Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

apple_logo.jpg

Apple today announced that Art Levinson has been named Chairman of the Board of Directors. The former Genentech executive has served on Apple's board since 2000 and has been a co-lead director since 2005. In addition, Disney president and CEO Bob Iger has been named to the board.
"Art has made enormous contributions to Apple since he joined the board in 2000," said Tim Cook, Apple's CEO. "He has been our longest serving co-lead director, and his insight and leadership are incredibly valuable to Apple, our employees and our shareholders."

"Bob and I have gotten to know one another very well over the past few years and on behalf of the entire board, we think he is going to make an extraordinary addition to our already very strong board," said Tim Cook. "His strategic vision for Disney is based on three fundamentals: generating the best creative content possible, fostering innovation and utilizing the latest technology, and expanding into new markets around the world which makes him a great fit for Apple."
Levinson had served on all three of the board's committees, and will continue to serve on the audit committee following his elevation to chairman. Iger will also serve on the audit committee.

Disney and Apple have a relatively close relationship given that Disney had purchased Pixar back in 2006 when it was owned by Steve Jobs. Jobs had subsequently served on Disney's board of directors and was the company's largest individual shareholder.

Article Link: Apple Names Art Levinson Chairman, Disney's Bob Iger Joins Board of Directors

macampora

macrumors newbie
Nov 5, 2011
I think Apple may acquire disney, allowing them to expand into the content creation business.

aufmobi

macrumors newbie
May 9, 2008
Good move Jobs seems to have really trusted Iger. Wondering... are there any remaining seats still left open on the board?

Rocketman

macrumors 603
Steady the ship is the message. With Google screwing Steve (Apple), at least this time they get someone he got along with and is in a sufficiently different businesses he/they (Iger/Disney) won't try to take over Apple's largest future business model.

Google did that, and Steve pledged to deal with that even well beyond the grave.

Good they added a seat to the board, which they can do again anytime the opportunity presents itself.

Rocketman

rdowns

macrumors Penryn
Jul 11, 2003
Good move Jobs seems to have really trusted Iger. Wondering... are there any remaining seats still left open on the board?

Apple has a small board (7) compared to other companies. THey could add a person at any time if they wished to.

johncrab

macrumors 6502
Aug 11, 2011
Scottsdale, AZ
I'm trying to figure why Bill Campbell of Intuit is still on the Apple board. He seems to be running a company that is headed for extinction and they completely blew it when it came to trying to write Quicken for the Mac. I don't see what he brings to the party.

That said, These choices today seem very sound. Iger is neck deep in the media wars and understands content and how it is created, sold and distributed.

FrizzleFryBen

macrumors 6502
Dec 14, 2009
Charlotte, NC
I think Apple may acquire disney, allowing them to expand into the content creation business.

Note to Noob. When stating your opinion that people disagree with they will -1 you. Restating as "it would be interesting if Apple acquired Disney, that could help them expand into the content creation business...Other than iAd of course"

I think that is actually a very interesting topic you brought up. It's is definitely an expensive purchase that would take 2/3's of Apple's cash. So unlikely...but there may be something in there.

bretm

macrumors 68000
Apr 12, 2002
So after Steve's death all this dude's done is change the company all over. I'd be kinda pissed if I owned stock. Comment doesn't really relate to this event, just that we keep seeing these stories again and again.

Well see, they kinda have to do that due to the fact that their leader and chief visionary died. And since Tim can't do it all himself, plus he had other duties before, I think some rearranging is to be expected. He's in charge. Is not supposed to make any decisions? This is stuff that went on day in and day out even without the shake up if Steve's death.

rdowns

macrumors Penryn
Jul 11, 2003
Note to Noob. When stating your opinion that people disagree with they will -1 you. Restating as "it would be interesting if Apple acquired Disney, that could help them expand into the content creation business...Other than iAd of course"

I think that is actually a very interesting topic you brought up. It's is definitely an expensive purchase that would take 2/3's of Apple's cash. So unlikely...but there may be something in there.

Apple doesn't do big acquisitions like that. I don't see where it would make any sense at all. Disney has big businesses that Apple would want no part of (theme parks, travel, toys). I also don't see Apple benefiting from Disney classics which is a huge part of their revenue from content. If Apple wanted to be in content creation, why didn't Jobs sell Pixar to Apple?

atomwork

macrumors 6502
Jun 5, 2001
Miami Beach
Apple doesn't do big acquisitions like that. I don't see where it would make any sense at all. Disney has big businesses that Apple would want no part of (theme parks, travel, toys). I also don't see Apple benefiting from Disney classics which is a huge part of their revenue from content. If Apple wanted to be in content creation, why didn't Jobs sell Pixar to Apple?

Disney also owns various ABC network devisions, EPSN, Disney channel and has co-ownershio with Lifetime, A&E, .... Plus various movie studios (Pixar, Disney, Touchstone, Buena Vista Studios...

Full list is here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_assets_owned_by_Disney

I was not necessary for Apple to buy Disney as long as Steve hold 9% of the company and was on their board.

Not sure what going to happened to his stake and voting interest.

D

ViPhone

macrumors 6502
Jun 2, 2010
Miami, Florida
It is clear to me after nearly completing his bio, that this is exactly the type of thing Steve would want for his baby.

Good choice.

Now how long until Jony Ive takes over?

FrizzleFryBen

macrumors 6502
Dec 14, 2009
Charlotte, NC

You are totally right there. I was simply thinking along the lines of how an expanded relationship could be interesting. Certainly not that they would make such an investment. On the other hand, Pixar and Disney are different beasts. Disney are marketing geniuses while Pixar are production geniuses. Did I just contradict myself? I was trying to agree that it's like comparing apples to badgers. I need a vacation. :rolleyes:

Edit: I did not -1 BTW

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.