Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

thekb

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
May 8, 2010
My 32 GB iPod Touch reports that it has 28 GB filled with music (none of which shows up in the music app) and 22GB OVER capacity with Other.

When I uncheck 'Sync music', the music bar drops to zero and the 'other' then jumps to fill up the whole screen and still report 1.8 GB OVER capacity.

Clearly something is amiss here and it's not album artwork, email, system files or something like that. Something is corrupted in the file structure, right? I've tried restoring, but did not help. Do I have to reset everything and start from scratch or is there something else i can try?

Thetonyk123

macrumors 68000
Aug 14, 2011
Earth
first, clear out emails, calenders you don't need, reminders, also apps store documents and data.

If clearing out your device doesn't work, restore as new.

thekb

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
May 8, 2010
Thanks, Tony. That's what I eventually had to do. Nothing I tried would delete the 'Other' data from the iPod.

Thetonyk123

macrumors 68000
Aug 14, 2011
Earth
Thanks, Tony. That's what I eventually had to do. Nothing I tried would delete the 'Other' data from the iPod.

This happened to me when I got it, I had a bunch of emails with big attachments, so I had to delete them. I didn't have to though because I still had a lot of space. I just like a clean iPod.

krishanu

macrumors newbie
Jan 20, 2012
How to free up "other" space

In my iPod Touch 32 GB (4th gen upgraded to iOS5.0.1) , 4 GB of space was shown as extra . The following steps can be followed to get rid of it , they worked for me :

Go to Settings > Usage>Music .
tap edit and delete the music.
leave the device for a while .
Then connect to itunes . The "others" space should be freed . Sync once to sort out any discrepancies between the number of songs shown in your ipod and itunes.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.