Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

robots3humans0

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 22, 2009
London, Ontario
Just ran into a problem today..

My iPhone 4 suddenly stopped charging via the wall socket and will only charge via USB. It's obviously not the dock connector acting up since it'll connect to a computer.. and I've tried 2 different power blocks that will both charge an iPod normally, but won't charge my phone. I've tried it in 4 wall sockets too. So this has me very confused. I've tinkered around a lot with this phone (replaced back glass, entire frame assembly, tried to replace the battery but received two duds) and this is the first problem I've been unable to fix. I tried restarting, respringing (jailbroken on iOS 5 - with no problems at all) and nothing.

Short of restoring - which i don't want to do seeing as how 5.0 MAY still be untethered at some point, and I can only get 5.0.1 now - I have no idea what to do.

Any suggestions?

DirtySocks85

macrumors 65816
Mar 12, 2009
Wichita, KS
I know it sounds silly since you've been able to charge via USB, but have you tried different USB-dock cables? I ran into a similar issue last year and I tried multiple power blocks, but the same cable would charge fine over USB. I thought my phone was borked for sure, turns out it was the USB cable after all.

robots3humans0

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 22, 2009
London, Ontario
I know it sounds silly since you've been able to charge via USB, but have you tried different USB-dock cables? I ran into a similar issue last year and I tried multiple power blocks, but the same cable would charge fine over USB. I thought my phone was borked for sure, turns out it was the USB cable after all.

Yeah I have two cables and neither one of them will charge it through the wall anymore. Thanks for the idea though.

robots3humans0

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 22, 2009
London, Ontario
Sounds like a hardware issue.
Try to blow off or clean the dock on the iphone to see if that does anything.
Also since you took it apart and changed so many things on it who knows what might have gone wrong.

See I would think that it was hardware too. However I did all this changing around last week and it worked completely fine up until last night. Even weirder, is that I just tried plugging the phone in and leaving it despite it not wanting to charge, and it's actually charging. So now it seems like the phone has decided to not tell me that it's been plugged in (by vibrating or making the sound, or showing the charging icon) but will still charge anyways. Seems more software related to me now.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.