Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ChazUK

macrumors 603
Feb 3, 2008
Essex (UK)

BBC Weather, 1970's.

michael_fish1.png

flipperfeet

macrumors regular
Aug 19, 2003
Santa Cruz, CA
no-one rides for free.

So am I understanding right.

You can upload your own music (up to 20k songs) and google will store them, and steam them to any computer or android device, and you can redownload them to any device at any time. All of this for free? No Ads?

Ah, but it sure will be easy for them to use this data to taylor ads to you for every other browsing experience. As you must be logged in to access your music it will undoubtedly be a factor in the rest of your google experience. Yet another way for them to gather your personal psychographic data and monetize it without your knowledge, and determine the type of search results and ad you will receive. To some folks anonymity of their web browsing and unfiltered search results is worth much more than $25 a year.

ChrisA

macrumors G5
Jan 5, 2006
Redondo Beach, California
Just like iTunes it's hardly the way to listen to music. Music stores seized to exist and millions are isolated from each other with ears filled with cheap headphones. Compressed distribution and cheap devices stripped the public and now the second generation from quality reproduction. Effectively it's nothing more than noise. Sad.

I think what really killed the music as when FM stations became jukeboxes. Each station narrowed their play list so as to appeal for a very tight and well defined demographic. Station formats were designed so that they could tell the advertising buyer EXACTLY who would hear the ads. That was what was driving it, they needed a tight demographic. (Lexus does not want to buy air time to sell $50,000 cars to teenagers.)

After FM became fragmented it made it impossible for there ever to be another Elvis or Beatles. So music moves out of mainstream culture and into 100 mini-cultures.

EDIT:
... but it sure will be easy for them to use this data to taylor ads to you for every other browsing experience...

Good point. And so the trend that started with FM radio continues. Ads can be even more targeted

Oletros

macrumors 603
Jul 27, 2009
Premià de Mar
Ah, but it sure will be easy for them to use this data to taylor ads to you for every other browsing experience. As you must be logged in to access your music it will undoubtedly be a factor in the rest of your google experience. Yet another way for them to gather your personal psychographic data and monetize it without your knowledge, and determine the type of search results and ad you will receive. To some folks anonymity of their web browsing and unfiltered search results is worth much more than $25 a year.

No, you don't need to be online if you use the offline mode to acces the music in an Android device

LagunaSol

macrumors 601
Apr 3, 2003
There's no ads...at least not in the Android app. Whether there is on the website I don't know, as I have no need to use it.

Wow, you Google fans are naive.

Yes, I'm sure the reason Google gives you Android for free and free cloud storage for your music is because they love you, not because they want to leverage you for advertising (you know, their one and only source of revenue).

It's amazing how easily Google plays people like a fiddle.

Keep voting me down, Googlebots. Cover your eyes and ears too if it makes you feel better about the situation.

Eidorian

macrumors Penryn
Mar 23, 2005
Indianapolis
No, you don't need to be online if you use the offline mode to acces the music in an Android device
The Google Music application reads songs off of the file system just like the majority of players. I have the Music Player, Google Music, and WinAmp installed right now. I have tinkered with Double Twist a few times.

In all honesty, my desire to have my music available anywhere has grown very weak in the sphere of portable computing.

Gasu E.

macrumors 603
Mar 20, 2004
Not far from Boston, MA.
And where exactly in my post did I suggest otherwise? I said you'll have to upload the "majority" (meaning: not all) of your library with Apple and "all" (meaning: all) of your songs with Google.

I have well over 20K songs, and pretty much the only things I had to upload were my extensive Grateful Dead bootleg collection and recordings by my son's garage band. :)

Eidorian

macrumors Penryn
Mar 23, 2005
Indianapolis
If your offline how do you stream music ?

Dumb question since I don't use anything google or android.
You can tell the application to stream only or download. You can even limit this to Wi-Fi only. It will download the songs you have uploaded to the file system.

Peace

Cancelled
Apr 1, 2005
Space The Only Frontier
You can tell the application to stream only or download. You can even limit this to Wi-Fi only. It will download the songs you have uploaded to the file system.

You can do that in offline mode ? I was thinking offline mode meant you weren't online. Meaning not connected to the Internet

Or does offline mode mean not visible to other users ?

AcesHigh87

macrumors 6502a
Jan 11, 2009
New Brunswick, Canada
Hopefully this comes out of beta quick and can get introduced outside of the united states. As a music lover and droid owner in Canada it would be great to have. Especially if it means being able to get my entire music library without having to fill up my phone’s storage space.

Eidorian

macrumors Penryn
Mar 23, 2005
Indianapolis
You can do that in offline mode ? I was thinking offline mode meant you weren't online. Meaning not connected to the Internet
It will playback any music on the filesystem, from Google Music or not. I have used the Google Music application without any internet connection. I just cannot get any new songs without adding them to the file system first.

thenerdal

macrumors 65816
Oct 14, 2011
Hopefully this comes out of beta quick and can get introduced outside of the united states. As a music lover and droid owner in Canada it would be great to have. Especially if it means being able to get my entire music library without having to fill up my phone’s storage space.

It is out of Beta.

Oletros

macrumors 603
Jul 27, 2009
Premià de Mar
Wow, you Google fans are naive.

Yes, I'm sure the reason Google gives you Android for free and free cloud storage for your music is because they love you, not because they want to leverage you for advertising (you know, their one and only source of revenue).

It's amazing how easily Google plays people like a fiddle.

Keep voting me down, Googlebots. Cover your eyes and ears too if it makes you feel better about the situation.

Can you explain me where ads are shown using Android?

And you call others googlebots, blinds when you only bash anything that is not Apple and even have an avatar that show how fanatic you are?

I suspect that people like you (Apple fanboys, Google fandroids, ms fans, etc) are paid by competition to make the brands you supposedly are fans look stupid

Eidorian

macrumors Penryn
Mar 23, 2005
Indianapolis
Can you explain me where ads are shown using Android?

And you call others googlebots, blinds when you only bash anything that is not Apple and even have an avatar that show how fanatic you are?

I suspect that people like you (Apple fanboys, Google fandroids, ms fans, etc) are paid by competition to make the brands you supposedly are fans look stupid
It is the usual hunt from the same actors. Welcome to Page 1.

iDuel

macrumors 6502a
Jul 20, 2011
Greece/USA
I actually welcome a new mainstream music store. iTunes needs competition. It's because of the lack of competition that apple agreed to raise music prices to $1.29.

ChazUK

macrumors 603
Feb 3, 2008
Essex (UK)
God/Allah/Buddha/Flying Spaghetti Monster/Big Bang Theory/Xenu, a really long time ago:

cloud-ciel-azur.jpg

Some people look into the sky and see faces, objects and are reminded of distant memories in the clouds. Consultant looks up and all he sees is nature stealing the MobileMe logo from Apple in 2008.

Damn you nature! shakes fist at sky

aerok

macrumors 65816
Oct 29, 2011
I'll just sadly assume it'll never come to Blackberry and cry in my little corner.

And also cry because it is not available in Canada yet just like Google Voice. :(

Eidorian

macrumors Penryn
Mar 23, 2005
Indianapolis
Cool. Does anybody know if you can rip a bootleg cd and upload it to your account then stream it to another device for free ?
As long as the audio format is compatible, playback is limited to a device with said Google Music application or a web browser that supports Flash. At least, the playback page freaks out when I try to block Flash and pops a dialog box up telling me I need to enable it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.