starting to work :eek:

I know rite lol.

MayBee

macrumors 6502
Oct 21, 2011
LOL....you do NOT need internet connection via 3G to make or receive calls :) 3G is only for data...NOT voice.

ShionoyaTamaki

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 9, 2011
why not giving att a call about their ****** 3g data before you jump into its the phone? I usually see that a lot when its the carrier fault. Or try to restore your phone!

It could be the carrier's fault, however it could also be the phone's fault or both.

All i know is I normally have internet connection driving around the city for work. Today I couldnt get any connection all day until I tried restarting the phone when I got home. However, I was still able to make phone calls while on the road. Because restarting work deductive reason gives me the impression something could be going on in the phone. Maybe a certain OS process/daemon crashed or something which can happen.

aziatiklover

macrumors 68030
Jul 12, 2011
8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4
It could be the carrier's fault, however it could also be the phone's fault or both.

All i know is I normally have internet connection driving around the city for work. Today I couldnt get any connection all day until I tried restarting the phone when I got home. However, I was still able to make phone calls while on the road.

ok koo, but it doesn't really made sense when you keep saying "making calls without 3g cellular data" like I said and others you do not need cellular data to have voice data. You are making yourself sound like a noob or something. Anyways next time you are having the same issue I would call att first and ask them wats up with 3g data in your area.

ShionoyaTamaki

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 9, 2011
ok koo, but it doesn't really made sense when you keep saying "making calls without 3g cellular data" like I said and others you do not need cellular data to have voice data. You are making yourself sound like a noob or something.

I am not disputing or arguing the fact your don't need 3G to make voice phone calls, but just stating the fact and information to ask for possible causes of the situation which you have provided one being the "cellular data" option being off, which it might have been. There may be other causes unknown.

I would call att first and ask them wats up with 3g data in your area.

Lol. I've lost all faith in AT&T support, likely they will just read me a scripted response. But since I've already resolved it myself my restarting the phone. I'll probably fare a better chance getting better info asking on the forums here of others that might share my case.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.