Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

potterbee

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 16, 2011
I'm trying to install Cydia with no luck, as I desperately need an app from Cydia. I've trying to install it through such jailbreakers as blackra1n and redsn0w but i'll i've succeeded in doing is getting my phone stuck in recovery mode and having to restore it (lost two months of important texts during the restoring process, if anyone knows how to regain them that would be so great). Is there an easy way to install Cydia without all this hassle? Or a guaranteed to work jailbreak? I'm very new to this as I'm sure you can tell! Thanks for your help with this.

Crystal-RX

macrumors 68030
Dec 22, 2008
Seattle, WA USA
I'm trying to install Cydia with no luck, as I desperately need an app from Cydia. I've trying to install it through such jailbreakers as blackra1n and redsn0w but i'll i've succeeded in doing is getting my phone stuck in recovery mode and having to restore it (lost two months of important texts during the restoring process, if anyone knows how to regain them that would be so great). Is there an easy way to install Cydia without all this hassle? Or a guaranteed to work jailbreak? I'm very new to this as I'm sure you can tell! Thanks for your help with this.

What is the firmware version on your phone?

Crystal-RX

macrumors 68030
Dec 22, 2008
Seattle, WA USA
You have a 3GS Iphone instead of 3G. The latest firmware on 3G was 4.2.1.

You need to read and understand more about jailbreaking, you can't just use any tool to jailbreak your phone, it will not work. Also, please note that jailbreaking 5.0.1 will be a tethered jailbreak for 3GS/Iphone 4 unless you have an old bootrom 3GS.

here is the link with tutorial on how to jailbreak your phone;

http://ihowto.com/1353/jailbreak-ip...with-redsnow-on-iphone-4-3gs-ipad-ipod-touch/

----------

Damn it, its not one size fits all?:D
I thought I could use jailbreakme on my PS3, didnt know it matters what device or firmware you have installed:D

Yeah...OP used blackra1n to jailbreak a 3GS with 5.0.1 fw :rolleyes:

potterbee

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 16, 2011
Thank you so much for your help, you've been amazing! Before I go ahead with the jailbreak you wouldn't happen to know how to regain the last two months worth of text messages I lost during a restore yesterday, would you? I restored my phone a few times yesterday and lost nothing but my apps until the last restore wiped two months of information.

Crystal-RX

macrumors 68030
Dec 22, 2008
Seattle, WA USA
Thank you so much for your help, you've been amazing! Before I go ahead with the jailbreak you wouldn't happen to know how to regain the last two months worth of text messages I lost during a restore yesterday, would you? I restored my phone a few times yesterday and lost nothing but my apps until the last restore wiped two months of information.

Was your phone regularly sync/back up with Itunes? if so, you can recover these messages.

http://iphone.jomra.com/2009/06/23/recover-deleted-text-message-on-iphone/

potterbee

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 16, 2011
It was regularly synced, but I have an awful feeling that I may have restored it again after losing the messages - is there a way to select the back up date I want? I know it was synced yesterday before restoring, but I was forced to restore about four times. :(

potterbee

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 16, 2011
Guess I'll just have to try it see. Thank you crystal rx, you've been so helpful!

Crystal-RX

macrumors 68030
Dec 22, 2008
Seattle, WA USA
No problem. So, what are you going to do with your 3GS, put on the latest firmware or go down to 4.1?

If you go down to 4.1, there are few additional steps you need to go through to get it restore, i can guide you through it.

potterbee

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 16, 2011
I've done it using the tutorial you posted. Worked fisrt go, I can't believe how much time I wasted using the wrong information before. Didn't need to lose my messages :(. But it all seems good now, so I really can't say thanks enough.

potterbee

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 16, 2011
Oh no, the cydia app I installed won't load - it says •Support iOS 4.x (still support 3.x) - does this mean it's not compatible with 5.0.1? It installed but closes immeadiately after I open it. In that case I maybe need to downgrade my firmware after all :(

Crystal-RX

macrumors 68030
Dec 22, 2008
Seattle, WA USA
Because 5.0.1 is so new, i don't think apps in Cydia have been update so they are compatible with this new firmware. You might have to wait for awhile for them to do update.

potterbee

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 16, 2011
Could I possibly get you to give me the tutorial on how to downgrade and install cydia from there? I need this app pretty quickly.

Crystal-RX

macrumors 68030
Dec 22, 2008
Seattle, WA USA
Could I possibly get you to give me the tutorial on how to downgrade and install cydia from there? I need this app pretty quickly.

1. Download 3GS 4.1 to your computer.
2. Download Tiny umbrella to your compluter
3. Put your phone into DFU, click shift + restore and point it to 4.1 firmware.
4. Itunes will restore your phone. At the end of the process Itunes will give you a 1015 error.
5. click ok, close Itunes.
6. Open Tiny umbrella. Look at the upper left hand in tiny umbrella, you will see it detect your phone. click on that, then click on "exit recovery".
7. Your phone will boot up normally to activation screen.
8. Jailbreak it with redsn0w or limera1n.

You can download fw from http://www.iclarified.com and tiny umbrella directly its website.

potterbee

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 16, 2011
1. Download 3GS 4.1 to your computer.
2. Download Tiny umbrella to your compluter
3. Put your phone into DFU, click shift + restore and point it to 4.1 firmware.
4. Itunes will restore your phone. At the end of the process Itunes will give you a 1015 error.
5. click ok, close Itunes.
6. Open Tiny umbrella. Look at the upper left hand in tiny umbrella, you will see it detect your phone. click on that, then click on "exit recovery".
7. Your phone will boot up normally to activation screen.
8. Jailbreak it with redsn0w or limera1n.

You can download fw from http://www.iclarified.com and tiny umbrella directly its website.

Tiny umbrella is 5.0.1 version, is that okay? Or do I need to find an older version?

potterbee

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 16, 2011
Am I also able to use the same version of redsn0w I used to jailbreak the 5.0.1, just this time select the 4.1 ipsw?

Crystal-RX

macrumors 68030
Dec 22, 2008
Seattle, WA USA
Last edited:

potterbee

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 16, 2011
I'm in tiny umbrella and selecting exit recovery but it won't boot back to my regular screen.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.