Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

scirica

macrumors 68020
Original poster
May 13, 2008
Dallas, TX
Is there at least a way to NOT have to upgrade in order to use the app? Can the forced upgrade be hacked out?

I hope so...that really pisses me off. What do they really think they are protecting them/us from by blocking jailbroken ipads?? It's a free app that requires a directive login to work. I don't understand the logic.

thewitt

macrumors 68020
Sep 13, 2011
The syndicated content publishers are requiring this now so that content ca not be stolen or redirected.

We have several contracts requiring the same thing which means we must disable the app on jail broken devices.

scirica

macrumors 68020
Original poster
May 13, 2008
Dallas, TX
The syndicated content publishers are requiring this now so that content ca not be stolen or redirected.

We have several contracts requiring the same thing which means we must disable the app on jail broken devices.

I'm still not buying it. I haven't altered the application in any way other than to get it to work as designed when Directv put a block on my ability to watch content on my iPad. My iPad isn't jailbroken in order to steal or redistribute licensed content...only to install some features which make the UI more user-friendly.

Let the cat and mouse game begin...I'm hoping for a resolution that doesn't force me to drop my Directv account.

RetiredInFl

macrumors 68020
Jul 7, 2008
FORMERLY NJ now FL
At the very least they should disable the streaming part if the device is jail broken so we can at least use the app for setting recordings and other features. I'm sure that wouldn't be such a difficult programming feat. full lockout is overkill.

scirica

macrumors 68020
Original poster
May 13, 2008
Dallas, TX
At the very least they should disable the streaming part if the device is jail broken so we can at least use the app for setting recordings and other features. I'm sure that wouldn't be such a difficult programming feat. full lockout is overkill.

Agree 100%

thewitt

macrumors 68020
Sep 13, 2011
My iPad isn't jailbroken in order to steal or redistribute licensed content...only to install some features which make the UI more user-friendly.

Like they should be able to tell that?

It's not DirectTVs fault. They are simply caught in the middle here.

philip in al

macrumors regular
Jun 23, 2010
Has anyone thought to try this app and see if it fixes the issue? It is a free app and has a 7 day trial.

Hotspot Shield VPN
AnchorFree Inc
Category: Utilities
Updated: Oct 28, 2011
85 Ratings

thewitt

macrumors 68020
Sep 13, 2011
You want DirectTV to only disable a portion of their app on jail broken devices, I suggest you contact them and request support....

scirica

macrumors 68020
Original poster
May 13, 2008
Dallas, TX
You want DirectTV to only disable a portion of their app on jail broken devices, I suggest you contact them and request support....

No, I want Directv to pull their collective heads out of their collective arses. And the content providers for that matter too.

Cypherstream

macrumors newbie
Nov 20, 2011
First... Express your displeasure to DirecTV by sending them an email off of the contact us link on their website.

Second... I don't see what the big deal is with blocking a jail broken device. Did you notice that HBO, Cinemax and Netflix all work on a jail broken device? Well they do work fine, and the content in those apps is more valuable (and commercial free). DirecTV just offers a handful of commercial-laden programming which is also secured behind your DirecTV.com username and password. I mean if they were really that paranoid, why block the entire app? I can't even set the DVR or look at the sports and guide pages anymore. A bit overkill, is it not?

Next... I've already tried tricking the app into thinking it's updated by editing the version number in the plist file. The app is smart enough that it says "invalid version number detected.". I'm not sure what the better solution is for right now. Try to hack it in a way that it always thinks 1.3.4 is up to date... Or try to foil the jailbreak detection for 1.3.5. Thing is, the second option will just keep an endless game of cat and mouse going.

Though look at the potential of this issue. What if Apple starts requiring ALL apps to do JB detection? What if a future IOS update does JB detection and locks you out of your iDevice? Maybe the better solution is a systemwide driver that intercepts JB detection globally. Sort of like a MobileSubstrate update or maybe a low level change in the actual jailbreak used. It would be smarter to cut this one off at the trunk rather than band-aids for each single app (time Warner, cablevision, Fios, lovefilm, brighthouse, etc).

scirica

macrumors 68020
Original poster
May 13, 2008
Dallas, TX
I Caved!

Went ahead and upgraded to 5.0.1. Phone is going to stay jailbroken but iPad is great on base code.

RetiredInFl

macrumors 68020
Jul 7, 2008
FORMERLY NJ now FL
If you "just got it" it will cost you a lot to dump it. Up to $480, $20/month term fee for every month not used in your 2 year contract.

Still in my first 30 days.

30 days? Where did you get that from? I worked for them for 3+ years and it always was 24 hours and then your locked in and they will even fight you on the 24 hours. The only way out is to send them your ashes and a copy of your death certificate or pay up! :eek:

thewitt

macrumors 68020
Sep 13, 2011

Second... I don't see what the big deal is with blocking a jail broken device. Did you notice that HBO, Cinemax and Netflix all work on a jail broken device? Well they do work fine, and the content in those apps is more valuable (and commercial free).

It's coming. We have been getting regular requests from our customers whose apps deliver syndicated content, and now lock out jb devices. Two customers have yet to contact us, but we expect it will come soon.

shenan1982

macrumors 68040
Nov 23, 2011
Any update on this new version? I just signed up for directv today, really want to use the app but if it's jailbreak or use directv app, I'm staying Jb'd lol

shenan1982

macrumors 68040
Nov 23, 2011
So I see the xCon from n00neimp0rtant is updated showing confirmed to disable the directv jailbreak detection, but I don't know how to use it:

/Layout/
Makefile
README
Tweak.xm
xCon.deb

How do I use this on conjunction with the DIRECTV app?

BrianJB

macrumors newbie
Nov 27, 2011
Ok everyone, I know that NOONE will believe me. But I *WAS* able to get the current updated version to work. I have the original ipad.

Don't ask me how I did it, because I messed with the strings and keys for about 4 hours last night. I finally gave up and fell asleep. This morning I got up downloaded and installed the directv (iphone app) onto my ipad. Got that all loaded up just so I could at least set recordings and what not. Well I go to check the directv ipad app and it loads right away, but it was weird because I didn't have to login, it just skipped past the login screen, so I wonder if it had something to do with my having the iphone app installed and running on the ipad?

I couldn't believe it, I watched nfl network for about 10mins, then I shut down the app and it asked me to login again and it detected that I was jailbroken. So it was almost like it used a good login from iphone app and applied it to the ipad app.

But I haven't been able to get it to work again, but my wife has been nagging me so I haven't been able to concentrate on it. I am going to try again later tonight to see what I can figure out, but I am VERY inexperienced when it comes to editing keys/strings, so I'm not sure.
Maybe someone can pick up on the iphone/ipad app correlation?

I know most won't believe me, but honestly what good what it do for me to randomly join a forum and post all of this.

I will update any progress I make.

Any help would be appreciated!

Thanks guys!

shenan1982

macrumors 68040
Nov 23, 2011
Ok everyone, I know that NOONE will believe me. But I *WAS* able to get the current updated version to work. I have the original ipad.

Don't ask me how I did it, because I messed with the strings and keys for about 4 hours last night. I finally gave up and fell asleep. This morning I got up downloaded and installed the directv (iphone app) onto my ipad. Got that all loaded up just so I could at least set recordings and what not. Well I go to check the directv ipad app and it loads right away, but it was weird because I didn't have to login, it just skipped past the login screen, so I wonder if it had something to do with my having the iphone app installed and running on the ipad?

I couldn't believe it, I watched nfl network for about 10mins, then I shut down the app and it asked me to login again and it detected that I was jailbroken. So it was almost like it used a good login from iphone app and applied it to the ipad app.

But I haven't been able to get it to work again, but my wife has been nagging me so I haven't been able to concentrate on it. I am going to try again later tonight to see what I can figure out, but I am VERY inexperienced when it comes to editing keys/strings, so I'm not sure.
Maybe someone can pick up on the iphone/ipad app correlation?

I know most won't believe me, but honestly what good what it do for me to randomly join a forum and post all of this.

I will update any progress I make.

Any help would be appreciated!

Thanks guys!

I definitely believe you that you got the iPhone app to work on the iPad.... it likely doesn't check the same way as the iPad app ... not sure why it's a big deal though, since most people in this thread are discussing the iPad app, lol.

Like I posted, the xCon fix is out, but I don't know how to use it, so I'm waiting to hear from someone who knows how to use it so we can all have our DTV app.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.