Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

flickr.png

Apple's newly launched iPhone 4S has quickly shot up to become the second most popular Cameraphone on Flickr.com. Flickr's Camera Finder page shows graphs of the popularity of both smartphones and Point and Shoot cameras.

The iPhone 4S has beaten out the iPhone 3G, iPhone 3GS, and HTC EVO 4G, but still lags behind the original iPhone 4. The iPhone made headlines in 2009 when it became the most popular camera on Flickr, even beating out all dedicated non-smartphone cameras. The iPhone 4S still has a ways to go before dethroning the iPhone 4, which remains the most popular overall camera on Flickr.

The iPhone 4S introduced a number of significant improvements to its camera, drawing praise from many. Arstechnica recently posted a comparison pitting the iPhone 4S camera against several others, and found the 4S with competitive image quality and the advantage of convenience.

Thanks @rogerdodgerTM

Article Link: iPhone 4S Becomes Second Most Popular Cameraphone on Flickr

Diamondaine

macrumors newbie
Feb 1, 2011
"The iPhone 4 made headlines in 2009 when it became" - Interesting i didn't know that the iPhone 4 was realeased in 2009, I always thought that was the iPhone 3Gs...

Just kidding ;), just correct it to 2010...

PPFee

macrumors 6502
Feb 27, 2011
Hey just wanted to point out that the iPhone in general made headlines in '09 not the iPhone 4 which wasn't released yet. Good article though thanks to the whole macrumors crew!

----------

One would hope a $650 DSLR's image quality would far exceed that of a camera on a phone. :)
My thought's exactly its a great camera, but that's not quite a fair comparison.

alphaod

macrumors Core
Feb 9, 2008
NYC
So it looks like a lot of the people who had an iPhone 3G have moved on to the iPhone 4 and 4S. 3GS looks pretty steady.

haruhiko

macrumors 604
Sep 29, 2009
Yeah, the iPhone 4S's camera is excellent, the one of the iPhone 4 is quite good, but....

iPhone 3G? :eek:

nagromme

macrumors G5
May 2, 2002
Too bad the quality of an SLR is nothing—literally, you can’t take any pictures with it at all—when you haven’t lugged it along with you :p

Feltzem

macrumors regular
Sep 20, 2009
Why is the Evo still so popular? (I would have thought something like the Droid or Galaxy S would be the most popular Android cameraphone)

anthonyjr

macrumors regular
Sep 27, 2007
I think it's prettying interesting watching the decline in the 3GS and the rise of the 4GS. Look who got new phones.

tylerk36

macrumors member
Feb 22, 2009
To bad the quality is nothing compared to my T2i.

Ah yes now I know what a T2i is. Its a Canon DSLR. Hmm. Comparing the iPhone to a DSLR. I think that the DSLR is better for camera sake. But as a device? Well the Canon can't make calls now can it? Or maybe you can attach a cheap flip phone to the T2i and call it a iPhanon. Then you can make calls with your newly build glued together DSLR phone.:eek:

Michael Scrip

macrumors 604
Mar 4, 2011
NC
I'm not surprised, the iPhone is a popular phone. However, like we all know, popularity != quality. The iPhone camera is very good of course, no denying that.

The Nokia N8 still has not been surpassed in terms of camera quality - and that phone is over a year old!

This article is talking about popularity. There is not one mention of quality.

Stella

macrumors G3
Apr 21, 2003
Canada

Yea I know.............but, I'm not the only one who has referred to 'quality' so far ( at least two other people ). But you know, quality has a lot to do with it - if the iPhone x camera was crap, people wouldn't be posting their photos. I could point you to a whole host of forum discussions were people have started to discuss the quality of products vs popularity ( even if the main article wasn't about the quality ). :)

Last edited:

*LTD*

macrumors G4
Feb 5, 2009
Canada

The iPhone 4S introduced a number of significant improvements to its camera, drawing praise from many. Arstechnica recently posted a comparison pitting the iPhone 4S camera against several others, and found the 4S with competitive image quality and the advantage of convenience.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.