Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

JackAxe

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jul 6, 2004
In a cup of orange juice.
To many requirement threads popping up, so I figured it would be cool to have a thread devoted to just playing the game and any enhancements.

First off, great game and the first Bethseda game I was able to get into fairly quickly; maybe I'll finish this one?

Here's a couple of things that helped me that others posted that would be good to share:

Easy fix for the mouse smoothing -- so onscreen mouse lag;
http://www.reddit.com/r/skyrim/comments/m7zja/tweaks_to_make_skyrim_that_much_better/

How to assign hotkeys for your items;
http://www.reddit.com/r/skyrim/comments/m8tnk/guide_how_to_use_18_hotkeys_for_items_and_spells/

There are also mods now that fix the blocky noses and chin, which bothered me during the character creation, but not during the game.

I've only played the game for 7 hours, but that was enough to hook me. So call me weird, but I like the Gladiator and Prince of Egypt influenced music I've been hearing so far, so bought the 4 disc soundtrack last night.

*rambles*

++++

Here's a link to all the books found in Skryim in an eBook format of your choice;
http://capane.us/2011/11/24/dovahkiin-gutenberg/

Thanks Cerote for pointing it out. :)

Last edited:

Suspended
Jan 18, 2005
http://www.pcgamer.com/2011/11/11/the-elder-scrolls-v-skyrim-tweaks-improve-graphics-disable-vsync-change-fov-and-more/ I found this link extremely useful! Changed my FOV (YES!), added self shadowing leaves (looks great like this) and deepened the water reflection effect. On ultra settings at 2560x1440 it's the horizons are just gorgeous! Things get a bit ugly up close though.

Love the game. I never really got into Bethesda's other games. I've got them all waiting to play but I can't play more than a couple of hours without giving up. Skyrim just seems to be easier to get into and more interesting.

JackAxe

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jul 6, 2004
I didn't know of self shadowing leaves. Thanks! Looks better! :)

I also set land shadows to 1.

I'm running it on my HD 30" (2560 x 1600) all maxed out. This console optimized game + my GTX 580 runs like butter. :) My screen's colors aren't as vibrate as yours and my darks are a bit bluish-gray, but overall it's an excellent screen for being about 5 years old. :O

milbournosphere

macrumors 6502a
Mar 3, 2009
San Diego, CA
I'm posting this here because I think it might be a glitch. Spoilers, so highlight the text below to see:

In Riften, has anybody been able to take the 'high' road and end the corruption in the town? I've been trolling forums looking for the answer, but I can't seem to find a way to start the quests to take down the corrupt family. Any help would be appreciated, but I think it might be a bug at this point because nobody else that I've talked to has been able to start the Riften 'good guy' quest line.

Any info is appreciated :)

JackAxe

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jul 6, 2004
I haven't made it to that quest yet, BUT I'll post back once I've got to it; given someone else hasn't already answered it.

I'm probably going to buy a strategy guide for this game, so will post sooner if it's helpful. I have so much to do, I find these guides -- although I view them as cheating -- really help me focus on the game and getting the most out of it while stil fitting into my project schedule; and for some games, it's the only way I get a book worth looking over.

+++

The difficulty of this game, which is an area I'm always critical of, has been both good and bad on Master mode. My biggest gripe, is that the AI needs to be smarter, especially when retaliating to my attack.

I found I can shoot someone with an arrow from a sneak position and they will not know from which direction the arrow came -- even when I'm not that far away; they should at least hear me to a degree if I'm close enough.

If anything, the 2cnd or 3rd arrow should be a dead give away. It was kind of sad watching an entire room of bad-guys run around like chickens trying to find me when it should have been obvious I was in hiding in the entrance.

lewdvig

macrumors 65816
Jan 1, 2002
South Pole
lvl 22 battle mage thief - this is the best game ever

do not read any story stuff because there are some spoilers that will ruin some amazing moments

Huntn

macrumors Core
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
Just ordered this bad boy today... I remember that I purchased an Oblivion strategy guide when I played it and it was very helpful for making sure I did not miss anything. Thinking about it for this game. Hmm.

JackAxe

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jul 6, 2004
@ lewdvig,

I'm only lvl 6. I've only invested in combat, but picking locks has been easy enough so far. :)

I've never read any of the story parts of the guides to be honest.

@ Huntn,
Cool. When will your game be in?

Suspended
Jan 18, 2005
I'm 9 hours in and yeap, it's totally sucked me in. Took a while though. At first (I haven't fully played Morrowind, Oblivion, Fallout 3 or NV) I was lost and just didn't care about the story.

I've only fought one dragon so far but it's completely got me engrossed. Not so much in the politics side of the story but the mythos and saving the world.

doh123

macrumors 65816
Dec 28, 2009
I've started playing some now... but I'm not on Windows, I've been using a hobbyist hacked Cider wrapper to play on OSX.

I'm running near max graphical settings at 1280x800 (I prefer lower resolutions gaming.. so sue me) on my Macbook Pro 17" with a 6750 1gb. It looks and runs beautiful... definitely do not need Windows for this, I haven't look up how to check frame rate, buts its running great and smooth and fluid, so I haven't worried about it. i think there are some major graphics issues, but thats just how the game is made (poorly) but there are some Mods out there now that make things look better (like ugly faces).

Its going to take me a while to get use to all the controls for sure... its very different then Oblivion. I also found the whole Intro sequence extremely confusing, I think they could have had more on screen help pop up explaining things.... Oblivions Intro/tutorial was done very good... this one is like... blah... The funniest part was when I got stuck reading a book for like 5 minutes... and finally found out to use the Tab key was the ONLY way to get out of it... thats when i finally learned the tab key is used a lot :)

But I do want to say... it does run great in OSX.

PoseidonMac

macrumors member
Nov 5, 2011
Hey all,

Been playing for a few days now and I am really liking this game. Working great in bootcamp mid-2010 MBP with high graphics. I do have a few questions, has anyone figured out the basics of leveling? Is it like Oblivion where I need to be careful and do efficient leveling so the bad guys dont get impossibly hard? Do the NPCs level up when I level up?

So far, each time I have leveled I get to increase one of the following: Magic, Health, or Stamina. I also get 1 point to put into a skill (Archery, Lock picking...etc.) Is it posible to get more then 1 point per level for skills? Cheers.

Also, thanks for the links at the beginning of this thread. I definitely used them and it made things much nicer. Mouse smoothing was annoying.

Ungibbed

macrumors 6502a
Dec 13, 2010
USA
I knew my late 2010 MacBook Pro really wouldn't handle Skyrim (13" model with Nvidia 320m) despite all the upgrades I've done.

I ended up just getting the game for my PS3 and have been loving every moment of it. Even on what is now considered an "old game console" compared to many PC's (even my Core 2 MacBook).

Skyrim is hands down one of the most beautiful games I have played to the point where you just pan around and take in the awesome technical leap over Oblivion.

I have yet to even reach level ten and I love the fact that NPC's don't scale in level with you making the game stale. I loved the first time I got my ass handed to me when I expected to win a battle as I did in Oblivion.

Now if only there was a way to get native 1080p...

Time to save up for a gaming rig that supports my 27" ACD :eek:

JackAxe

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jul 6, 2004
@ Dagless,

Same here about the politics and stuff, but now that I've made it further and things are starting to all come together, I'm starting to care more about what people are saying.

Have you enchanted an item yet?

@ Huntn,

Ahh. Well, if not for family or travels, the holidays are a good time to play games like this. :)

@ PoseidonMac,

I would also likes to know if we ever get more than one point? I'm only lvl 7, so has a longs way to go; hopefully.

And no problem. That mouse thing killed me. :D So I was gratefully for the various sites that posted a fix right away.

@ MasterTick,

I have a hard time stealing, or even taking things that might belong to someone that hasn't attacked me first. I take it this quest you mention is EVIL? :)

@ Ungibbed,

It doesn't take much money now days to build a rig that will do 1080p maxed. You might as well target a system that will handles your 27" 1440p maxed. :)

I've had my complaints about the difficulty, but I like that there are so many things that kill me and do so often. :) I also learned to read what I was attacking, so as I don't mistake it for another weaker foe -- this has lead to my death.

Oh, and I often find my self running from the large cats with huge fangs. :eek:

+++

And for the noobs, well me, make sure to check your character's Active Effects. I was diseased and didn't know it. :eek:

Lots of rambles, but I needs to say that playing this game on a Razer Naga ROCKS!!! I have my different hotkeys set for my shouts, weapons, and magic. With just my thumb, I can quickly switch to a dual handed healing spell( Helps when I'm running for my life! ), or back to my sword and any other combo of item!

Anyways, for the amount of different potions and enchants, and diseases, I'm definitely ordering the guide.

JackAxe

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jul 6, 2004
I killed the thread!!! :)

Hey, where are you guys storing your items? I still don't have enough to buy a place and had to hobble around for hours looking for a place to put my loot.

Is this safe, I put my stuff in a barrel in Faendal's(The Archer in Riverwood) house after I befriended him? I've gone back a few times to check and it's still there, both when he's been at home, and the time after breaking in to check.

I'm 30 hours into the game. :eek:

Suspended
Jan 18, 2005
10 hours in (maybe a bit more) and I still don't know how to fight dragons. Only fought two so far and thankfully my companions destroyed them, with me using Flame and Healing, then hiding as my MP recovered.

I'm guessing swords aren't a good idea?

Alaerian

Jan 6, 2005
A barstool, Innis & Gunn in hand
With all the hooha about Skyrim floating about, I decided to try and give Oblivion another go.

I just ... hate it.

I can't make myself like Oblivion. I've tried. I hate the open world. I hate the terrible voice acting. I hate the story. I hate the faces that look like play-dough. I hate the combat. I hate the inventory. I double-hate the map.

I wish I could like Oblivion, because I've heard nothing but rave reviews about Skyrim from friends. They've encouraged me to keep trying at Oblivion to see if I can't find the "spark."

Any tips, suggestions? I find myself coming back to the "I like Mass Effect" argument quite frequently - combat, cutscenes, voice acting, and the "linear" open world.

gman901

macrumors 6502a
Sep 1, 2007
Houston, TX
With all the hooha about Skyrim floating about, I decided to try and give Oblivion another go.

I just ... hate it.

I can't make myself like Oblivion. I've tried. I hate the open world. I hate the terrible voice acting. I hate the story. I hate the faces that look like play-dough. I hate the combat. I hate the inventory. I double-hate the map.

I wish I could like Oblivion, because I've heard nothing but rave reviews about Skyrim from friends. They've encouraged me to keep trying at Oblivion to see if I can't find the "spark."

Any tips, suggestions? I find myself coming back to the "I like Mass Effect" argument quite frequently - combat, cutscenes, voice acting, and the "linear" open world.

My tip- delete Oblivion. Install Skyrim.

Ungibbed

macrumors 6502a
Dec 13, 2010
USA

I just ... hate it.

Skyrim truly feels like an entirely different game than Oblivion. Leveling is different along with character development. When it comes to the NPC's, they are more "alive", they note your presence and have routines that are random instead of just standing there to meet you.

Really, give Skyrim a shot. Not only is it beautiful to look at, the entire world feels "alive", from hunting game for leathercraft to even playing tag with the children.

Suspended
Jan 18, 2005

I just ... hate it.

I keep trying to like Oblivion, Bioshock and a few other big releases from that era and I can't get into them either.
Skyrim has a much stronger direction. I've already thrown 10 hours into Skyrim and I haven't really pushed past 1 hour in Oblivion. They feel similar, but theres an extra layer on Skyrim that keeps me playing.

PoseidonMac

macrumors member
Nov 5, 2011
Hey,

@Jackaxe: Yea I was having the same issue and I decided to put all my stuff in a particular chest in the Jorrvaskr base of the Companions in Whiterun, it was easy to just go there and dump anything I didnt need but wanted to keep. I did save money and eventually bought the house, (it is called Breezehome, took me forever to find it, second or third house on your right when you walk into Whiterun) it is nice and I also bought all the upgrades. So I have a personal alchemy lab and stuff. Now I store things in chests and whatnot depending on type of item (ingredient, food, apparel...) and find that way easier to keep track of what I have, especially ingredients.

Question for you... How do I check my active effects, cant seem to find it and would like to know my ailments.

@Dagless: I always use my bow, but that is my standard weapon anyway because I am a wood elf. But I would think dragons are harder for sword/axe barriers because I find it hard to get up close and personal with something that can cook me.

@Alaerian: I agree with you, I never liked Oblivion and could never get into it. But as others have said Skyrim is different. One thing I love about it is the leveling style, it is nothing like Oblivion which I hated.

---

Just to follow up on my previous question, has anyone achieved more then 1 point to put into skills during a single level up??

ARF900

macrumors 65816
Oct 30, 2009
Really into this game. Started off slow but now im hooked. This is my first elder scrolls game but im not completely lost because ive played the fallouts and there are a lot of similarities. The game is simply breathtaking.

Alaerian

Jan 6, 2005
A barstool, Innis & Gunn in hand
Perhaps I'll give it a go, but later. There's not a chance I'm throwing $50 down on a gamble where the odds are stacked against me liking Skyrim.

As far my share of Oblivion, I think I'm a done Tom Turkey. I can't ever see myself finishing it. Glad I got it when it was hella cheap.

cluthz

macrumors 68040
Jun 15, 2004
Norway
I hated Oblivion too, tried to get into it, but no.

SKyrim feels much better, I've played 12 hours now and I like it.
Been doing tons of crafting today, used 2 hours on deer hunting for leather :D

Skyrim very much feels like Gothic 3 so far although the factions aren't showing too much about them self yet.

As a few mentioned earlier, AI is a bit weak, but I hope they will improve it.
Bethesda announced they'll come with a patch on thanksgiving, hopefully it fixes AI a bit and UI as well. And some bugs. I can't run with shadows on high, because it makes me crash to desktop, several others are mentioning the same. Except for that it runs very well at ultra settings!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.