Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

techfreak85

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jan 13, 2008
Places
yep i've got the same one. so running at stock 2.66 ghz you are making the deadline?
I was able to. Bigadvs are a little scarce right now, so even if you wanted to try it, you probably wouldn't get one. I haven't gotten one in a while now.

twoodcc

macrumors P6
Feb 3, 2005
Right side of wrong
I was able to. Bigadvs are a little scarce right now, so even if you wanted to try it, you probably wouldn't get one. I haven't gotten one in a while now.

yeah i think i'll stick to what i've got going for now.

btw, one of my systems that's folding is now hooked up to my new 70" Sharp LED HDTV!! :D it's a monster!

lozanoj83

macrumors 6502a
Mar 5, 2006
Southern California
I have a questionfor you guys. Last week I finished folding a project, and received a new one to fold. However, my core has been transitioning now for a while. I removed the folding@home preference, cleaned out the library and reinstalled it, but it still isn't folding. Any ideas?

Attachments

• folding.png
    folding.png
    86.6 KB · Views: 170

techfreak85

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jan 13, 2008
Places
I have a questionfor you guys. Last week I finished folding a project, and received a new one to fold. However, my core has been transitioning now for a while. I removed the folding@home preference, cleaned out the library and reinstalled it, but it still isn't folding. Any ideas?
By cleaning out your library you mean that you deleted Homefolder/folding@home? Make sure to stop FAH, delete the entire folder, and start folding again. You will have to put in your settings and info again.

techfreak85

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jan 13, 2008
Places
Is this machine at work/school? Could there be some sort of Draconian firewall blocking it? Have you tried the command line version of the client?

lozanoj83

macrumors 6502a
Mar 5, 2006
Southern California
I do live at my University, but i've been folding while living here so i'm unsure as to what's going on.

Sadly I dont know if a firewall is in place or not, but I find it weird it just happened one weekend to a next. Think you can guide me with the CLI client?

rwh202

macrumors regular
Nov 14, 2010
UK

lordonuthin

macrumors 6502
Jan 27, 2007
Iowa
dang that's a lot of RAM!! glad you got VMs working good for you.

i recently started folding with 1 gpu a couple of weeks ago, and i just started with another gpu tonight.

once the cold is here to stay (and it might be now), i'll fire up my other pc and fold with it also. i don't know if i'll run the bigadv units this time, but we'll see.

Hey folks, whats up? I just started up again after quite a while off. right now I've got my macpro 16 core nehalem and a gpu with a 980x probably won't run anything else for a while at least. Might try a VM with Ubuntu on the mac... wonder if there will be a new mac pro next year? or another hackintosh to go into my g5 case.

techfreak85

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jan 13, 2008
Places
Hey folks, whats up? I just started up again after quite a while off. right now I've got my macpro 16 core nehalem and a gpu with a 980x probably won't run anything else for a while at least. Might try a VM with Ubuntu on the mac... wonder if there will be a new mac pro next year? or another hackintosh to go into my g5 case.

16 physical or logical cores?! :eek: Is it an aftermarket processor? Either way, you could run the new bigadvs in a vm come January! Virtual Box has worked well for me for folding on Ubuntu server.

twoodcc

macrumors P6
Feb 3, 2005
Right side of wrong

glad to have you back! i'm not sure about a new mac pro, but there's some new stuff out for a new build!

16 physical or logical cores?! :eek: Is it an aftermarket processor? Either way, you could run the new bigadvs in a vm come January! Virtual Box has worked well for me for folding on Ubuntu server.

i'm wondering the same thing

lordonuthin

macrumors 6502
Jan 27, 2007
Iowa

16 logical cores, it's a standard 2.66ghz 2009 dual cpu.

----------

I will have to try Virtualbox with Ubuntu.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.