Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

SHADO

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 14, 2008
Beach
I recently downloaded and installed Office 2011 and I was wondering if anybody knew of a way to change the background color from grey to anything you want. In 2008, there was a file in the Contents-->Resources folder called "Page Layout View Background Rest" that you could replace with any image and the background would change (by 'background', I mean the actual grey color on each side of the word document, not the background of the document itself). Below is my Word 2008 appearance, which I would very much like to replicate for 2011.

Attachments

• Screen shot 2010-11-25 at 9.28.28 PM     11-25-10.png
    Screen shot 2010-11-25 at 9.28.28 PM 11-25-10.png
    1.1 MB · Views: 4,834

pats-madin

macrumors newbie
Dec 29, 2007
In full screen mode you can change the black background. Don't think you can cutsomize it though... As far as the grey background in print layout mode I dont know how you can change that...

SHADO

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 14, 2008
Beach
In full screen mode you can change the black background. Don't think you can cutsomize it though... As far as the grey background in print layout mode I dont know how you can change that...

Thanks but I'm looking to change the grey background...

Gomur

macrumors newbie
Dec 26, 2010
Just wondering if we ever got an answer to this question. I'm a writer and editor that just switched to Mac, and thus far I'm loving every second of it except for trying to read documents in Print Layout View in Office 2011. That gray is just hard as heck on the eyes. I want to switch it back to something like the cool blue of the Windows version.

I see there's a drop-down list to change the background in Full Screen (which, by the way is a huge improvement over the Windows version of Office I was using), and I see a place where it looks like you can manage add-ons and plugins for Word and Office, but I don't see anything that will let you change this color. Are there any plugins that will do it?

For reading and editing I use mostly Full Screen, but I also spend a lot of time manipulating layout and document components to see what formatting changes will look like on the page and that lifeless gray on an LED backlit screen with black and white text in front of it feels like scraping my eyes over razor blades.

SHADO

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 14, 2008
Beach
Just wondering if we ever got an answer to this question. I'm a writer and editor that just switched to Mac, and thus far I'm loving every second of it except for trying to read documents in Print Layout View in Office 2011. That gray is just hard as heck on the eyes. I want to switch it back to something like the cool blue of the Windows version.

I see there's a drop-down list to change the background in Full Screen (which, by the way is a huge improvement over the Windows version of Office I was using), and I see a place where it looks like you can manage add-ons and plugins for Word and Office, but I don't see anything that will let you change this color. Are there any plugins that will do it?

For reading and editing I use mostly Full Screen, but I also spend a lot of time manipulating layout and document components to see what formatting changes will look like on the page and that lifeless gray on an LED backlit screen with black and white text in front of it feels like scraping my eyes over razor blades.

Haha yea I feel you man. I haven't found out a way to change the grey yet, but you can change the white text area to blue via Preferences-->General. I think the option is "White text on blue background" or something like that. As for the plugins, where did you find that option? There may be a plugin that does this.

Gomur

macrumors newbie
Dec 26, 2010
It's under Tools --> Templates & Add-Ins. I've never heard of people extensively using plugin mods for Word, but I know customizability is a major selling point for it, so I thought this might be a clue.

SHADO

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 14, 2008
Beach
It's under Tools --> Templates & Add-Ins. I've never heard of people extensively using plugin mods for Word, but I know customizability is a major selling point for it, so I thought this might be a clue.

I checked it out and it's more for changing the style of the document rather than the application unfortunately. Changing the grey background is a matter of modifying files, it's just a matter of finding the right one in the Resources folder of Show Package Contents.

mlh6040

macrumors newbie
Dec 28, 2010
Please let me know if you discover how to change the gray color of the background/ side panels. I would very much like to change mine as well.

Andrew K.

macrumors 65816
Jul 9, 2008
I have 2008 but I can't find the contents>resources folder you're talking about. Can you help?

tiriya

macrumors newbie
Feb 22, 2011
@Andrew K. :

Here is what you need to do to change the background in Word 2008:

Go to Microsoft Word.app
right click and choose "show package contents"
click "contents" and then "resources"

Now, the two relevant files are there: 1. Page Layout View Background Rest
2. Page Layout View Background Top

Change the contents of these files with images you choose. (if they do not work, pay attention to the pixel size of the original files and adjust your chosen images accordingly [using e.g. Preview]).

That's it for 2008.

----

But for Word 2011: I have tried a lot to find the relevant files to change the background, but to no avail. So, I second Shado's question... anyone?

Last edited:

tiriya

macrumors newbie
Feb 22, 2011
Me again:

In case any one considers that: It seems you can do the same for Power Point (just choose the slide background png files in contents> resources) in both the 2008 and 2011 versions of PowerPoint.

--Still no progress in Word 2011 though.

(the relevant files might be in contents> resources again: in the file with the name: DocWindowImages.bin. But I could not find a way to open the .bin file so as to reach the images in there)

Andrew K.

macrumors 65816
Jul 9, 2008
@Andrew K. :

Here is what you need to do to change the background in Word 2008:

Go to Microsoft Word.app
right click and choose "show package contents"
click "contents" and then "resources"

Now, the two relevant files are there: 1. Page Layout View Background Rest
2. Page Layout View Background Top

Change the contents of these files with images you choose. (if they do not work, pay attention to the pixel size of the original files and adjust your chosen images accordingly [using e.g. Preview]).

That's it for 2008.

----

But for Word 2011: I have tried a lot to find the relevant files to change the background, but to no avail. So, I second Shado's question... anyone?

Great thanks! Good luck still on 2011

tmhopper

macrumors newbie
Aug 28, 2011
This is what i have found

I wish i could have more options

go to word drop down menu next to file
then click on pref
then click on general
then click blue background white text

7funky7

macrumors newbie
Nov 21, 2011
Is this what you are looking for?

I attached a screenshot from my word

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2011-11-21 at 8.27.35 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2011-11-21 at 8.27.35 PM.png
    123.9 KB · Views: 1,489

moofe1

macrumors newbie
Feb 23, 2012
Replacing png with image?

Hi,
Can anyone help me by telling me how exactly to replace a png file with an image? I'm trying to change the grey background in Word 2008 for Mac. I've accessed the contents->resource files and then I drew a blank. I've tried renaming the image I want to use as Page Layout View Background Rest with png extensions and that leaves me with a blank white background. I can't really think of any other way to replace these with the desired image (and I clearly have no sort of programming or computer background!) Any help would be greatly appreciated, that grey is driving me crazy!

tiriya

macrumors newbie
Feb 22, 2011
I forgot about this thread...
moofe1, if you have not found the solution in the mean time, see above: it's there...

As for MW 2011, the solution is most probably changing the DocWindowImages.bin file under "Resources" in "Package Contents" for Word.

This can be modified with Hex editors. I tried to change some values without any knowledge of hex editing, and indeed noticed tiny changes on the page background... Now, someone skilled in hex editing can probably provide the solution easily...

(see the last post here as an example: http://www.msfn.org/board/topic/112474-can-anyone-help-me-editing-setupldrbin-in-order-to-change-a-color/ )

Last edited:

zoowalk

macrumors newbie
Aug 17, 2012
any solution by now?

Did you actually find a solution to this? Would be great to change the grey. Many thanks!

tiriya

macrumors newbie
Feb 22, 2011
Me? Nope, sorry. All I could "accomplish" was turning everything into white :) This needs someone with "hex editing" skills...

tiredof

macrumors newbie
Feb 3, 2012
Background Color for Word 2011

The only place I know to change the background color is in the Layout Ribbon. s/b the second tab. Then background on the right, click the down arrow to choose and choose more colors (if you want a greater selection) from your color pallets.

I chose the color wheel. The magnifying glass allows you to choose what ever color that you have on your screen. I imagine the other pallets work similar.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.