Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Arcadia310

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 16, 2010
Let me start off by saying the iPhone 4S is my first ever iPhone. I'm relatively new to iOS (I have owned an iPad 2 since launch day, however) and have spent the past 2 years on Android.

I've been using the iPhone 4S as my daily driver since launch day and it's been a good experience! Battery life is superb, the screen is gorgeous, and the OS is really fluid. However, during this past week things have started to get dull. I feel that overall iOS lacks creativity. It's just pages of colorful icons on a small screen. Sure, when it first came out in 2007 it was revolutionary, but it's been 4 years and it looks almost exactly the same! Apple is one of my favorite companies but I truly feel that they are resting on their laurels, just like RIM and other companies have before they went down hill. So far Apple has done great with this two year upgrade scheme with the iPhone. But companies like Samsung and Motorola are upgrading their technology dramatically each year. The Galaxy S II has been out since March and rivals the iPhone 4S in most areas, imagine what the Galaxy S III will bring! The 3.5 inch screen on the iPhone 4S really bothers me, it's just so small! 4 inches is definitely the sweet spot.

I'm not a fanboy of anything. Android has a lot of faults (although 4.0 is a HUGE improvement) and so does iOS. I just love technology, period. As the biggest tech company in the world, and nearly the biggest company period, I expect more out of Apple. They released the exact same phone with a dual core processor, improved cameras, Siri, and called it a wrap. I personally know a lot of long time iPhone users who are now checking out Android and other OS's because their iPhone just feels boring to them.

I think a major reason why I find iOS stale already is because of Ice Cream Sandwich. I have been a long time Android user but overall the OS just pissed me off, especially stock Android on the Nexus S. The damn thing was just so laggy and buggy it was almost unusable. However, Google fixed nearly EVERYTHING wrong with Android in one update. The UI, performance, apps etc. have all been improved immensely in a single update. I'm actually very surprised Google pulled it off, I really had no faith that 4.0 would be that big of an upgrade. It takes Apple years just to change or improve the simplest things. Most of the stock apps on the iPhone are identical or nearly identical to how they were back in 2007. It's ridiculous! Don't even get me started on how bad the YouTube and Maps apps are. A lot of the Google Apps on Android get major updates several times per year.

If Apple doesn't bring the heat with iOS 6 and the iPhone 5, I truly believe the company will be headed down hill. Google is innovating at an alarming rate and Ice Cream Sandwich opens up an entirely new gateway of possibilities. NFC is going to take off in these next 2 years and Apple has no answer for it. These are just the honest opinions from a tech fanatic.

SilentLoner

macrumors 65816
Dec 29, 2007
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A405 Safari/7534.48.3)

I'm not being funny but if you look to a phone to "bring it" everytime you use it you will always be looking. Android/iOS that won't change.

SilentLoner

macrumors 65816
Dec 29, 2007
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A405 Safari/7534.48.3)

Oh and you knew the screen size before you bought it?

And how do you know about ICS? You got a gsm model?

vitzr

macrumors 68030
Jul 28, 2011
California
Apple has exceptional skills in many areas. One of which is milking a model for all it's worth before adding features that are already present in the competition. They know exactly how much their customers will let them get away with.

An example is how the first iPhone was shipped as an EDGE device when every other smartphone at that time had 3G.

Now a full two generations behind, they are still pushing the tiny 3.5" display. Not only is that the smallest of any but they've got their followers convinced it's the perfect size. If other manufacturers also had cult like followers that would defend their companies position like Apple does, the playing field would be level.

Apple is in a very unique position. It's as though they can do no wrong.

salacious

macrumors 6502a
May 15, 2011
I own a 4s and a early 2011 Mbp, people say why pay so much for something so little, well the answer is simple if your a developer of any kind then macs and iPhones are the bomb, technically they are overpriced but crafted and thought of beautifully the os on both models have never failed me, at work I'm an IT technician let me tell you the amount of problems we have with windows computers and mobiles as well as blackberrys is appalling, we have had macs for 2 years only one out of 57 roughly has ever had a problem due to hard drive dying out, remember its not what you got its what you do with it and for me I make music, videos, graphics all sorts it does it very well, maybe your looking for something that will entertain you well any phone will eventually bore you that's why we buy new ones why dont you get a hobby or something look for a app that lets you create you won't be bored then

You are right about NFC though if that's not in by 2 years apple will face major problems, but then Palme television is coming whole new ball game

Blaine

macrumors 6502a
Dec 3, 2007
Abilene TX
Well rumors are saying the 5 may come out as soon as this upcoming summer. Maybe you won't have to be "bored" of the 4s for long.

lionqueen

macrumors 6502
Aug 30, 2009
The language some people use to describe Apple users is really irritating (Not to mention ridiculous) sometimes. "Got their followers convinced" it's the sweet spot? Funny how you don't describe Android as "having their followers convinced" that 4.0 is the sweet spot - no, in that case it's just users genuine feelings, right? But in the case of Apple users, Apple's somehow hoodwinked us into liking our 3.5 screens :rolleyes: I wonder if you even hear yourself?

I like 3.5. To me, it's pretty much the perfect size. I've handled 4.0 and higher screens on friend's phones - 4.0 is the biggest I can take, higher feels stupid big. I wouldn't mind a 4.0 iPhone, but I upgraded to the 4S from the 4 and I'm finding the 3.5 is still good for me.

As for Apple starting with Edge when others were at 3G, I believe that was because 3G was a battery hog at first. Apple didn't want to use it til the tech caught up - I think that's probly the reason they haven't introduced "4G" yet - it's a battery killer. There's :::nothing wrong with that:::. Nothing wrong with not wanting to introduce a technology if they feel overall it's going to lessen the performance of the phone. It doesn't matter if you CAN do it, technically. Sometimes it matters more what doing it is going to do to the rest of the device.

It's not like they're lying to people that their phones have certain features - you know what you're getting when you buy your iPhone. No one's got a gun to your head making you go buy a 3.5 inch screen phone that runs on 3G and has no NFC. Funnily enough, ppl still go buy them in droves.

And I'm an Apple fan, but I'm no fangirl. I have an iPod, iPhone and iPad, but I really dislike their computers. I love my PC and will always stick with PCs - they just work, for me. But I have a mind of my own, and no company has "convinced" me of anything, thanks :)

mac jones

macrumors 68040
Apr 6, 2006
I don't get it. Android is such a blatant rip-off that it's AMAZING the entire thing isn't banned as a patent infringement.

pretty soon they will be saying (or maybe they are already? ) That Google is the true innovator, and Apple stole from them.

And anyway, we thought Apple came up with lame names, but these guys are really on a roll

Zxxv

macrumors 68040
Nov 13, 2011
UK
Ice Cream Sandwich

I Copied Steve?

I copied steves work?

I cloned steves work?

Who knows. But it's the way of the world. Someone gives somethn to mankind. Another improves upon in. Inventor bitches. Rinse and repeat

daneoni

macrumors G4
Mar 24, 2006
Then return it/sell it and buy a Galaxy or Droid something.

My phone is boring

#FirstWorldProblems

Last edited:

paulcdb

macrumors regular
Jan 24, 2009
if apple brings out a 4" screen then it'll be the point I stop buying mobiles.

3.5" and I can use it with 1 hand... anything bigger and I wouldn't be able to and I've got really long fingers, but if I want a bigger screen, I'll use the ipad.

aleni

macrumors 68030
Jun 2, 2006
When u get android phones and get to play withe the customization and widgets, it gets boring too. I use my iPhone 4S for its functionality which i think versy superior than android phones, especially polished apps are no where to be found on the android market. Even the "speedtest" app is so much better and smoother animation on the iOS version.

Everything gets boring once u're using it long enough, but the functionality is forever.

Total Respray

macrumors regular
Nov 16, 2011
Much of what the OP says would have been evident before buying the phone.

However, the OP is correct in saying that Apple do take too long to get round to basic things (if at all) which you don't notice until you use the phone. For instance, no 'silent' icon, no missed call notification, no message noise suppression during calls, etc are all basic things I would expect from any phone, but which Apple have not seen fit to include - despite feedback from iOS4.

nfl46

macrumors G3
Oct 5, 2008
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A334 Safari/7534.48.3)

I think you spend too much time on your phone. Maybe you should wait until the jailbreak is released to customize the phone. Sure, Android, is customizable right out the box, but it only takes 10 seconds or so to jailbreak. However, if you don't want to wait, then switch to an Android device. As for your comment about Apple going downhill, don't count on it. 4 million first week this year, it'd probably be 5 million next year.

Ryan1524

macrumors 68020
Apr 9, 2003
Canada GTA
No silent icon? You have an even better indicator then that, the button. A quick feel or glance and you'll know for sure what mode it's on, regardless of what you're doing on the device.

:confused:

SR45

macrumors 65832
Aug 17, 2011
Florida
I bought a phone to make calls, email if necessary, camera and GPS. Every thing else I have a Computer/Xbox 360 for. This is not a toy for me, so I will never get bored with it. :D ;)

Good luck with what ever you get later on.....

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.