Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jcorbin

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Oct 18, 2011
D.C.
Does anyone gave this enabled?
How does it enhance your experience?
Does having the camera access the gps cause battery drain if you take lots of pictures?

FreakinEurekan

macrumors 603
Sep 8, 2011
I like it, the geotagging in the photo metadata can come in handy for lots of purposes. The GPS receiver goes active whenever the camera is on, so I'm sure it has "some" impact on battery life, but I've not found it to be a problem.

jcorbin

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Oct 18, 2011
D.C.
i tested it out at my office and just up the street from my office. so not the greatest test.

is it only useful if you take a lot of trips. keep in mind i don't load my pictures on my computer at all. i keep them on dropbox which, to my knowledge, doesn't display location data

Gav2k

macrumors G3
Jul 24, 2009
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A405 Safari/7534.48.3)

iPods use local wifi data to see where you are.

As for the camera app on the iPhone geotagging is fine unless your recording video then the gps stays active and it eats battery life for breakfast!

jcorbin

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Oct 18, 2011
D.C.
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A405 Safari/7534.48.3)

iPods use local wifi data to see where you are.

As for the camera app on the iPhone geotagging is fine unless your recording video then the gps stays active and it eats battery life for breakfast!

Good point. Typically I take pictures when I'm on a trip and at home. And I have them all broken down into albums. So I'm not sure geotagging would really do anything. I know where I was when I took it. Maybe to help me find my car in a parking lot.

deeddawg

macrumors G5
Jun 14, 2010
US
Good point. Typically I take pictures when I'm on a trip and at home. And I have them all broken down into albums. So I'm not sure geotagging would really do anything. I know where I was when I took it.

I have a lot of pictures from years gone by where I'd enjoy knowing the particular spot the photo was taken. Even though I know the general spot, on some trips such as backpacking it'd be nice to know the particular place along the trail. Sure, keeping a journal of each photo is a great way to handle this, having the geotag is a nice plus.

jcorbin

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Oct 18, 2011
D.C.
I understand what you're saying. Personally I just don't see the value. Thanks for the input

jcorbin

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Oct 18, 2011
D.C.
For instance I just got back from a trip to Williamsburg and though I took pictures all over the area I don't need to point out where on the property I was. I think I might use it more if the picture itself had the map associated with it. What I mean is I have to go to places to see where the picture was taken. I can't go to albums and go into Williamsburg then say oh this shot is really cool let me show you where it was taken. And open the map from the picture. I have to go to places and find it on the map.

deeddawg

macrumors G5
Jun 14, 2010
US
I think I might use it more if the picture itself had the map associated with it. What I mean is I have to go to places to see where the picture was taken. I can't go to albums and go into Williamsburg then say oh this shot is really cool let me show you where it was taken. And open the map from the picture. I have to go to places and find it on the map.

iPhoto does this on Mac. When viewing an album, click on "Info" at the bottom and a sidebar pops up showing picture info as well as a map. As you select different photos in an album it changes the map / pin to the spot the photo was taken.

deeddawg

macrumors G5
Jun 14, 2010
US
That would be awesome if I had iPhoto and/or a Mac. Thanks anyway

I doubt iPhoto is the only software package that does this; the point being that since the capability exists on the mac platform you likely can find similar functionality on other platforms.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.