Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Yumunum

macrumors 65816
Apr 24, 2011
U.S.
What happens to the matched songs after I lose my service? (after 1 year)

Seriously, someone has to know?

chrisrosa

macrumors newbie
Nov 14, 2011
no option for testing the match?

I was hoping this was being delayed to add a test mode, prior to enabling matching, kinda like they did for iTunes+ back in the day (where you could see how much it would cost prior to upgrading your songs).

My library is fairly big, as I'm sure most folks is lately. However a large percentage of that library are 80-250MB continuous MP3 or AAC files, which will never match.

Matched songs aren't included in your storage, which is great, but what about the unmatched? Who's to say that once it's enabled, you won't immediately max out your quota? Most people with the free iCloud account are only going to have 5GBs, but even my 25GB left over from iDisk won't be enough to account for all my unmatched music. Then what happens? I can't seem to find an answer about this anywhere...

Thanks for any tips.

utwarreng

macrumors 6502
Aug 8, 2009
What has me worried is that I have a large number of Live & Acoustic versions of songs, and I am concerned that Match will replace them with copies of the album versions. Does anyone have experience with what happens in these scenarios?

hurley999jb

macrumors member
Jun 15, 2010
Los Angeles, CA
Spotify vs. Match

Probably the first Apple service I won't buy since Spotify serves most of my music anytime/anywhere needs. However, Spotify lacks a lot of classic rock. Wonder if that would be cured with iTunes match.

Is there a place we can see the song match list? Anyone know? Anyone know which labels are "not eligible"?

johnryjr

macrumors regular
Oct 12, 2007
It has found and upgraded some things that aren't even in the itunes store. For example, there is an album that you can't really buy anymore (except maybe on ebay if you're lucky). All I could get was a crappy download but it matched it and now I have a good quality version! Win.

gblog

macrumors newbie
Jul 19, 2011
Buenos Aires, Argentina
Probably the first Apple service I won't buy since Spotify serves most of my music anytime/anywhere needs. However, Spotify lacks a lot of classic rock. Wonder if that would be cured with iTunes match.

Is there a place we can see the song match list? Anyone know? Anyone know which labels are "not eligible"?

I have no idea, I have a bunch of Queen, U2, Nirvana (etc..) songs and it says that they're 'Not Eligible' .

WLS

macrumors 65816
Jul 10, 2008
Re: What happens is you delete the song, but the entry in iTunes stays, but a little cloud now shows up in a newly added column that shows you that you have a song that is in the cloud but not in your library.

That's not the behavior I am seeing. I have about half my songs showing that cloud right now. When I delete a song with the cloud then the song goes through the deletion procedure but still shows in the list only faded by half and the cloud has a download arrow. Almost all my songs say matched but many do not have the cloud. what up wid dat?
PS
I see now that all the songs with clouds are in "Waiting" status. Not sure why that is that way.

cteselle

macrumors newbie
Jul 18, 2010
I subscribed to match this morning. I started to let the MBP go first and then went to the iMac. I get an error "only one library can be matched at a time".

Does this mean I can only upload one at a time, or that Apple will only allow one or the other to be uploaded, period?

I'm curious about this one as well. I'm hoping it'll work properly after the first computer has completed the matching/uploading process.

gnasher729

Suspended
Nov 25, 2005
456 Not Eligible songs, 12 Duplicates, and like 5 Errors.

So what kind of songs are "not eligible"? And is it 456 out of 600, or out of 6,000, or out of 20,000?

I have no idea, I have a bunch of Queen, U2, Nirvana (etc..) songs and it says that they're 'Not Eligible' .

Are they songs that are available on iTunes? Recorded from CD or LP? Or different versions, like concert recordings? MP3 vs. AAC?

LSUtigers03

macrumors 68020
Apr 9, 2008
Then you're <beeped>. I have caught myself DLing a torrent of a CD I have but don't want to dig through my box of CDs in the basement to rip to iTunes. Kind of a shame it's so easy to DL music whether you own it or not.

How would iTunes know if the music was from a legally purchased CD or from a torrent? I would assume that everything would get matched if it's in iTunes no matter where it came from.

ILOVEMYMBP2.2g

macrumors regular
Jun 23, 2007
Why do such random songs have errors, like just one john mayer song out of the whole album will have an error and they all came from the same cd rip? Just curious if anyone knew why or if the same thing was happening to them?

chriscrk

macrumors 6502a
Nov 14, 2011
Planet Earth (?)

I'm guessing that you'll simply lose the ability to match songs, and the songs you have matched will remain on iCloud, because once they're matched, it's basically as if you have purchased the actual song (to my understanding).

It seems like the logical thing to do, imo. Sure, Apple could get more money if they made you pay 25 dollars a year if not you lose all your songs, but I don't think they'd do that, people would probably feel unmotivated because you can't be certain if you'll be able to pay in the future really.

tratclif

macrumors newbie
Jan 18, 2007
Chillicothe, OH
I still have 238 "protected" tracks that never have shown up in iTunes plus for me to upgrade. Anyone experimented with iTunes Match and what happens when it finds a low-bitrate Fairplay protected file?

helpinghand

macrumors member
Dec 19, 2006
1. You can have multiple computers upload to the iCloud account, (not at the same time). This will allow more than 25K songs, but its a huge pain.

2. You don't loose the files from your hard drive. You will want to backup your music files before your iCloud subscription expires.

Cougarcat

macrumors 604
Sep 19, 2003

If it's on iTunes, it will be matched. If it's not, then it'll be uploaded.

You keep them, but you won't be able to redownload them.

basically can I use it once to up the bitrate on my songs?

Yes.

chriscrk

macrumors 6502a
Nov 14, 2011
Planet Earth (?)
And what if half of your music is from torrents????:confused:

As far as I'm concerned, from what I've read, these songs will be matched and it'll be as if you actually bought the music.

From what I've read, the way it matches your music is by playing a sample from the song, and identifies the song in the iTunes store that matches it, and that's all. Doesn't matter if you have the song named incorrectly, under the wrong artist, album, etc.

This is my source:
http://appculture.net/how-does-itunes-match-work/

Matthew Yohe

macrumors 68020
Oct 12, 2006

Why would you want to see a song match list? If it doesn't match, it uploads to Apple and you have access to it.

Tony DiNozzo

macrumors newbie
Mar 16, 2011
im sure this is a noob question but when it says itunes match will replace the music library on this device, does it erase the 2,000 songs i already have on my phone and i have to upload them back in from the cloud?

thanks for your help

gnasher729

Suspended
Nov 25, 2005
They are available on iTunes, ripped from CDs, in MP3 format.

Interesting. That's music that shouldn't really cause any problems. I've got a few 100 songs coming from LPs which I thought might not work, but ripped from CD should be no problem. Someone posted that bitrate below 128 KBit/sec. tends to be not eligible, and just converting them to AAC worked.

Just wondering: Can anyone report how well Amazon downloads are matched?

mrougeux

macrumors newbie
Aug 13, 2002
No new user

I just tried to subscribe and got a message that iTunes Match isn't accepting new subscribers at this time. And the Subscribe button is now sort of grayed out.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.