Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Frosticus

macrumors 6502a
Oct 4, 2010
Bristol, UK
Posted

Well, I just posted mine back today.

It was my first ever Apple product, so I was a little sad to let it go - but to be honest, I have nothing to lose as the battery has not worked very well in years - it will literally only last a few minutes.

So... even if I only receive my original iPod, but with a new battery, I'll be happy. Will wait and see what happens....

Confuzzzed

macrumors 68000
Aug 7, 2011
Liverpool, UK
I left with my Nano -- so whatever I'm getting in (now less than) a week is surely not one of these original Nanos refurbished...

Your argument doesn't make sense. Sure you won't get YOUR iPod nano back refurbished. But you will get a 1st generation refurbished nano back unless the authorised retailer you refer to makes a very generous gesture (which I can't imagine why they would for a product sold more than 5 years ago). So when Toyota recalled its cars for a break pedal problem, did people receive a brand new car back in replacement?

yirose

macrumors newbie
Aug 23, 2011
Your argument doesn't make sense. Sure you won't get YOUR iPod nano back refurbished. But you will get a 1st generation refurbished nano back unless the authorised retailer you refer to makes a very generous gesture (which I can't imagine why they would for a product sold more than 5 years ago). So when Toyota recalled its cars for a break pedal problem, did people receive a brand new car back in replacement?

Not a reseller, the apple store -- very quick turnaround for one of the 1st gens -- a week? Really? ****?!??!!!! With that I am out

zerobatman

macrumors newbie
Nov 13, 2011
Called the nearest Apple Authorised service center. The person said Ok bring your ipod, you'll get the same back after we send it to our warehouse. Then they ask me what's wrong with your ipod? And if it's in working condition or not?
I'm pretty sure they're hoping they can just wipe it clean and send it back. :p

sclawis300

macrumors 65816
Apr 22, 2010

That is the worst analogy I have ever heard. In no way is a break pedal on a $20k vehicle the same as a (non-user replaceable) battery on a small electronic device. Also, when automobiles are recalled, they fix yours and give it back to you, and it does not take 6 weeks. There is a big difference between repair and replace. It is most likely more cost efficient to unload inventory of all generations of ipod nanos that are laying around instead of spending money to refurb a bunch of 1st gens.

Confuzzzed

macrumors 68000
Aug 7, 2011
Liverpool, UK
That is the worst analogy I have ever heard. In no way is a break pedal on a $20k vehicle the same as a (non-user replaceable) battery on a small electronic device. Also, when automobiles are recalled, they fix yours and give it back to you, and it does not take 6 weeks. There is a big difference between repair and replace. It is most likely more cost efficient to unload inventory of all generations of ipod nanos that are laying around instead of spending money to refurb a bunch of 1st gens.

we'll see.

cgc

macrumors 6502a
May 30, 2003
Utah
Apple's automated reply was clear...we will NOT be receiving our own iPod back. I seriously doubt we'll be getting someone else's back as well unless Apple only returns unengraved models to eliminate offending the recipient. That would also mean they'd run out of returns to fix and send back out since quite a few are engraved so what would happen then? Apple may be replacing the back and battery but then they also have to make sure the screens not FUBARed which takes more out of the pool to return to customers.

I don't warrant anything other than what I send them but I don't see how Apple can refurb them and send them back, especially when considering the volume. I'm very interested but then again where the heck is my box? I submitted my ticket Saturday, Apple said it'd be here in two (work) days, yet i still don't have it. I could catch on fire...

iRickyRocket

macrumors newbie
Nov 14, 2011
I submitted my ticket Saturday, Apple said it'd be here in two (work) days, yet i still don't have it. I could catch on fire...

I submitted my ticket on Sunday and I don't have my box yet either. There must be a shortage of fire proof boxes.

The more I think of this it seems ridiculous to try and collect all of the 5 year old devices, refurbish them and send them back out. Apple should have at least given us the option of a $50 Apple gift card instead. Would be easier for them and us. By accepting the gift card we would relieve Apple of any damages/responsibility of the old devices.

tivoboy

macrumors 68040
May 15, 2005
protocol

I submitted my ticket on Sunday and I don't have my box yet either. There must be a shortage of fire proof boxes.

The more I think of this it seems ridiculous to try and collect all of the 5 year old devices, refurbish them and send them back out. Apple should have at least given us the option of a $50 Apple gift card instead. Would be easier for them and us. By accepting the gift card we would relieve Apple of any damages/responsibility of the old devices.

that isn't the way their protocol has worked in the past. Normally, you get qualified and THEN you pick. Otherwise I think more people might try to game the system somehow.

So, IMHO we won't know till we know and that probably won't happen till devices get sent in, qualified, confirmed valid, and then a letter will be sent out (or email) with some options.

My guess, it would be MORE than 50$, and or a NEW version nano.

jap1198

macrumors 6502
Jun 11, 2009
Dallas, TX
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A405 Safari/7534.48.3)

Apparently I'm not the only one who hasn't received a box yet. I submitted my repair order on Saturday.

AndrewR23

Contributor
Jun 24, 2010
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A405 Safari/7534.48.3)

Apparently I'm not the only one who hasn't received a box yet. I submitted my repair order on Saturday.

Same here. And I live 500 feet from where the box is coming from and going too.

SvenSvenson

macrumors regular
Jul 17, 2007
we'll see.

I don't think we will...and it is a poor analogy.

Getting a new Nano in exchange for your old one seems too good to be true, but how much would it cost to dissassemble an old Nano, replace the battery and fit a new case, compared to grabbing a new Nano out of a warehouse and sending it out to you?

Steve

MST

macrumors 6502
Dec 3, 2007
Surrey, UK
I received my shipping pack yesterday and have just finished packing my 1G nano ready for posting on my way to work this afternoon. I'm not too fussed, obviously it would be nice to get a brand new nano but it would equally nice to have my current one restored free of charge.

Having looked at the address I'm sending it to and doing a bit of research it would seem that the company it is being sent to [here in the UK at least]: Unipart AKA Unipart Logistics, are apparently one of the UK's market leading repair services.

If they can repair 100,000 mobile phones a month as their website states then this shouldn't be a problem for them. Sorry to disappoint but I don't expect any of us will see anything other than a nice shiny 1G nano coming through the post any time soon.

Last edited:

reddevil0728

macrumors regular
Jun 19, 2010

MST said:
I received my shipping pack yesterday and have just finished packing my 1G nano ready for posting on my way to work this afternoon. I'm not too fussed, obviously it would be nice to get a brand new nano but it would equally nice to my current one restored free of charge.

Having looked the the address I'm sending it to and doing a bit of research it would seem that the company it is being sent to [here in the UK at least]: Unipart AKA Unipart Logistics, who are apparently one of the UK's market leading repair services.

If they can repair 100,000 mobile phones a month as their website states then this shouldn't be a problem for them. Sorry to disappoint but I don't expect any of us will see anything other than a nice shiny 1G nano coming through the post any time soon.

I don't have to send in my iPod nano

radiohed

macrumors regular
Oct 17, 2007
Portland, ME
I'm waiting for my box to arrive. I still think Apple will collect all of the incoming units, test them, pick out the usable ones and replace the front, back and battery, and viola, a perfectly good 1st generation nano that looks as good as new. :D I will be happy with that, but if they send something else, I will be happy with that as well. It is a 5-6 year old iPod so I don't expect a new one in return. Apple has the resources to refurbish huge quantities of product, so I think they can easily handle this swap.

Confuzzzed

macrumors 68000
Aug 7, 2011
Liverpool, UK
I don't think we will...and it is a poor analogy.

Getting a new Nano in exchange for your old one seems too good to be true, but how much would it cost to dissassemble an old Nano, replace the battery and fit a new case, compared to grabbing a new Nano out of a warehouse and sending it out to you?

Steve

I admire you optimism but you demonstrate very little commercial nous. The company has an excellent refurbishment system in place and is selling its products at a decent enough margin to enable it to undertake those works without thinking much about the cost.

The company has not done what you suggest in the past, why do you think it should change its strategy now? Because it's a low value product? It MAY offer a gift card as an alternative, but if you want a product back, I imagine you will simply get a 1st gen iPod nano so that a precedent is not set. How much is that worth?

Besides, if they handed out current generation product, it would compromise the sales of its current product line. What do you think would happen to the majority of those iPod nanos if a current generation product was given to us? Most of them would end up in the secondary market which would cannibalise Apple's sales of the product. I can't see it happening. We'll get refurbs. New battery, new casing (back and front) and new screen.

So yes. We'll see. But if you have some iPod nanos promised away as Christmas presents, I'd go buy them if I were you because I don't think you'll be getting a freebie from Apple. And I don't blame them.

----------

Sorry to disappoint but I don't expect any of us will see anything other than a nice shiny 1G nano coming through the post any time soon.

Spot on. There's a great deal of child-like 'entitlement' going on with many people. The majority on here are simply day dreaming! Come on guys. You have wasted more than $110 worth of energy thinking and talking about the prospects of a freebie. What is your own time worth. If you want a current generation iPod nano, go buy one!!

Last edited:

higgins7755

macrumors newbie
Jul 23, 2009
N Wales UK
Submitted Ticket on Saturday, return packaging arrived Tuesday morning, posted back to Apple Tuesday afternoon, received an email from apple 10mins ok saying " Your service request has been completed and your IPOD NANO shipped on 2011-11-17. Please allow two business days for delivery (five business days if your product is an iPad that has a personalised engraving).
Your product shipped via UPS using tracking number ****************, which should be active within 24 hours.
Shipping address:
************* Serial Number of Original Product: 6U549F7ASZB
Serial Number of Replacement Product: 5K01000ESZB".

Really Quick turn Around.

Well done Apple.:apple:

corblimeylimey

macrumors newbie
Aug 9, 2006
UK
Submitted Ticket on Saturday, return packaging arrived Tuesday morning, posted back to Apple Tuesday afternoon, received an email from apple 10mins ok saying " Your service request has been completed and your IPOD NANO shipped on 2011-11-17. Please allow two business days for delivery (five business days if your product is an iPad that has a personalised engraving).
Your product shipped via UPS using tracking number ****************, which should be active within 24 hours.
Shipping address:
************* Serial Number of Original Product: 6U549F7ASZB
Serial Number of Replacement Product: 5K01000ESZB".

Really Quick turn Around.

Well done Apple.:apple:

Same here :) I'm in the UK too.

The serial number of my new one is very similar to yours 5K01002**** from the type of serial number I'm guessing they'll certainly be 1st gen Nano's with new casing, I'm very happy with that, a new nano wouldn't charge on my Apple HiFi nor look so good on it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.