Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

prowat

macrumors newbie
Nov 12, 2011
Actually using a substitute Flash Player plugin

I set tenfourfox.plugins.enabled to true, and downloaded "Low Quality Flash", for our PPC G5 mac with OSX 10.5, and have TenFourFox 8.

But I am still asked to download the latest Adobe Flash Player, when I try to
run a Youtube video.

I assume there is something else I have to do,
What is it?

Thanks for any help.

prowat

macrumors newbie
Nov 12, 2011
Using MacTubes for Youtube??

I've set tenfourfox.plugins.enabled to true as described by RMT25, downloaded MacTubes. Still cannot play youtube videos.
What else do I need to do to see youtube videos?

zen.state

macrumors 68020
Mar 13, 2005
I've set tenfourfox.plugins.enabled to true as described by RMT25, downloaded MacTubes. Still cannot play youtube videos.
What else do I need to do to see youtube videos?

Set the player type to Quicktime in the MacTubes preferences. I prefer not to involve the web at all and just use MacTubes. Once I got used to this different method/interface I actually prefer it. The worst thing about YT is all the stupid ignorant comments people make and using MT frees you from having to ever even look at it.

The key to finding a good solution to anything is looking at alternative methods rather than just making the mainstream one work "better".

skateny

macrumors 6502
Jul 19, 2012
New York, NY
Installing Flash on your Mac

I gave up and simply went back to using Safari. The 10/4/fox website is down. Adobe no longer supports Flash on Ppc machines, and I couldn't get answers on this or companion forums.

I'm quite happy with Safari. In fact I don't even know what the impetus was to use Firefox or TenFourFox in the first place. No support from those folks. Though I backed up all my TFF files, I cannot figure how to import the bookmarks. Nobody is home at TenFourFox.

But hey, it was free so there is no justification for complaining.

This is one way of installing Flash. I used another method, but I can't find the clip.

skateny

macrumors 6502
Jul 19, 2012
New York, NY
Does it really run faster than aurorafox? this is not to dis TFF just that as he progressed with development it go much slower..

http://www.macupdate.com/app/mac/43362/aurorafox

That's a good question.

I don't know the answer, but I'm betting that AuroraFox runs faster. Just a hunch, based on the the speed decrement to which you refer.

I might put it to the test when I have the time.

Your input on this forum is much appreciated.

GermanyChris

macrumors 601
Jul 3, 2011
Here
That's a good question.

I don't know the answer, but I'm betting that AuroraFox runs faster. Just a hunch, based on the the speed decrement to which you refer.

I might put it to the test when I have the time.

Your input on this forum is much appreciated.

I have a quad and I sure that Aurora runs better on it than TFF..

The question is more directed the G3-G4 guys..

jonnyappledeed

macrumors newbie
Apr 7, 2013
Thanks RMT25

I see a lot of people asking how to enable Adobe Flash on TenFourfox 6 and above here. :apple:

-Thanks to "MAC MAN JW" at the TenFourFox blog for this easy to understand guide.

http://tenfourfox.blogspot.com/

Thanks for posting this. I first used this tutorial to get Flash 11.1.102.55 into Safari using 10.4.11 on iMac G5 2.1 (isight)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iCrAKhv3R_c

I then downloaded TenFourFox 17.0.5
Then I used the tip described in your post.
Then downloaded Flash 10.1.102.64 using TFF browser. When I went to install it, Adobe gave me the message I already had a newer version.

So I went here to check:

http://helpx.adobe.com/flash-player/kb/find-version-flash-player.html

All is well, Thanks again. BTW I registered because of your post. Awesome.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.