Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

drkash

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 19, 2010
UK
Updating ip4s to ios 5.0.1...at end of update when phone was restarting the screen went black and itunes message that phone is in recovery mode.

Now screen black (no white icon), wont turn on, although it is recognised in itunes as "iphone" rather than my usual iphones name. Putting it in DFU mode does not lead to any changes to the screen (ie no picture of the usb/itunes logo). My only option is to click restore which I've done multiple times and it keeps transferring it to the iphone (status bar on iphone comes on) but when its meant to restart I keen getting the error message:

"itunes has detected an iphone in recovery mode. You must restore the iphone before it can be used in itunes"

Then the same thing happens each time I restore.

I deleted the backup file from my PC forcing itunes to re-download the ios file and tried again but at the end always the same message as above!

I've checked itunes/PC is up to date. My phone just seems to be stuck in recovery mode.

Help please!

Mr.C

macrumors 603
Apr 3, 2011
London, UK.
It's possible you downloaded an incomplete update and that messed up the phone. I had a problem with my iPad 2 when I tried to update it to 5.0 and it ended up in a continuous reset cycle. I took it to a local Apple store and the Genius told me it was due to an incomplete download resulting with problems from the verifying with Apple servers process. He managed to fix it on the spot and install iOS 5 for me. If you have an Apple store near you I suggest you make an appt. with the Genius bar.

drkash

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 19, 2010
UK
Thanks, I've made an appointment with the genius
Just wandering what do they do that we can't at home??

drkash

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 19, 2010
UK
Ok will try that...but its a legal download right? Nothing that will void my apple warranty?

So after downloading it what do I do? How do I update/restore...just click restore again in itunes? How will it know where the downloaded file is?

Thanks

kolax

macrumors G3
Mar 20, 2007
Ok will try that...but its a legal download right? Nothing that will void my apple warranty?

So after downloading it what do I do? How do I update/restore...just click restore again in itunes? How will it know where the downloaded file is?

Thanks

Yeah it's a legal download, of course. It's just a direct link rather than using iTunes.

Hold down "alt" while clicking restore and you'll be able to navigate to that file you downloaded to install it.

drkash

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 19, 2010
UK
Hold down "alt" while clicking restore and you'll be able to navigate to that file you downloaded to install it.

I tried the above (using works PC, havent downloaded the file but thought I'd see if the alt thing worked)...but it didnt give me the options to choose any file, it just connected to apple servers and started the restore procedure (the ios 5 file was previously downloaded today on this pc if that makes any difference?)
Appreciate your help

SDColorado

macrumors 601
Nov 6, 2011
Highlands Ranch, CO
Thanks, I've made an appointment with the genius
Just wandering what do they do that we can't at home??

They do have some diagnostic software which we don't, but ultimately what they can do that you can't, is they can replace your phone. Which BTW is what they had to do for mine when I had a similar problem in attempting to update to IOS5. The symptoms sound the same. The GB couldn't resolve the issue either, so they sent me off with a new phone. The new phone updated just fine.

drkash

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 19, 2010
UK
After googling I realised it should be click "shift" then restore
Thanks anyway

gentlefury

macrumors 68030
Jul 21, 2011
Los Angeles, CA
Sorry, but there is still not a single legitimate "bricked" iPhone. You can search forums all day long and see post after post about someone bricking their iPhone.....then read down the line and you will find a solution. It is basically impossible to do...unless you did something serious to the boot sector....even then I'm sure its recoverable....and if you did....well its your own fault...just updating thru standard means and not jail breaking could NEVER result in damage to your device.

kolax

macrumors G3
Mar 20, 2007
Sorry, but there is still not a single legitimate "bricked" iPhone. You can search forums all day long and see post after post about someone bricking their iPhone.....then read down the line and you will find a solution. It is basically impossible to do...unless you did something serious to the boot sector....even then I'm sure its recoverable....and if you did....well its your own fault...just updating thru standard means and not jail breaking could NEVER result in damage to your device.

Go troll somewhere else.

Apple's updates aren't flawless. Read about all the crap they caused Apple TV users in the past few weeks with their updates.

drkash

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 19, 2010
UK

I disagree. It depends on what you define as being bricked...in my eyes my phone is like a brick as its now f*king useless to me as it wont switch on!

I've read plenty of forums and no suggestions have helped my problem so far (still waiting to restore from direct download though).

I've never jail broken my iphone and just updated through itunes as normal and that definitely DID DAMAGE MY DEVICE (may not be permanent but as it stands its damaged)

SDColorado

macrumors 601
Nov 6, 2011
Highlands Ranch, CO

Really? Then why did the Genius Bar replace mine after every effort they made to recover the phone failed? Because you know a secret they don't? Because they enjoy replacing phones which were the fault of the customer with nothing more than a smile? Guess what? They replaced the phone because (a) It *was* indeed "bricked" and (b) it was by *no* fault of my own. They replaced my phone with no problems, no questions and a "sorry that happened." I guess I must be the exception to the rule and had the "single legitimately bricked phone." :)

Mr.C

macrumors 603
Apr 3, 2011
London, UK.
They do have some diagnostic software which we don't, but ultimately what they can do that you can't, is they can replace your phone. Which BTW is what they had to do for mine when I had a similar problem in attempting to update to IOS5. The symptoms sound the same. The GB couldn't resolve the issue either, so they sent me off with a new phone. The new phone updated just fine.

Well, one thing they CAN do that we can't at home is replace your iPhone if it can't be restored.

Most likely they will try and install iOS 5 like they did on my iPad 2. If they're unable to then they will replace the phone. That said they may just replace the phone. It's a matter of luck as to what the Genius you speak to does. Either way as long as one has a working phone that's the most important thing.

SDColorado

macrumors 601
Nov 6, 2011
Highlands Ranch, CO
Most likely they will try and install iOS 5 like they did on my iPad 2. If they're unable to then they will replace the phone. That said they may just replace the phone. It's a matter of luck as to what the Genius you speak to does. Either way as long as one has a working phone that's the most important thing.

Mine was stuck in a re-boot cycle. The silver Apple logo would appear, it would go black, rinse and repeat. They tried to install IOS 5 on it, but when they tried to plug it in to do the update, it was not even being recognized. There wasn't anything they could do to update it, so they really didn't have an option other than to replace it. I can't recall the exact message I received, so I will have to paraphrase. But after iTunes download IOS 5, performed the update and the phone restarted, I had a message along the lines of "Unable to update the firmware on this device at this time," or something along those lines. Again, I can't recall the wording, but it seemed like something had gone wrong during the firmware update, resulting in a "bricked" phone.

The GB, tech told me that while it wasn't common, it has happened from time to time, and that he would have to replace my phone. He asked if I had that one backed up, and I told him that "yes, I had backed it up right before starting the update."

It was quick and painless getting it replaced, and as mentioned with a "sorry that happened." It was obvious that wasn't the first phone they had seen with that issue.

Mr.C

macrumors 603
Apr 3, 2011
London, UK.
Mine was stuck in a re-boot cycle. The silver Apple logo would appear, it would go black, rinse and repeat. They tried to install IOS 5 on it, but when they tried to plug it in to do the update, it was not even being recognized. There wasn't anything they could do to update it, so they really didn't have an option other than to replace it. I can't recall the exact message I received, so I will have to paraphrase. But after iTunes download IOS 5, performed the update and the phone restarted, I had a message along the lines of "Unable to update the firmware on this device at this time," or something along those lines. Again, I can't recall the wording, but it seemed like something had gone wrong during the firmware update, resulting in a "bricked" phone.

The GB, tech told me that while it wasn't common, it has happened from time to time, and that he would have to replace my phone. He asked if I had that one backed up, and I told him that "yes, I had backed it up right before starting the update."

It was quick and painless getting it replaced, and as mentioned with a "sorry that happened." It was obvious that wasn't the first phone they had seen with that issue.

Yes the same thing happened on my iPad 2 when I tried to update it to iOS 5. However in my case the Genius Bar tech was able to install it and my iPad's been fine since then. I did the 5.01 update over the air and it went smoothly. Typically if it can't be fixed on the spot they will replace iOS devices.

gentlefury

macrumors 68030
Jul 21, 2011
Los Angeles, CA
Really? Then why did the Genius Bar replace mine after every effort they made to recover the phone failed? Because you know a secret they don't? Because they enjoy replacing phones which were the fault of the customer with nothing more than a smile? Guess what? They replaced the phone because (a) It *was* indeed "bricked" and (b) it was by *no* fault of my own. They replaced my phone with no problems, no questions and a "sorry that happened." I guess I must be the exception to the rule and had the "single legitimately bricked phone." :)

because it is easier and cheaper for them to replace it, send it back to the factory to be re-flashed and sold as refurb than to waste a couple hours troubleshooting your phone. I guarantee you your "bricked" iPhone will be somebodies working refurb in about a week ;)

----------

btw, I had that exact same thing happen to my iPad....after I jailbroke it...I went online and found a solution in about 10 mins...was back up and running within the hour. They aren't allowed to use things like blackra1n in the store to fix bad dfu cycle problems. Or the "Genius" just didn't know how to fix it and again, its quicker and less costly to just replace your phone.

blueroom

macrumors 603
Feb 15, 2009
Toronto, Canada
I disagree. It depends on what you define as being bricked...in my eyes my phone is like a brick as its now f*king useless to me as it wont switch on!

I've read plenty of forums and no suggestions have helped my problem so far (still waiting to restore from direct download though).

I've never jail broken my iphone and just updated through itunes as normal and that definitely DID DAMAGE MY DEVICE (may not be permanent but as it stands its damaged)

Chill bro, just take it back to Apple. They'll happily replace it as it's brand new.

drkash

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 19, 2010
UK
Chill bro, just take it back to Apple. They'll happily replace it as it's brand new.

I am chilled actually...just dont see why people add comments to a thread which arent of any use and talk out of their rear end!

I tried restoring used directly downloaded file but still the same. Hopefully the genius will fix it tomorrow

drkash

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 19, 2010
UK
Just to update this thread in case anyone has a similar problem and wants to know...the genius just said it sounds like you've tried everything...then gave me a new phone! :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.