Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

cerote

macrumors 6502a
Mar 2, 2009
Update to cross platform play: Works ok. Trying to host game from Mac with Windows player would crash after first turn for the Windows player. Windows player hosting it has only crashed once around turn 120ish. After crash was able to resume saved game fine. Currently at turn 200 with only one crash.

Thank you Aspyr.

Last edited:

EMKoper

macrumors regular
Dec 18, 2002
Orlando, FL
Civ V - Apple Store Campaign Version

What is the latest word on Civ 5 (non-Steam version) running on OS 10.7 Lion? Honestly, all these comments about the game "freezing" on a regular bases has made me pause and not purchase the game!

Anyone running on the following with success:
MacBookPro
2.7 Ghz i7
4 GB RAM
OS X Lion 10.7
Intel HD 3000 Graphics

Last edited:

Rob.G

macrumors 6502a
Jan 17, 2010
Arizona
I got Civ V from the App Store a few days ago and it's working great for me on Lion on my Feb 2011 MacBook Pro. It even plays well on my 11" Air. I did a six-hour session yesterday.

Which brings me to a question...

I recently conquered part of another civilization and took about 1/3 of their land and five cities (all of which I razed). I want to get more troops and settlers to it so I can build more cities and properly protect it. But the game won't let me. I get to the point that my Embarked troops (knights, minutemen, etc) and settlers can't get all the way there. I can get ships there, but ships (Triremes) don't go ashore. What am I doing wrong?

Thanks.

Rob

cerote

macrumors 6502a
Mar 2, 2009
What is the latest word on Civ 5 (non-Steam version) running on OS 10.7 Lion? Honestly, all these comments about the game "freezing" on a regular bases has made me pause and not purchase the game!

MacBookPro
2.7 Ghz i7
4 GB RAM
OS X Lion 10.7
Intel HD 3000 Graphics

Working fine on my iMac i5 on Lion. But I am using steam version.

MolsonExport

macrumors newbie
May 16, 2011
London, Ontario
back to good ol "Civilization 5 quit unexpectedly"

Except it was not unexpected for me. Almost every new game is utterly unplayable. What the fark is the point of these damned games if they fail just after you've spent hours advancing? And No, I don't generally play these games just to get super pissed off.

laserbeam273

macrumors 6502
Sep 7, 2010
Australia

MacBookPro
2.7 Ghz i7
4 GB RAM
OS X Lion 10.7
Intel HD 3000 Graphics

I'm using a MacBook Air 2011 with Intel HD 3000 graphics - this is the bottleneck for sure. It's pretty painful... smallest map possible, lowest graphics possible... not really worth it. At the beginning of games it's ok, but once everyone expands, it's rough.

If that's your only computer, I wouldn't buy it unless you're a very serious fan. I have played a few games on my MBA, but it's so far from what it should be graphics wise.

Even my iMac slows down heaps... man this game is a monster.

EDIT: I can't remember experiencing any crashes though.

littleman23408

macrumors 6502
Jun 18, 2009
I bought this game this weekend and was very excited to play it! But as I was installing it and registering it with Steam, i put in my activation code and it was already registered :mad:

I emailed 2k support hoping they can provide me with a new key! If not i'm going to try and return it from where i got it.

sucks

captjon

macrumors member
May 3, 2012
How does this play on the new iMac (late 2012)?

I've got an i7 with 680MX and tried it with maxed settings. The game told me it shouldn't be played with maxed settings because it would crash. It then crashed. I'm going to play around with the settings tonight to see what works well.

Grockel

macrumors member
Nov 13, 2012
Devon, UK
Let me know how you get on with Civ V - my i7, 680MX just arrived.

It's my first Mac and civilisation is my favourite game: Not sure whether to get
- Civ IV (complete edition), or
- Civ V

I just want to be sure whichever one I get will run without a hitch.

cerote

macrumors 6502a
Mar 2, 2009

It's my first Mac and civilisation is my favourite game: Not sure whether to get
- Civ V

To bad you just missed a deal a week or so ago on amazon to get all civ iv and civ v with gods and kings dlc for lower price than civ v alone.

MSM Hobbes

macrumors 6502
Aug 25, 2006
NE Hoosierana
To bad you just missed a deal a week or so ago on amazon to get all civ iv and civ v with gods and kings dlc for lower price than civ v alone.

Just bought Civ III, IV, and V GOTY's + few expansion packs for ~$30 from steam this past weekend too… 75% off deal, which I believe may be repeated on occasion? Haven't had chance to play yet… lol, heck, still gotta d/l the durn things! :eek: ;)

Jindra12

macrumors newbie
Jan 10, 2013

- Civ V

Hello,

I have i7, 680MX, and 16 GB Ram. I tried to set all the setting to its' max (Civ V) and it crashed. I had to scale it little down and it is playable with good video. I don't know why it is like that.

I think we should contact 2k to issue a new patch to fix this issue.

Eric

Cougarcat

macrumors 604
Sep 19, 2003
Hello,

I have i7, 680MX, and 16 GB Ram. I tried to set all the setting to its' max (Civ V) and it crashed. I had to scale it little down and it is playable with good video. I don't know why it is like that.

I think we should contact 2k to issue a new patch to fix this issue.

Eric

Contact Aspyr, 2k has nothing to do with the Mac port.

Speaking of which, it's been over two months and there's still no patch for Mac/PC multiplayer.

cerote

macrumors 6502a
Mar 2, 2009
Contact Aspyr, 2k has nothing to do with the Mac port.

Speaking of which, it's been over two months and there's still no patch for Mac/PC multiplayer.

That's why me and a buddy tried to turn off autoupdates on steam so we could use the patch that allowed us to cross-play. But alas steam is bugged and did the update anyway even though update was off.

Solomani

macrumors 601
Sep 25, 2012
Slapfish, North Carolina
Was about to add Civ V to my To-Buy-List for my new late-2012 iMac. Then I stumbled onto this thread, coming to the conclusion that this game still runs like a dog on MacOSX.

What a shame. Civ is an old and beloved game franchise, I remember playing it since Civ II (I think that's the one with the Elvis advisor guy and Norman Schwarzkopf look-alike).

omenatarhuri

macrumors 6502a
Feb 9, 2010
Was about to add Civ V to my To-Buy-List for my new late-2012 iMac. Then I stumbled onto this thread, coming to the conclusion that this game still runs like a dog on MacOSX.

What a shame. Civ is an old and beloved game franchise, I remember playing it since Civ II (I think that's the one with the Elvis advisor guy and Norman Schwarzkopf look-alike).
You can always install bootcamp and play in Windows for the better performance.

NunoBerny

macrumors regular
Feb 12, 2012
Lisbon, Portugal
I bought CIV IV recently (+ Beyond the Sword, Warlords and Colonization).

Was a huge fan of the original games (on the Amiga!), but I must say they are not nearly as playable as they were "back then".
There is something missing amidst all the pretty graphics.
Nothing wrong with the game, it's just not "it".

Played the original via DOSBox a couple of weeks ago and found it much more enjoyable. You have to forget about the dreadful and tiny gfx, but the gameplay is still spot on.

Renzatic

Suspended
I bought CIV IV recently (+ Beyond the Sword, Warlords and Colonization).

Was a huge fan of the original games (on the Amiga!), but I must say they are not nearly as playable as they were "back then".
There is something missing amidst all the pretty graphics.
Nothing wrong with the game, it's just not "it".

Eh. Don't feel bad. I'm one of those weird few who prefers Civ V to IV and the rest. At least you have an appreciation of one of the classics. Me? I'm practically a pariah among internet nerd.

Cougarcat

macrumors 604
Sep 19, 2003

If you have a late-2012 iMac, you'll be able to play it no problem. I played a late-game all morning on a 2010 MBP on low because I had a cat on my lap, and it was fine. Actually, a bit better than it used to be (a patch was just released yesterday.) Usually, I play it at 1920x1080 on high with an ATI 5850 without any issue.

Towelie1288

macrumors regular
Mar 1, 2012
Texas
civ 5 on iMac 27" late 2012 i7 680mx

i have the same error cant play game in max settings
i was playing the game in low settings for a couple hours and then crashed :(:(
maybe civ 5 doesnt support the new 680MX
i already emailed aspyer for support
i was playing native 2560x1440 and it ran well before crash but settings still on low
got the game hella cheap with all expansions on steam great deal but now cant play game on max settings
hope it resolved soon:(

Solomani

macrumors 601
Sep 25, 2012
Slapfish, North Carolina
680MX is one of the best video cards available on any iMac. I cannot believe that card is "not good enough" for a game like Civ5.

It could simply be that the 680 is just one of the newer video cards for Macs, and so Aspyr has not updated their games to be fully compatible with it.

Tho sometimes, it's actually Nvidia that does most of the compatibility "fixing" for many games. A good suggestion would be to email Aspyr, and also email Nvidia of the game incompatibility/crashes.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.