Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

PNutts

macrumors 601
Jul 24, 2008
Pacific Northwest, US
And what if half of your music is from torrents????:confused:

Then you're <beeped>. I have caught myself DLing a torrent of a CD I have but don't want to dig through my box of CDs in the basement to rip to iTunes. Kind of a shame it's so easy to DL music whether you own it or not.

This has been covered a number of times and here is the latest link I could find via Google. Part of the subscription fee is used as a licensing fee for songs where you have not already purchased a license (meaning you didn't somehow already pay for it).

Laird Knox

macrumors 68000
Jun 18, 2010
If they made a 1T iPod Classic there are many of us collectors who would buy one.

The do, it is called the MacBook. ;)

(Yes I'm joking. Someday you will be able to carry around that much and/or data carriers won't be so horrendous concerning data usage.)

DTphonehome

macrumors 68000
Apr 4, 2003
NYC
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8J2 Safari/6533.18.5)

PNutts said:
And what if half of your music is from torrents????:confused:

Then you're <beeped>. I have caught myself DLing a torrent of a CD I have but don't want to dig through my box of CDs in the basement to rip to iTunes. Kind of a shame it's so easy to DL music whether you own it or not.

This has been covered a number of times and here is the latest link I could find via Google. Part of the subscription fee is used as a licensing fee for songs where you have not already purchased a license (meaning you didn't somehow already pay for it).

That seems to imply that the tracks ARE blessed by the record labels.

Jefferyd32

macrumors regular
Jul 22, 2009
Seattle, WA
Hopefully this will be a little more helpful. When you enable match on your iPhone a second switch appears called "Show All Music". If this is on you see everything that is in the cloud. You the go into music and select the songs you want to have locally on your phone. Then go back to music preferences and turn off "Show All Files". Now you will only see what is downloaded to your phone. Make sure you don't turn match off, just the show all files.

Thank you this makes much more sense.

brygruver

macrumors member
Aug 2, 2007
The problem with Spotify or services like that is that they don't have everything that you may want. I'd like all of my songs in one place, rather than having to swap between Apps to play different albums.

I don't see anything wrong with having your own choice of music available to play whenever you want, all in one place.

The problem is scale. This is a $25 a year service. It is a cheap solution for 90% of the people who would be interested in it. I personally have just under 3,000 songs. I fall into the 90%. Someone with a music library of 60,000 is going to uses 20 times the resources. Bandwidth, Hard Drive Space, Redundancy, etc. A person with over 25,000 songs falls into the 10%. Apple creates products and solutions for the 90%, not the 10.

KeithJenner

macrumors 65816
Sep 30, 2010
The problem is scale. This is a $25 a year service. It is a cheap solution for 90% of the people who would be interested in it. I personally have just under 3,000 songs. I fall into the 90%. Someone with a music library of 60,000 is going to uses 20 times the resources. Bandwidth, Hard Drive Space, Redundancy, etc. A person with over 25,000 songs falls into the 10%. Apple creates products and solutions for the 90%, not the 10.

Probably very true, but totally irrelevant to what I was saying.

I'm happy to wait to see what happens re the 25,000 limit, and am looking at ways to alter my library in the meantime. I understand that Apple probably have reasons for the limit at the moment.

My post was in response to the guy who seems to think that everyone should use Spotify, just because that works for him. A totally different point.

scoobydoo99

Cancelled
Mar 11, 2003
1)
Keep in mind, it's possible that Apple may compare the checksum's of your music files and be able to tell if they were downloaded from pirate sites. We'll probably know if a bunch of new RIAA lawsuits start appearing suddenly. :)
(note I don't think apple is likely to do this, but it is TECHNICALLY possible)

puhleeeezz. even suggesting such a thing is silly. Apple has no interest in such pursuits.

Gemütlichkeit

macrumors 65816
Nov 17, 2010
Is there an automated way of downloading your whole collection to your HDD?

Right now I have to delete the song/album then manually click down to redownload the 256 version.

jackrv

macrumors 6502
Jul 14, 2011
you can delete the whole album or artist - just swipe across the name.

I would think (hope), that the limit is upped at some point. Perhaps even a paid upgrade like iCloud itself.

----------

puhleeeezz. even suggesting such a thing is silly. Apple has no interest in such pursuits.

Agreed, and in fact Apple is giving the studios and distributors a way to actually MAKE money off pirated songs that they normally would never see a cent of. (Not saying that everyone pirates)

Don'tBeJ

macrumors newbie
Nov 14, 2011

endless17

macrumors member
Mar 8, 2011
What happens when iTunes is a moron and uploads files they already have?

My version was recorded from a casette, which is part of why I was so eager to get on this train.
Because Apple is likely using the same 'fingerprint' scheme that Lala used for their music match service. If your cassette has enough wear, or you didn't crop the song exactly as it is on the CD the songs will likely have a different enough fingerprint as to render the match impossible.

_Refurbished_

macrumors 68020
Mar 23, 2007
Easiest way to switch all music to 256

So, I'm currently matching my music (it's taking hours). When the matching is done, how do I make my local music become 256 AAC files? Is it done automatically? Do I have download everything again? I'm confused on how I get the music to "upgrade" from 128 > 256.

Gemütlichkeit

macrumors 65816
Nov 17, 2010
So, I'm currently matching my music (it's taking hours). When the matching is done, how do I make my local music become 256 AAC files? Is it done automatically? Do I have download everything again? I'm confused on how I get the music to "upgrade" from 128 > 256.

I'm taking it album by album so far. Deleting an album that has been matched. Then clicking on grid display. There's a cloud next to the album, click that and it downloads the whole album again.

It's a slow process, I'll cue up a lot of songs and let it download over night.

TigerWoodsIV

macrumors 6502a
Apr 3, 2010
1) If you're honest, delete the pirated songs and buy the Cds or buy the songs form iTunes.

2) If you're dishonest, then don't use iCloud for your music.

3) If you're REALLY dishonest, then use iTunes match and Apple will try to match them with legit versions. (actually, the music companies might prefer this option over #1 and #2 because they do get some money from you).

Keep in mind, it's possible that Apple may compare the checksum's of your music files and be able to tell if they were downloaded from pirate sites. We'll probably know if a bunch of new RIAA lawsuits start appearing suddenly. :)
(note I don't think apple is likely to do this, but it is TECHNICALLY possible)
I'm just wondering, how is this possible? If you have a CD rip it's just a CD rip is it not? How could they tell if something was pirated?

Chafka

macrumors member
Aug 29, 2007
Can anyone tell me how well this works with cassettes and lps (my main reason for getting this)?

Cory Bauer

macrumors 6502a
Jun 26, 2003
Why do such random songs have errors, like just one john mayer song out of the whole album will have an error and they all came from the same cd rip? Just curious if anyone knew why or if the same thing was happening to them?
I had the same issue. Anyone know the solution? I've got several albums where a song or three have errors, and other albums where the majority of it has errors but a few songs match, which makes no sense.

i hate phones

macrumors 6502a
Jul 5, 2010
Philly Suburbs, PA
anyone figure out why it doesn't recognize all the songs from the same album? or any work around? and yes it happens to albums that were ripped from cds not just downloaded by other means...

ldcxd36

macrumors newbie
Jun 7, 2010
iTunes Match works outside the US

Am located in Australia and have both an Australian and US iTunes Store account. I was successfully able to log into my US iTunes account from Oz and am matching music as we speak.

Seems it is US iTunes account based only but you can be anywere in the world.:)

Scott6666

macrumors 65816
Feb 2, 2008
Took less than hour to match about 5,000 songs in my collection. Uploading the remaining 6800 at a rate of at least 1000 per hour; maybe double that.

Turned it on in my iPhone (which wipes out your existing files on the phone) and now playing by downloading from the cloud doing a shuffle on all songs.

I have no idea what happens when it fills up all the memory on the phone.

Also lucky I still have the ATT unlimited plan - although I am currently downloading on wifi since I am a good ATT customer. I assume I can download via ATT.

Don't notice any particular better fidelity in the music.

babyfett

macrumors newbie
Nov 13, 2007
Error Songs

Anyone know what happens with the error songs? I've got hundreds of errors. Will iTunes automatically try again or will I have to manually go through my collection to add a single song from a basic album like The Beatles Abby Road which shouldn't have been a problem? Thanks!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.