Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bp1000

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jul 7, 2011
Curiosity got the better of me and I tried out fetch email for one day and I've found the battery life was pretty much exactly the same.

I'm a very heavy user doing everything from lots of browsing listening to music using the location services using Siri and using Bluetooth. I find that 3G browsing uses the most battery and you just can't get around that. Switching to fetch email is counter intuitive for me I need instant email to my 4 accounts.

I really like to experiment but now I realise that there is no difference, if there was a difference its not even worth talking about.

jcorbin

macrumors 65816
Oct 18, 2011
D.C.
I just like using fetch every hour, so I don't get all hyped about getting a dumb email.

i have mine set to an hour. mainly because i'm paranoid about battery life. one thing i don't like is when you have it set to fetch you get batches of email. i like getting 1 or 2 at a time. hate getting 10 emails at once

jcorbin

macrumors 65816
Oct 18, 2011
D.C.
How many people use push? i was so used to it with my android. i switched to fetch for fear of battery life issues. i would love to set it to push but i'm such a whiny b**** about battery life. so if you guys can confirm it doesn't make a difference that would be awesome.

Shadowbech

macrumors G3
Oct 18, 2011
How many people use push? i was so used to it with my android. i switched to fetch for fear of battery life issues. i would love to set it to push but i'm such a whiny b**** about battery life. so if you guys can confirm it doesn't make a difference that would be awesome.

I use push and never had any issues with battery draining.

Shadowbech

macrumors G3
Oct 18, 2011
sweet. i'll have to try it out. how many accounts do you have? i have 2 right now

I only have one e-mail set up as I only use one e-mail address.

But I wouldn't recommend push if you know you will be receiving tons of e-mail in a day. I only receive few e-mails a day but it's not a concern for me.

Small White Car

macrumors G4
Aug 29, 2006
Washington DC
I used to spend weeks trying different battery-saving techniques.

Yeah, I found that as much as people argue about it, push-vs-fetch is really not that a big of a difference. I always suggest people set their email to the version they want and not worry about battery life in terms of that choice.

jcorbin

macrumors 65816
Oct 18, 2011
D.C.
i just realized it doesn't matter...gmail doesn't have a push option on iOS

oh well. i'll just set it to 30 or 15 minutes

Shadowbech

macrumors G3
Oct 18, 2011
i just realized it doesn't matter...gmail doesn't have a push option on iOS

oh well. i'll just set it to 30 or 15 minutes

Yea the native mail app with gmail doesn't offer push but the Gmail app at the App Store (yes it's out now) does have push, but I prefer the native app over the gmail app for some reason. BTW I do have my gmail account set up through microsoft exchange and it works flawlessly with push.

outlawarth

macrumors 6502a
Mar 20, 2011
On a related note... I have mine set to check every hour. Does the built-in email client need to remain open in the background for fetch to work?

I sometimes like to kill all the apps running in the background. Just wondering what impact it has on fetching emails.

bp1000

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jul 7, 2011
Just to add to my initial findings

I also set all of my 4 accounts to fwd email to my iCloud email address.

I turned all of my accounts off push and set to manual and i enabled push iCloud mail, purely for notification purposes.

I had iCloud push enabled for contacts, calendars, bookmarks etc so i wondered if having an open connection to iCloud anyway, i could add email into that... i wondered whether this would be more efficient, just having the phone manage 1 push open connection rather than having 4 separate ones. Obviously i have no idea how the OS handles this but i like to experiment.

As it turned out, again, there seems to be no difference.

So i have disabled fwd-ing and i'm back to push on each account.

Still getting what i deem to be good battery life. I can survive 7 - 8 hours usage with around a day's standby.

Unless there is a bug in the OS (which i haven't experienced on either of my phone 4s's) then the main thing that kills the battery life is 3G browsing and watching youtube over 3G or even wifi.

I could be browsing for up to an hour at a time and i see the battery drop possibly 15%. I'm happy with that.

jcorbin

macrumors 65816
Oct 18, 2011
D.C.
On a related note... I have mine set to check every hour. Does the built-in email client need to remain open in the background for fetch to work?

I sometimes like to kill all the apps running in the background. Just wondering what impact it has on fetching emails.

no its a native app so it will launch on its own

ShionoyaTamaki

macrumors 6502
Oct 9, 2011
Push notifications for apps are consolidated into one open connection to conserve battery. Multiple app servers communicate to apple's server then to your phone.

But are Exchange push emails grouped together with app notification or are they own its own connection? Wondering if having multiple exchange server drains battery more or not.

estockme

macrumors regular
Mar 3, 2011
I'm wondering something similar- I don't have that many apps--less than 3 full screens with no folders--but there are still at least a dozen things using push. is mail adding that much to the battery load?

Daveoc64

macrumors 601
Jan 16, 2008
Bristol, UK
Push notifications for apps are consolidated into one open connection to conserve battery. Multiple app servers communicate to apple's server then to your phone.

But are Exchange push emails grouped together with app notification or are they own its own connection? Wondering if having multiple exchange server drains battery more or not.

Mail does not use the Apple Push Notification service.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.