Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

tns.lljeexxn.170x170-75-150x150.jpg

Stanford University is offering the iOS 5 edition of its well-regarded iPhone and iPad application development course free on iTunes U.
Instructor Paul Hegarty attributes the course popularity to the appeal of Apple products and the instant gratification of creating apps for mobile devices. "There's something about developing for the iOS platform that's really exciting and fun because it runs on devices that everybody has in their purses or pockets, " he said.

"There aren't a lot of courses you can take that when you get to the end, to your final project, you can take it out of your pocket and show your friends."

Hegarty said that his students develop a wide array of applications for the iPhone and iPad, including many that improve or automate their daily lives. Those include apps that manage laboratory experiments, keep track of food choices at campus eateries, or access the works of Shakespeare. Games and social networking applications are also popular.
The offering includes the same course lectures and slides that Stanford students experience, but without the Stanford credit or access to instructors. Still, for burgeoning developers, iTunes U is an excellent opportunity to get world-class instruction for free.

The university notes that the two Stanford prerequisite courses, Programming Methodology [Link] and Programming Abstractions [Link], are also available on iTunes U.

iPhone Application Development is available free on iTunes [Link].

Article Link: Stanford Offers iPhone App Development Course Free on iTunes U

godknows

macrumors newbie
Apr 5, 2010
This lecture was there years ago. And they update it every year. Awesome stuff (although I only followed for 4 lectures before working on my own project).

Last edited by a moderator:

jakesteramma

macrumors member
Oct 10, 2007
Awesome resource. The one's in the past have been a bit fast paced for my experience level which is a beginner. But it is indeed excellent and I keep coming back to it as I learn more.

Thanks to Apple and the Universities for such an wonderful learning experience!!!!

:D

goodfellaNW

macrumors newbie
Mar 7, 2008
Very true (the last was Fall 2010) but the Fall 2010 was outdated rather quickly because of XCode releases. It's nice to finally have an updated lecture and hopefully this utilizes the latest and greatest!

The Stanford lecture is by far the best out of all iOS lectures available on iTunes U.

This lecture was there years ago. And they update it every year. Awesome stuff (although I only followed for 4 lectures before working on my own project).

AustinZ

macrumors member
Aug 6, 2008
The class isn't over; there are still lectures that have been yet to be delivered and filmed. Others are in the post-production pipeline.

Amazing Iceman

macrumors 603
Nov 8, 2008
Florida, U.S.A.
An absolute must for beginning iPhone developers.

But according to what I read, not for beginning developers. You must know C++ already or have a good foundation on it.

----------

There's not as many videos as Fall 2010 for some reason

Apparently, either the course is still in progress with new videos posting every time there's a class, or they are just going to post as they finish editing.

admanimal

macrumors 68040
Apr 22, 2005
But according to what I read, not for beginning developers. You must know C++ already or have a good foundation on it.

It's an upper level undergraduate computer science course. This means that, at a bare minimum, the students will already have had an intro to object-oriented programming (probably Java or C++) and something on data structures.

4np

macrumors 6502a
Feb 23, 2005
The Netherlands
I'm following it as well... I was following last year's course, but I find this years' iOS 5 course more suitable as it's become more easy for non-C developers to understand. For example, due to ARC (automatic reference counting) the whole retain/release mess is overboard and memory management is more or less out of the way. Which means you can focus more on the 'how' and the functionality than on boilerplate code. Also this course seems to focus on the dot notation from the start, while in previous year(s) it was more focussed on how it was supposed to go, how that changed over the years, and how you're supposed to do it now. This year's course is focussed on how it is supposed to do now (e.g. from the start the dot notation, synthesizing properties, etc), and how one was supposed to do it before is pretty much out of scope of the course. I find this year's course a more hands-on experience and practical while the previous ones were more theoretical.

The whole idea of designing the view, hooking it up to code through outlets and actions is really quite elegant. The syntax is the bit to get used to, but due to the dot notation that becomes more easy to follow.

If you have a history in OO-programming and are familiar with the MVC design pattern, you will find this course is quite easy to follow.

In my opinion the best iOS course out there... Must see if you want to head into iOS development... Especially as it covers the iOS 5 SDK and Xcode 4 very well (a lot of new API's were introduced, and Xcode 4 has changed quite dramatically compare to the previous iterations). And what better a teacher than one who actually helped set up Objective-C at NeXT at the very beginning? :)

There's not as many videos as Fall 2010 for some reason

The course started at the end of september and is still underway...

It might indeed be a bit hard to grasp if you do not understand basic OO programming, as it it constantly referring to Class, Object, Instance, Inheritance, Introspection, etcetera. If you do not have the basic OO-knowledge this is gonna be a tough cookie... But, any OO will do... C++ definitely not a requirement...

Last edited:

applesith

macrumors 68030
Jun 11, 2007
Manhattan
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A405 Safari/7534.48.3)

Def going to check this out!

powers74

macrumors 68000
Aug 18, 2008
At the bend in the river
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A405 Safari/7534.48.3)

Wow, that is fsarking awesome. Just watched one of the first classes. Wish I had the time to sit around all day and learn this stuff, but im a bit of an old dog now to be starting developing (32). Maybe in a year or so I can have an app out. I think iTunes U is one of the totally underrated things Apple has done.

ArchiMark

macrumors 6502
Feb 2, 2003
Silicon Valley
Another Alternative

Another alternative to developing cross-platform apps for iOS, Mac OS, Android, etc is using RunRev's easy to use LiveCode....

They have great support, support forums, as well as a live online learning program (like webex seminars...) with downloadable supporting materials....

Check it out at

http://runrev.com/

FYI, I have no connection to RunRev other than being a satisfied customer....

Last edited:

1goodidea

macrumors member
Nov 11, 2011
Of course if you have a great app idea you could just contract a developer to do the coding for you.

Nevertheless, a great resource and I'll definately be watching it.

mdriftmeyer

macrumors 68040
Feb 2, 2004
Pacific Northwest
My friend and former colleague, Julie Zelenski, has been teaching at Stanford for nearly 2 decades and as a Software Engineer at NeXT and Apple--in short, an expert in ObjC/Cocoa.

AxiomaticRubric

macrumors 6502a
Sep 24, 2010
On Mars, Praising the Omnissiah
I've watched many iTunesU videos on iOS and Dr. Hegarty's are by far the best. I didn't know he worked at NeXT. That certainly explains how well-versed he is!

What's a good one on learning just the C programing language?
Slightly off-topic, but I'd recommend C#. It's not "pure C", but it's as close as one can get to a perfect object-oriented programming language. ;) Then again, I might be biased. :p

Another benefit of learning C# is that you can use MonoTouch to develop apps for any of the 3 major mobile platforms. It's not cheap software but it would be a good option if you're looking to reach the widest possible audience with your apps.

liavman

macrumors 6502
Sep 22, 2009
And what better a teacher than one who actually helped set up Objective-C at NeXT at the very beginning?

Yes, indeed. It is such a pleasure to even just watch the course videos. At the start of the fourth lecture, the teacher pays tribute to SJ. When he graduated from Stanford almost two decades ago, he went to work for SJ at Next.

Roheryn

macrumors member
Aug 16, 2010
Nova Scotia
I think iTunes U is one of the totally underrated things Apple has done.

Agreed. It is one of the greatest, yet totally unsung aspects of iTunes. I have no idea why Apple don't base an ad on it. The sheer range of amazing courses are breath-taking. :eek:

roars1111

macrumors newbie
Aug 30, 2012
Updated for iOS 5. Tools and APIs required to build applications for the iPhone and iPad platform using the iOS SDK. User interface designs for mobile devices and unique user interactions using multi-touch technologies. Object-oriented design using model-view-controller paradigm, memory management, Objective-C programming language. Other topics include: object-oriented database API, animation, multi-threading and performance considerations. Prerequisites: C language and programming experience at the level of 106B (Programming Abstractions) or X. Recommended: UNIX, object-oriented programming, graphical toolkits Offered by Stanford’s School of Engineering, the course will last ten weeks and include both the lecture videos and PDF documents. A new lecture will be posted each Monday, Wednesday and Friday. Subscribe to this course, and automatically receive new lectures as they become available. Released with a Creative Commons BY-NC-ND license.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.