Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

gradstudent88

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 2, 2011
I've discovered this fantastic new problem with iTunes Match/iCloudwhere, when I go to add songs to my playlist in iTunes (on my Mac), I get this error message:

"iCloud playlists can only contain songs from your iCloud music library."

If I click 'Remove playlist and Continue,' it obviously removes it from my iPhone immediately and I don't know how to get it back. How can I enable it so I can seamlessly edit my playlists on my Mac and have it sync up with my phone without this hassle?

JonPC

macrumors newbie
Jan 25, 2012
I have iTunes 10.5.3 (latest as of today) and am having the same problem. I purchased a song on iTunes on my Mac and am unable to drag it into a playlist without getting:

"iCould playlists can only contain songs from your iCloud music library."

So the question for me is: Why is a purchased song not considered a part of my iCloud music library?

I found that I CAN add the song to the same playlist from my iPhone 4, but then the playlists on my iPhone and Mac are out of sync. Performaing a manual sync in iTunes on the Mac doesn't resolve this.

vincebio

macrumors 6502a
Jun 27, 2005
Glasgow
its yet another MAJOR iTunes Match bug....its ridiculous how under developed some of Apple's software is thesedays...

I would love someone from apple to describe to me me in plain english why i cant update a playlist with another song without removing it altogether..

Totally retarted...

Is iTunes Match only meant for completed music collections??:confused:

Reactions: Col4bin

dshnva

macrumors newbie
Nov 16, 2011
Same problem here. The solution is don't drag -- instead right-click on the song(s) and choose "Add to Playlist"

Marcode

macrumors newbie
Apr 30, 2009
London, UK
Have Apple locked us into only buying from iTunes

My problem is slightly different: music bought from iTunes can be added to a playlist, but music bought else where, like Amazon (because it's cheaper) can't be added to the playlist.

So does this mean that Apple have locked me in to buying music only from them? I've had to stop using iCloud while this remains an issue.

verwon

macrumors 68030
Jul 26, 2011
Seattle
My problem is slightly different: music bought from iTunes can be added to a playlist, but music bought else where, like Amazon (because it's cheaper) can't be added to the playlist.

So does this mean that Apple have locked me in to buying music only from them? I've had to stop using iCloud while this remains an issue.

I have music in there from many sources, including Amazon and it works fine.

thxbruce

macrumors newbie
Jul 21, 2011
Midwest
REALLY! Still no fix to Playlists !! C'mon

I really can't believe that Apple still hasn't addressed this problem of:
1. I purchase a song on my iPhone or iPad
2. I'm operating under a Match subscription that matched ALL of my music.
3. The newly purchased song shows up on my iMac under Purchased and Music
4. I try to move that song to an existing playlist that I've had forever (workout mix)
5. I get that crazy message: "iCloud playlists can only contain songs from your iCloud music library." "If you continue,"playlist name" will be removed from iCloud and will only be available on this computer."

What the H does that mean. I'll eventually blow away all songs out of the cloud since I want to move them to a playlist. I don't see any instructions ANYWHERE on how to add a song that is already in the iCloud to an exiting iCloud Playlist. SHOW ME HOW TO DO THAT AND THEN MAYBE I WON'T GET THE MESSAGE. This is discouraging me from making further iTunes purchases. C'MON APPLE, GET THIS FIXED OR GET THOSE MISLEADING ICLOUD COMMERCIALS OFF THE AIR before you get slapped with false advertising.

bibi3

macrumors newbie
May 19, 2012
problem iTunes playlist in the cloud

I have the same problem and need help,the massage is :"iCloud playlists can only contain songs from your iCloud music library." "If you continue,"playlist name" will be removed from iCloud and will only be available on this computer."
:mad:

xhansel

macrumors newbie
Jun 26, 2012
Worse...

I don't even have iTunes Match ON anymore! But I STILL get this message when adding to any playlists that, I suppose, were on my computer while I was using Match. Worse, I can hit "Remove Playlist and Continue" as many times as I want, and it still asks me, every time I add to it.

CrestoneCreate

macrumors newbie
Jul 29, 2012
workaround

I had this same problem. Here is my workaround

Let's say my original playlist was

Playlist

I made a new playlist

Playlist1

I put all from the old Playlist into Playlist1 + all the new purchases (the ones that caused iTunes to complain) into Playlist1

So now Playlist1 has all I want. No iTunes error message.

Delete Playlist
Rename Playlist1 to Playlist

Done. A bit of a hassle, but nothing lost & I get what I want.

My epistemological theory is that my old playlist format is somehow incompatible with new stuff like iTunes Match

SgtP3pp3r

macrumors member
Mar 29, 2011
Honduras
This is sort of an old thread, but i'll post what happened to me for other people with this problem.

I kept getting this error when i was trying to add a particular song to a playlist, and it turned out to be happening because it was a duplicate. What i mean is, i had two copies of this song (when this happens and you have iTunes Match, then one of the two gets labeled a duplicate and wont be uploaded to iCloud). Well, since i was trying to copy the song off from the "Recently Added" playlist the duplicate icon was not showing. As soon as i tried to copy it into the new playlist the error would pop up. The very simple work around for THIS case, was to drag over the one that was not labeled as a duplicate.

sstober

macrumors newbie
Sep 16, 2008
iTunes Match

I had the exact same problem as everyone here. When I downloaded tunes from the new iTunes store and tried to add them to my playlists, I'd get the message:"iCloud playlists can only contain songs from your iCloud music library."

I then looked into it and found that my iTunes Match on my MacBook was not turned on. When I did that and then turned on iTunes Match on my iPhone, iPod and iPad, everything synced up and now I'm able to add any tune to any playlist on the Mac, iPhone ...etc. and all is ok. Looks like iTunes 11 is demanding that you turn on iTunes Match.

Koosher

macrumors newbie
Feb 12, 2012
In iTune go to STORE and make sure your computer is still registered for iTunes match—the upgrade seems to have taken computers off of the registration. (What a joke. Wonder if this will cause problems with the number of devices that it recognizes, with regards to limits?)

bendhoward

macrumors newbie
Aug 29, 2010
YES! I feel like an idiot, but iTunes match has to be turned on to add a song to a playlist that used to sync with iCloud. If you don't care about iTunes match anymore, just allow the playlist to be removed from iCloud.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.