Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

xply

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 9, 2007
Hi. when I am using the built in search in safari (using the google/yahoo search bar within safari), the search results i used before are still present, even after clearing the cache, cookies, and history from the setting> safari menu. I've also changed my search from google to yahoo, cleared those 3 things, and changed it back to google and my previous search results are still present. I am using 2.0 pwnage firmware. thank you.

MBHockey

macrumors 601
Oct 4, 2003
Connecticut
This will clear the search history:

1) Go to Settings --> Safari
2) Change your search engine (switch from Google to Yahoo! or vice versa)
3) Tap Home button
4) Tap Safari
5) Go to Settings --> Safari
6) Tap the following sequentially: Clear History, Clear Cookies, Clear Cache
7) Change your search engine back to what it was originally
8) Tap Home button
9) Launch Safari and verify search history is gone

xply

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 9, 2007
wow thanks mbhockey :) i originally thought i did the same process when i tried that the first time. but i decided to do it again following your steps exactly and it worked!! thanks!!

jkd19

macrumors newbie
Aug 4, 2008
Still Having Trouble Deleting History

I feel like I am following the steps correctly, but still the search bar will pop up with the sites.

sj.iphone

macrumors newbie
Aug 22, 2008
You Have Bookmarked That Page

Even though you might have cleverly disguised the name of the page (e.g. 'Cunning Swedish Linguistics') Safari will keep showing the URL in the address bar. This is a default action for all bookmarked site. Delete the bookmark from Safari and use an app like 1password. It has a built in browser and does not use Safari, so Safari does not know what sites are bookmarked or what sites you visited. Your secret visit to 'Massive Banal Plug-ins' will remain a secret.

Zmmyt

macrumors 68000
Jan 6, 2005

3) Tap Home button
4) Tap Safari
8) Tap Home button

cheers!

sj.iphone

macrumors newbie
Aug 22, 2008
Clearing Bookmarked Site from Address Bar

The method you reposted will work to clear the search history from Safari, but it will not clear pages that are bookmarked.

Try it out. Do a Google search using Safari to find two sites you haven’t been to before. (I searched for dog show.). Go to those two sites and bookmark one. (I bookmarked dogshow.ca, but not westerndogshows.com.) Then clear Safari’s history, cookies and cache using the method you describe.

When you reopen Safari you will find that all history has been erased from the address bar except for the bookmarked site. If you start typing d-o-g in the address bar, the site’s URL (dogshow.ca) will show up. If you type w-e-s-t you get nothing.

The only way to get rid of dogshow.ca is to erase the bookmark before clearing the history/cache/cookies.

danielsan1701

macrumors newbie
Feb 8, 2006

3) Tap Home button
4) Tap Safari
4a) Tap Home button
8) Tap Home button

For those not wanting to lose site logins and such, this method does work with out clearing cookies.

bradenwh

macrumors 6502
Apr 12, 2008
For Pete's sake...

Just go to Safari, click on the Bookmarks icon at the bottom, to go History, and in the bottom left click Clear. There. Done. Simple.

Mr. Giver '94

macrumors 68000
Jun 2, 2008
London
Even though you might have cleverly disguised the name of the page (e.g. 'Cunning Swedish Linguistics') Safari will keep showing the URL in the address bar. This is a default action for all bookmarked site. Delete the bookmark from Safari and use an app like 1password. It has a built in browser and does not use Safari, so Safari does not know what sites are bookmarked or what sites you visited. Your secret visit to 'Massive Banal Plug-ins' will remain a secret.

I see what you did there! :D

PhixionFilms

macrumors 6502
Dec 6, 2008
Deployed atm
if you want to clear your google searches also, go to google.com>preferences>then erase all data entries. Then you also have a check box to never remember.

LightAngel

macrumors newbie
Jul 3, 2010
How delete iPhone search History…including the searched words.

1. Open Safari, at the bottom of your screen tap bookmark icon and clear the bookmarks
2. From the home screen, go to settings, Safari, clear History, Cookies and Cache.
3. From home screen, settings, General, Reset, Reset Keyboard Dictionary, Reset Dictionary.
4. Done:)

Barboosh

macrumors newbie
Jan 11, 2011
Help

3) Tap Home button
4) Tap Safari
8) Tap Home button

Well I'm doing all that but it's not working, unless "verify search history is gone" means doing something. I don't really know and need help

ringham33170

macrumors newbie
Jan 18, 2011
After performing the 9 steps as already detailed by other posters, do the following:

10) Open safari
11) Go to http://www.google.com or http://www.google.co.uk
12) Enter 'any letter' into the search bar, without hitting 'search.' This should cause drop down menu of previous searches and suggestions
13) Hit 'Clear History,' found at the bottom left of this drop down menu.
14) Perform steps 10-12 to confirm clearance of search history

(I presume this is the issue that people are complaining about when they say that safari history is not being cleared)

Jackson1442

macrumors newbie
Mar 26, 2011
Works!!!

http://tiny.cc/Jw1 :) Thank you so much MBHockey! It worked great! Other sites just tell me to clear history/cookies/cache :)o) and it didn't work. Thanks for so detailed instructions!!!:cool: :) no more :(s

ziddon

macrumors newbie
Sep 1, 2011
To delete the google searches on mobile version
1.go on to safari 2.go on to google 3.click on settings.4.click clear saved searches 4.if you never want youelr google searches to be saved again click off
on save recent searches
HOPE IT HELPED

Danmc1309

macrumors newbie
Oct 25, 2011
Is there anyway to deleted the histoy of the search function of the actual phone like when you click the bottom button twice in a row? Deleted texts still show up there if you search a persons name...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.