Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

davidlv

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Apr 5, 2009
Kyoto, Japan
Thinking about buying a base model mini. Just tried a hand-me down monitor (19" wide screen Gateway, DVI port, 1440x900) connected to my MBP via a Mini Display port adapter (Apple) and got a very out-of sync screen that turns off quickly - goes black. Resolved by using another cable!
The real question is will this monitor work with the Mini at that low resolution (the highest the monitor can do)?
I don't need to connect it to MBP really, just wanted to test the DVI adapter.
Any ideas?

Last edited:

warvanov

macrumors 6502a
Oct 13, 2011
I have no idea what might be causing the monitor to flip out when connected to the MBP. I don't think that the resolution should be a problem, but did you try changing the resolution to something else supported by the monitor?

There's a good chance it will do the same thing connected to a new Mac mini the same way. You might have better luck with HDMI to DVI than with MDP to DVI but that's about all I can suggest.

davidlv

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Apr 5, 2009
Kyoto, Japan
I have no idea what might be causing the monitor to flip out when connected to the MBP. I don't think that the resolution should be a problem, but did you try changing the resolution to something else supported by the monitor?

There's a good chance it will do the same thing connected to a new Mac mini the same way. You might have better luck with HDMI to DVI than with MDP to DVI but that's about all I can suggest.

Thanks for the reply. Resolved the issue with a new cable.:D

frank4

macrumors regular
Oct 17, 2011
I'm using a new base mini with an old 22" 1680x1050 monitor, one thing I didn't expect and find annoying is the text fonts look too big in most apps. I frequently do "command -" to reduce fonts in Safari, there appears no way around this.

I'm coming to the conclusion that at 22" size a resolution at least 1920x1080 is better. 19" 1440x900 may or may not be OK, that's the same pixel res as the 15" MBP.

If you need to buy a new monitor to go with a base mini then the 21.5" iMac becomes more of an alternative.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.