Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

kjdoyle1

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 7, 2011
I just wrote and directed a 6-episode small business documentary series called Finding Main Street. We took 3 small business owners on a road trip from St. Louis to Las Vegas to see what we could learn from other small businesses including a brewery, BBQ joint, high-end salon, 3,000 acre farm and a cupcake truck. http://www.FindingMainStreet.com.

I would love to get opinions.

-Kyle

alph45

macrumors member
Jun 2, 2010
good trailer, created interest, some nice wide angle shots, nice timelapse, good structure.

minor points, i would try to source some higher quality historic images, maybe from nat. archives. clean them up in photoshop, import at 4k (for example) and then do the pan and zooms. Some minor issues with critical focus on talking heads, but footage looks like it was shot on a dslr and i know fine focus can be difficult. color looks a bit like a canned magic bullet look at points, if your using or similar i find the stock settings to be way overkill. they also often add some "creative blurring" that may be partially responsible for the soft focus in parts.

Zwhaler

macrumors 604
Jun 10, 2006
Really cool. Looks like you are putting a lot of work into producing something original, I like that. Thanks for sharing :cool:

kjdoyle1

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 7, 2011
First Episode: SCHLAFLY BEER

I released the first episode of the series today: http://www.findingmainstreet.com.

We spent some time with Dan Kopman, co-founder of Schlafly Beer. They were the first brewery to open in St. Louis since prohibition and have become a beloved brand of St. Louians.

kjdoyle1

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 7, 2011
We shot it on a Canon 5Dmii and two 60Ds. We also had a GoPro which we used for suction cupping to the RV, windshield, etc. It's also what the RV is driving over in the opening shot of the trailer. We actually did that on a real highway. It was pretty crazy.

JinsterBeady

macrumors member
Mar 8, 2011
Brilliant! The road scene was exactly what I was hoping you'd address.
Have been looking into a GoPro earlier today actually.
Obviously I assume you speak highly of them?

kjdoyle1

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 7, 2011
Yeah, the GoPro is a great little utility camera. I actually have the new one now (Hero2) and it the image is even better.

----------

Second episode is released. We visited a famous BBQ joint in St. Louis. http://www.FindingMainStreet.com

jca24

macrumors 6502a
Jul 28, 2010
DFW
Outstanding!

Great work! I really enjoyed the trailer and the first two episodes.

Keebler

macrumors 68030
Jun 20, 2005
Canada
excellent!

Great job!

What I liked was the simple use of filming techniques - nothing fancy or glossy ie. too much dof or crazy pans etc... keeping it simple allowed the story to be told (I watched EP #2).

Will be watching the rest.

whdigital

macrumors regular
Jul 22, 2011
I really REALLY like this! Love the concept and the content thus far. Love the way you shot it, not "gimmicky" or over stylized. I really like the pull away shot of the RV for each closing credit sequence.

Nicely done and thanks for sharing!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.