Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Icaras

macrumors 603
Mar 18, 2008
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A405 Safari/7534.48.3)

The people on here complaining about 0.7 mm increase in thickness are ridiculous. Do you know how small one millimetre is? You won't even notice the difference.

LOL, you're talking about Apple here. ;)

ipad-2-Keynote-041.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

nuckinfutz

macrumors 603
Jul 3, 2002
Middle Earth
A 4" screen on a phone is still too small by today's standards where almost all high-end phone now are 4.3" - 4.6". I'd love to see at LEAST a 4.3" screen on the next iPhone with less of a bezel.

Tony

And? Just because your competition is doing something doesn't mean that it makes sense. The iPhone can used one handed with average sized hands. 4.3 screens are much harder to use one handed.

Because you have Siri you may not need to look at the screen as much making the screen size of lesser importance. I think a 4" iPhone would be ideal.

If I wanted a tablet in my pocket i'd go with an Android masquerading as a phone.

hundleton1

macrumors 6502
Jul 29, 2008
Wales UK
i just don't get this bigger screen thing, i was in a phone shop on Saturday and the shelf was full of droid devices all 4" plus screens, i picked one up and instantly it was to big,it just felt wrong, i don't have a pocket that they would have gone in, a 4" iPod touch may work but not the phone.

Icaras

macrumors 603
Mar 18, 2008
A 4" screen on a phone is still too small by today's standards where almost all high-end phone now are 4.3" - 4.6". I'd love to see at LEAST a 4.3" screen on the next iPhone with less of a bezel.

Tony

Nah, I disagree. Keep the 3.5" and keep it simple.

BC2009

macrumors 68020
Jul 1, 2009
And? Just because your competition is doing something doesn't mean that it makes sense. The iPhone can used one handed with average sized hands. 4.3 screens are much harder to use one handed.

Because you have Siri you may not need to look at the screen as much making the screen size of lesser importance. I think a 4" iPhone would be ideal.

If I wanted a tablet in my pocket i'd go with an Android masquerading as a phone.

I would like a 4-inch screen even at the same resolution just to make some buttons bigger for thicker fingers. But I think Apple will only do a non-multiple resolution once they figure out the seamless non-fragmenting hardware scaling of screen with a pixel density so high that we can't tell they are scaling things.

ThatsMeRight

macrumors 68020
Sep 12, 2009
Too bad you all miss the point when talking about the issues of having a 3.5" handset and a 4" handset. The sixth generation iPhone will run on iOS 6, and I think there's a good possibility that iOS 6 will get a new GUI (because let's face it, the current GUI is getting old... I mean... 2007).

That would fix a lot of problems.

LOL, you're talking about Apple here. ;)

You are forgetting that especially Steve Jobs was obsessed with thinner devices. Now Tim Cook is in charge, and who knows what he likes...

FuNGi

macrumors 65816
Feb 26, 2010
California
0.7mm is so frickin' small that most people could never measure this difference without digital calipers = who cares.

I too am getting sick of that iphone mock-up. Just bring on the MBP redesign so I can begin coveting something :apple:.

goobot

macrumors 603
Jun 26, 2009
long island NY
They released the 4S 8 months after the 4 hit Verizon. If they were to get back on the June/July release schedule for iPhone next year that would put the cycle on that at 8/9 months.

In a world with 2 & 3 year wireless contracts, 3-4 months isn't that big of a deal.

That is a carrier, not phone. Apple could care less about that, they released the 4 on sprint the same day as the 4s.

Feltzem

macrumors regular
Sep 20, 2009
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPod; CPU iPhone OS 5_0 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Mobile/9A334)

I'm holding out for a 1920 x 1280 screen on the iP5 (2x resolution) :D
Maybe in a few years. Imagine a full HD screen on a phone!

Last edited:

needa

macrumors member
Sep 12, 2011
Nice to see someone take my post seriously. :rolleyes:

lol. i didnt even care to go back and see what the convo was. i guess the word 'wrong' meant i was serious. was more or less just a plug so peeps know where their money is going.

JHankwitz

macrumors 68000
Oct 31, 2005
Wisconsin
Thinner MBP only acceptable if it has Blu Ray.

What's with this constant Blu Ray request? Physical media is ancient history. Thumb drives have similar cost/GB than Blu Ray disks, can hold more data, are compatable with most every computer on the market, are rewritable, are faster, and more durable. Plus, you don't have to spend a fortune on a dick drive to record them.

----------

Keep hearing about the iPad 3 "higher resolution display" but will it be 2x?

That's the only thing that makes sense.

adildacoolset

macrumors 65816
Let me show you a centimetre ruler which has half-milimetre graduations. Trust me, its unnoticeable. But Jony Ive must have cried when the engineers told him that the design must be thickened. But 0.8MM for a retina display, and possibly even OLEDs are well worth it.

Rocketman

macrumors 603
Adding thickness to allow the additional battery requirement of the dual LED display system and the added overhead of 4G wireless, is the minimal compromise needed to make the product tolerable to use. It would be a welcome offering to have a version of the iPad3 with a substantially increased battery capacity so it operates for a "full day".

Rocketman

D.T.

macrumors G4
Sep 15, 2011
Vilano Beach, FL
You are forgetting that especially Steve Jobs was obsessed with thinner devices. Now Tim Cook is in charge, and who knows what he likes...

Yeah, if he's a chubby chaser, we'll see an iPad 3 that looks like a NYC phone book. :D

That's the only thing that makes sense.

re: doubling the H x V

Yeah, under the current OS, design, etc.

But 0.8MM for a retina display, and possibly even OLEDs are well worth it.

I agree 101%. Hell, Apple will even wind up spinning the size increase as trivial, I can see the ads with the "It's only .8mm thicker which you won't notice .. what you will notice is the stunning retina display" (etc).

I'm definitely a buyer if the display gets a big bump!

StealthGhost

macrumors regular
Oct 13, 2010
They better have a great heating issue fix if they're making their already hot Macbook Pros even thinner...

I'd like to buy an Ivy Bridge if they'd get a few issues I have with it fixed. Heat, 13 inch resolution, poor graphics performance (Ivy Bridge should fix this one). Could use some more battery life. I hope they're taking the CD drive out since they're making it thinner...Put in some more battery where the drive use to be.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.