Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

camera+-150x151.jpg

VolumeSnap has returned to the excellent iOS photography app Camera+.

Last year, developer TapTapTap released an update to its Camera+ application with a small hack -- users could press the volume-up button to take a picture, instead of needing to press a soft-button on the screen.

This was considered an unauthorized hack and Apple banned the app until TapTapTap removed the feature. Apple then borrowed this innovation for iOS 5, and now users can press the Volume Up button to take pictures in the native iPhone camera app.

Camera+ for iPhone is available for $0.99 on the App Store [Direct Link].

Article Link: "VolumeSnap" Feature Returns to Camera+

jozero

macrumors 6502
Sep 14, 2009
Any app, if it uses the built in camera API, now inherits this feature as well.

yourstation

macrumors member
Jul 17, 2008
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A405 Safari/7534.48.3)

Apple did not 'borrow' this. It was clearly a planned feature hence Apple blocked it.

Veinticinco

macrumors 65816
Feb 25, 2009
Europe
If you can't beat them/think of it first, then block them citing DA violations regarding 'unauthorised' use of API. Then do a 180-degree U-turn once you've utilised the idea into you own OS.

Not Apple's finest hour this...

gatearray

macrumors 65816
Apr 24, 2010
And by having the publicity from Apple removing the original Easter egg from this app, the developer has made MILLIONS of dollars that she wouldn't have without said publicity.

Tinmania

macrumors 68040
Aug 8, 2011
Aridzona
iRonically I had two updates earlier: one for Camera+ and the other for Camera Genius. Both had one-line blurbs about the update.

Camera+: "Volume snap is back, beyotches!"

Camera Genius:"Removal of Volume Shot as requested by Apple."

Too funny!!!!

Michael

leroypants

Suspended
Jul 17, 2010
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A405 Safari/7534.48.3)

"Apple then borrowed this innovation for iOS 5"

A more accurate description would be "apple blatantly and outright stole this idea"

May 8, 2008
[url=http://cdn.macrumors.com/im/macrumorsthreadlogodarkd.png]Image[/url]

VolumeSnap has returned to the excellent iOS photography app Camera+.

Last year, developer TapTapTap released an update to its Camera+ application with a small hack -- users could press the volume-up button to take a picture, instead of needing to press a soft-button on the screen.

This was considered an unauthorized hack and Apple banned the app until TapTapTap removed the feature. Apple then borrowed this innovation for iOS 5, and now users can press the Volume Up button to take pictures in the native iPhone camera app.

Camera+ for iPhone is available for $0.99 on the App Store [Direct Link].

Article Link: "VolumeSnap" Feature Returns to Camera+

Editorialize much? :roll eyes:

I wasn't aware Mr. Golson was allowed to speak for MR.

JBunkers

macrumors member
Sep 20, 2008
In the middle
Too bad it doesn't actually work...

Is there some trick or secret to activating this function, or is it an iOS 5 only feature? Because I downloaded the update and tried it. When I push the volume up button while in the Camera+ app all that happens is that my volume is turned up. I have iOS 4.2 on an iPhone 4, as I am waiting to upgrade to iOS 5 once they've got a couple of .x updates to it.

BigDukeSix

macrumors 6502a
Sep 22, 2010
34.6700N 118.1590W
Is there some trick or secret to activating this function, or is it an iOS 5 only feature? Because I downloaded the update and tried it. When I push the volume up button while in the Camera+ app all that happens is that my volume is turned up. I have iOS 4.2 on an iPhone 4, as I am waiting to upgrade to iOS 5 once they've got a couple of .x updates to it.

I am wondering the exact same thing! I hope it works on iOS 4. I already have the app and I like it, but not sure what I need to do. I did just download the upgrade, but still not quite sure what else I need to do.

Last edited:

dasmb

macrumors 6502
Jul 12, 2007
Man you guys don't know what you're missing. iOS 5 offers such significant API and core language benefits to developers that our company's basically closed the book on iOS 4 for good.

For example: this function, which is not legal under iOS 4 but is built in to 5.

Get yourselves in the future. Don't like it (you will), you can always restore.

kuwxman

macrumors 6502a
Jul 25, 2009
Kansas City

Just an iOS 5 feature, it seems. I just tried taking a picture with the volume button (on a 4S, 5.0) and it worked with zero issues.

Bass Ackwards

macrumors newbie
Jul 27, 2010
iRonically I had two updates earlier: one for Camera+ and the other for Camera Genius. Both had one-line blurbs about the update.

Camera+: "Volume snap is back, beyotches!"

Camera Genius:"Removal of Volume Shot as requested by Apple."

Too funny!!!!

Michael

Yea, as a Camera Genius user I saw that update and just figured another one of those incomprehensible Apple decisions, now seeing Camera+ gets it though I'm wondering what gives? Hopefully it just has to do with the way Camera Genius was coding it and it'll come back.

TMar

macrumors 68000
Jul 20, 2008
Ky
I am wondering the exact same thing! I hope it works on iOS 4. I already have the app and I like it, but not sure what I need to do. I did just download the upgrade, but still not quite sure what else I need to do.

They are no longer using the 'hack' they had to do before to get it to work but the app did have to be updated to make use of the new API.

nagromme

macrumors G5
May 2, 2002
There are good reasons not to have this: the volume switch becomes only “sometimes” volume, and the tap-trigger jiggles the camera less (since it triggers on release and has no physical click). You can say that user confusion only matters on major issues, but the great iOS experience is actually a sum of many small choices, with pro-user motivations just like this policy (when it was in effect).

There are good reasons TO have this: people asked for it! Camera+ demonstrated/encouraged that request. A click feel is, after all, familiar (and doing it via the headphone remote is actually useful at times).

Did Apple block Camera+ so they could “steal” the idea (Evil Apple as always!) or did the developer agreement ALREADY forbid the use of the hardware buttons for non-standard purposes? Hint: the latter is true.

Then Apple changed that policy, because they LISTEN to people and flexible. This is but one of a constant stream of examples of how Apple adapts and improves. They are not fairytale tyrants, they are innovators seeking the best experience for us, and making great calls, and making bad calls, and fixing them.

However, because Apple is Always Evil™, they are both evil when they do NOT change a policy, and evil when they do :p

So, since we know they’re always evil in all cases, no matter what, and facts don’t matter... lets enjoy the change in both the native app and Camera+ :)

marty11

macrumors 6502
Oct 9, 2011

A nice synopsis of Apple's idea of innovation going forward.

JBunkers

macrumors member
Sep 20, 2008
In the middle
Not so sure...

Man you guys don't know what you're missing. iOS 5 offers such significant API and core language benefits to developers that our company's basically closed the book on iOS 4 for good.

For example: this function, which is not legal under iOS 4 but is built in to 5.

Get yourselves in the future. Don't like it (you will), you can always restore.

Actually, from what I understand from information I've read online, once you upgrade your device to iOS 5, you CAN NOT go back to iOS 4. Can anyone else verify or discredit this particular information for us?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.