Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

thetexan

macrumors 6502a
May 11, 2009
I'm no expert, but I have to assume that part of Apple's deal with the labels is that the RIAA won't petition Apple for information from Match. Which leaves the RIAA to use the same tactics they've been using to identify illegal music sharing.

I agree, Match doesn't make the initial acquisition of illegal files legit. Not much different than stealing a car and getting it painted.

It would make no business sense for Apple to give information to the RIAA about your iTunes library. If Apple ever did that it would piss off so many people it would probably bankrupt Apple as a company since they would lose all trust.

KeithJenner

macrumors 65816
Sep 30, 2010
How exactly will this work on my iPhone 4s? I don't necessarily need access to all my music, and I don't want to pay the data rates to download it all the time. I only want a portion of my music, and would like to be able to shut off downloads for "streaming" (at least non-wifi). Can I still choose a portion of my library to physically have on my phone? I also don't really want to wade through my entire library on my phone, I'd rather just see what is physically on my phone. Is this still possible? I really want to sign up, as syncing between computers will be nice, and at least some mobile access to my entire library would be nice at times, but I am afraid of unknowingly using too much data just to listen to music.

Just don't turn it on on your phone, and sync as usual.

Yumunum

macrumors 65816
Apr 24, 2011
U.S.
This is kinda dumb...when I listen to a song, it downloads the whole thing - permanently. I was hoping it would cache the song and then delete it once it hits a certain point. But right now, after a long time of use, I'm expecting to run out of space... Think about if you left your phone running through songs, songs you didn't even care about, and then you fill up your phone slowly.

At the very least, there NEEDS to be a way to select multiple songs for deletion. The same way you can select photos, emails, and texts

Matthew Yohe

macrumors 68020
Oct 12, 2006
How exactly will this work on my iPhone 4s? I don't necessarily need access to all my music, and I don't want to pay the data rates to download it all the time. I only want a portion of my music, and would like to be able to shut off downloads for "streaming" (at least non-wifi). Can I still choose a portion of my library to physically have on my phone? I also don't really want to wade through my entire library on my phone, I'd rather just see what is physically on my phone. Is this still possible? I really want to sign up, as syncing between computers will be nice, and at least some mobile access to my entire library would be nice at times, but I am afraid of unknowingly using too much data just to listen to music.

You can tell if a file is on your phone or not.

kring

macrumors regular
Oct 12, 2011
Connecticut
This is kinda dumb...when I listen to a song, it downloads the whole thing - permanently. I was hoping it would cache the song and then delete it once it hits a certain point. But right now, after a long time of use, I'm expecting to run out of space... Think about if you left your phone running through songs, songs you didn't even care about, and then you fill up your phone slowly.

At the very least, there NEEDS to be a way to select multiple songs for deletion. The same way you can select photos, emails, and texts

you can delete the whole album or artist - just swipe across the name.

nemaslov

macrumors 6502a
Jul 22, 2002
San Francisco
Stop being a music hoarder. Reduce the size of your library. You'll never listen to 25,000 songs, much less 90k+. Subscribe to a streaming service.

Ignorant statement. I have 60,000 plus songs loaded and I'll probably double that when I load in all my CDs. People who say "you'll never listen to all that..." don't understand the concept of a library. The match allows you to listen anywhere on your devices. If you are on the road you want to CHOOSE from that huge library. Obviously you won't listen to them all but you have options. Real book libraries hold many more books then you'll ever read but they give you the choice...

And streaming services don't have evberuthin the I would have in my collection.

You are missing the point. We want access to our libraries wherever we go. If they made a 1T iPod Classic there are many of us collectors who would buy one. The match service should allow us to haploid huge libraries, even if we have to pay a bit more for the service.

JayInNJ

macrumors regular
Nov 10, 2009
what does that mean "permanently yours"?

when i get a subscription for one year, match all my stuff and then cancel the subscription, can I still download my matched music?

This has only been answered a thousand times. Everything matched and downloaded will remain yours. Everything in the cloud will disappear.

Kid A

macrumors regular
May 1, 2008
Stop being a music hoarder. Reduce the size of your library. You'll never listen to 25,000 songs, much less 90k+. Subscribe to a streaming service.

Who are you to tell someone to..........?!

Good lord. :rolleyes:

Maybe iTunes should have a pop-up when you try to purchase your 25,001st song from the iTMS, saying:

Sorry, please stop hoarding music.
Perhaps you'd like to buy an App or a movie instead?

[Go to App Store] [Go to iTunes Movie Store] [Cancel]

Yeah, right.... never gonna happen.

jackrv

macrumors 6502
Jul 14, 2011
:eek:

So does anyone know why Apple decided to do it this way? Why would anyone wanting to stream their music also want to download it onto their devices? It really makes no sense to me. So, every time I think I want to hear some obscure song in my library, I can listen to it, but then I have to delete it so i don't fill up my device!?#@%$ Ugh. What is the point?

Bandwidth Caps on most mobile 3G/4G networks.

However, it would be nice to have as an option on mobile devices, a "Do not permanently download" on/off switch for those who only use Wi-Fi and have small storage space free.

I personally don't find it a problem, but yes, there is the added step of swipe/deleting songs off your iDevice after listening if space is at a premium.

I agree, especially now that the iDevices via iCloud are supposed to be "PC Free"

Last edited:

Ruahrc

macrumors 65816
Jun 9, 2009
2. If a song is matched, it becomes available to download in 256K AAC. If a song is not matched it is copied in its current format and bit rate up to 320K. If the file is Lossless however, it is converted (presumably by your computer) to a 256k AAC file and then uploaded.

Fail.

Guess I'm going to continue my streak of never having downloaded/purchased a single item from the iTMS.

pooryou

macrumors 65816
Sep 28, 2007
NorCal
Lion Required: Here's something nobody seems to be talking about. Even though you can run iTunes 10.5.1 with older versions of Mac OSX, you have to have 10.7 to run iTunes Match. I was pretty bummed out when I realized this.

Seriously?? Why the hell hasn't anyone else mentioned this?

DTphonehome

macrumors 68000
Apr 4, 2003
NYC
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8J2 Safari/6533.18.5)

nemaslov said:

Ignorant statement. I have 60,000 plus songs loaded and I'll probably double that when I load in all my CDs. People who say "you'll never listen to all that..." don't understand the concept of a library. The match allows you to listen anywhere on your devices. If you are on the road you want to CHOOSE from that huge library. Obviously you won't listen to them all but you have options. Real book libraries hold many more books then you'll ever read but they give you the choice...

You are missing the point. We want access to our libraries wherever we go. If they made a 1T iPod Classic there are many of us collectors who would buy one. The match service should allow us to haploid huge libraries, even if we have to pay a bit more for the service.

It's a brand-new service. Of course they're going to target the broader market first. Give it time. If there are enough vocal (and by vocal I mean using the "suggest a feature" link, not whining on the internet) music fans with huge collections, I'm sure Apple would accommodate them, especially if they're willing to pay.

MurphyM

macrumors 6502
Dec 29, 2007
Here's something nobody seems to be talking about. Even though you can run iTunes 10.5.1 with older versions of Mac OSX, you have to have 10.7 to run iTunes Match. I was pretty bummed out when I realized this.

I installed the new version of iTunes on my G5 PowerMac and bought iTunes Match (I was pretty excited because I have a ton of music on my PowerMac and would like to be able to easily access it from my iPhone 4 and MacBook). During step 1 of the matching process, iTunes kept stalling and crashing. So, I go to the apple.com support page and find out that Lion is required for iTunes Match! So pissed.

As there will never be an upgrade to Lion available for my powerpc Mac, I guess I'm just stuck.

I'm running Match with 10.6.7

DTphonehome

macrumors 68000
Apr 4, 2003
NYC
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8J2 Safari/6533.18.5)

Stridder44 said:
I feel like iTunes goes against everything Apple stands for. I'm sure it wasn't the intention of Apple to have it that way, but it's true. Apple is all about simplicity and intuition. iTunes is the opposite of either of those. Over the years it's become a complex, WAY too feature-heavy application. Let me clarify that I don't mean that iTunes is slow or "bloated", just way, way too complex. If it was designed right in the first place, we shouldn't need a "clear explanation" on how it works. Apple's thought process is to make things simpler to use. Less is more and whatnot. Instead, all that happens with iTunes is more crap is tacked on, adding even more garbage to the already overpopulated and unorganized side bar.

Agree totally. I said something similar in an iTunes-related survey. It's become this huge, unwieldly piece of software.

Eric S.

macrumors 68040
Feb 1, 2008
Santa Cruz Mountains, California
Here's something nobody seems to be talking about. Even though you can run iTunes 10.5.1 with older versions of Mac OSX, you have to have 10.7 to run iTunes Match. I was pretty bummed out when I realized this.

As there will never be an upgrade to Lion available for my powerpc Mac, I guess I'm just stuck.

I think Apple has been strongly indicating for several years now that if you're still on a PPC Mac you're just stuck. Sorry.

DTphonehome

macrumors 68000
Apr 4, 2003
NYC

Ruahrc said:
2. If a song is matched, it becomes available to download in 256K AAC. If a song is not matched it is copied in its current format and bit rate up to 320K. If the file is Lossless however, it is converted (presumably by your computer) to a 256k AAC file and then uploaded.

Fail.

Guess I'm going to continue my streak of never having downloaded/purchased a single item from the iTMS.

Congrats. I'm sure Apple misses your business.

rtdunham

macrumors 6502a
Jun 21, 2003
St. Petersburg, FL, Northern KY
Wow, quite a few snooty folks on here who have apparently never downloaded a free song. I say snooty because you are acting that way. And I assume you have never downloaded a song illegally because you are talking down to those who have.
A few people asked what will happen with songs they got via torrent or otherwise and you people look down your noses at them?? Take it easy big shots. There was a time when people used Napster freely and it wasn't looked at as being "illegal."
Basically, try to understand that even though you drive exactly the speed limit and have never downloaded a song from one of the various places, that doesn't mean that everyone else has been as perfect as you.

I don't think people who have exceeded the speed limit would be snooty about others who do that. But yeah, I suspect many of us would be snooty about serial shoplifters.

Nunyabinez

macrumors 68000
Apr 27, 2010
Provo, UT

Hopefully this will be a little more helpful. When you enable match on your iPhone a second switch appears called "Show All Music". If this is on you see everything that is in the cloud. You the go into music and select the songs you want to have locally on your phone. Then go back to music preferences and turn off "Show All Files". Now you will only see what is downloaded to your phone. Make sure you don't turn match off, just the show all files.

brygruver

macrumors member
Aug 2, 2007

Do you have an entire local library in your house? No. You have a small library of books, but have access to a vast library, called....The Library. So do you need a library of 60k+ music files, No. You need access to a vast library of music and that's called Spotify (Or your personal flavor of the week.)

Now, if you do have a large local library of books at your house, and you have 60k+ Music Cd's, there's a show you need to check out, called, Hoarders. :)

KeithJenner

macrumors 65816
Sep 30, 2010
Do you have an entire local library in your house? No. You have a small library of books, but have access to a vast library, called....The Library. So do you need a library of 60k+ music files, No. You need access to a vast library of music and that's called Spotify (Or your personal flavor of the week.)

Now, if you do have a large local library of books at your house, and you have 60k+ Music Cd's, there's a show you need to check out, called, Hoarders. :)

The problem with Spotify or services like that is that they don't have everything that you may want. I'd like all of my songs in one place, rather than having to swap between Apps to play different albums.

I don't see anything wrong with having your own choice of music available to play whenever you want, all in one place.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.