Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Mowgli21

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 30, 2010
UK
Hi all

I stupidly deleted a calendar I needed from my iCloud which then erased it from all my I devices.

Is it lost for good?

Can I get it back anyway?

Cheers

Sweener88

macrumors 6502
Apr 27, 2006
Im EVERYWHERE!
just happened to me. after freaking out for 10 min i typed "calendars" into spotlight (top right corner) first search result said "Calendars - Library" i clicked that, clicked on the file that had ical icon on it and it restored them! didnt even need to use my time machine backup :) hope that helps!

vitzr

macrumors 68030
Jul 28, 2011
California
no problem :):apple:

Nice work Sweener88, that was a very smart move on your part.

I'm not so sure I would have thought of that as quickly. There's something about losing ones Calendar especially, that would have certainly freaked me out. Even though I have a backup, it's "that feeling" of loss that would have made me forget about the backup till I calmed down..ha..ha..ha..

Sweener88

macrumors 6502
Apr 27, 2006
Im EVERYWHERE!
lol thanks! :) as a student i live and breathe by my calendar so last night i definitely had that gut wrenching feeling that all my calendars were gone and trying to remember how many days ago i backed up and would have to figure out all the events iv changed since then lol i didnt even know a backup was stored locally, i just searched in spotlight to confirm my nightmare that they were infact gone but luckily i was wrong :)

mrulster

macrumors newbie
Oct 19, 2011
Belfast, Northern Ireland
Sweener88 is a champ

Sweener88, you're a champ for finding that solution. Worked like a charm for me too.

My issue was that I lost my local iCal calendars after going for iCloud -- which deletes the display of your local iCal calendars for online versions -- and if you delete/stop syncing with those, you'll end up with no calendars!

So you're suggestion has happily brought me to status quo ante. I'm really disappointed with iCloud -- it's just as poor as MobileMe syncing -- and am grateful for your fast thinking.

Sweener88

macrumors 6502
Apr 27, 2006
Im EVERYWHERE!
No problem! :) after i recovered my calendars i "unchecked" all the icloud settings but turned them back on the next day and now icloud works perfect with ical! hopefully it will work for you too :):apple:

OverHeight

macrumors newbie
Sep 20, 2011
just happened to me. after freaking out for 10 min i typed "calendars" into spotlight (top right corner) first search result said "Calendars - Library" i clicked that, clicked on the file that had ical icon on it and it restored them! didnt even need to use my time machine backup :) hope that helps!

I just did the same stupid thing. Found this, but when I search in spotlight I can't find the folder you're talking about. I assume that was in a backup? New computer and hadn't set up back up yet....and i'm usually so good at that.

Sweener88

macrumors 6502
Apr 27, 2006
Im EVERYWHERE!
Its actually a hidden folder so dont actually click through finder to locate it, just use spotlight because it seems to find hidden folders (might be a setting in systempreferences->spotlight that you have to enable for it to find hidden files)

macinhand

macrumors regular
Sep 1, 2009
Cheshire, UK
When I opened my mac earlier all my calendars were gone!

When I tried your suggestion I didn't have the iCal file in the calendar library!

Instead I fired up my time machine and pulled the back up from there! My calendars show but now within seconds iCloud deletes them all and replaces them with one calendar called mail todo :confused:

I have tried everything :(

OverHeight

macrumors newbie
Sep 20, 2011
Its actually a hidden folder so dont actually click through finder to locate it, just use spotlight because it seems to find hidden folders (might be a setting in systempreferences->spotlight that you have to enable for it to find hidden files)

I did use spotlight and I still don't see it. Under system preferences everything is checked off for searching.

If its hidden, where is it and how do I find it?

Thanks!

mmkrzus

macrumors newbie
Apr 16, 2012
The same thing happened to me but on my iPhone. My husband wanted me to be current, so he went to iCloud in Settings and turned on Calendars--voila! Like magic, it made my calendar I've kept for years disappear! I just tried typing in one item in my calendar, and that disappeared too! What is iCloud doing? Eating all my data? Help! I'm an oldie and don't really understand what happened. Thank you.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.