Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

DiamonDecoden

macrumors 6502
Original poster
May 26, 2011
Texas
This is a 3D animation I made for a 3DS Max project of an 2011 27" Apple iMac being taken apart and put together. It is shown with the Apple wireless keyboard and Magic trackpad.

Let me know what you guys think! Thanks! ^__^

Last edited:

mBox

macrumors 68020
Jun 26, 2002
nice work.
needs that annoying glare that comes free with all recent iMacs ;)
I couldn't tell but was the back rounded like the original?
If you chamfer the edges more maybe you can do some close-up beauty shots with rim lighting and such. Yea I know its cliche but industrial design calls for it ;)
did you render at NTSC or HD res? I noticed in the Youtube conversion the pixel aliasing occurs. usually happens when you render to D1 or DV format then try and squeeze it back to square pixels.

DiamonDecoden

macrumors 6502
Original poster
May 26, 2011
Texas
nice work.
needs that annoying glare that comes free with all recent iMacs ;)
I couldn't tell but was the back rounded like the original?
If you chamfer the edges more maybe you can do some close-up beauty shots with rim lighting and such. Yea I know its cliche but industrial design calls for it ;)
did you render at NTSC or HD res? I noticed in the Youtube conversion the pixel aliasing occurs. usually happens when you render to D1 or DV format then try and squeeze it back to square pixels.

Hahaa, I know that glare is annoying. I recently just purchased a real iMac after making this animation.
Yes the back is rounded but it's hard to tell on this video. Maybe next time, I will get more close up shots.

I believe I rendered with the HD preset settings. The pixel aliasing was visible before I imported to premiere pro :/. It was worse before I applied the video filters. I will tweak more settings for my next video! what are your recommendations?

mBox

macrumors 68020
Jun 26, 2002
Well if you rendered it at HD square pixels then it should be fine if playback was HD. However the options on the Youtube link seems Non-square pixels to me. I dont render to Youtube much other than skate videos.
I use Maya then After Effects but I stay within my realm of HD or 4K res.
I rarely go into SD (NTSC) to DVD these days.
For what you have its fine, just when you create your promo DVD is when you have to be careful.

Fandongo

macrumors 6502
Nov 2, 2011
Space
Hahaa, I know that glare is annoying. I recently just purchased a real iMac after making this animation.
Yes the back is rounded but it's hard to tell on this video. Maybe next time, I will get more close up shots.

I believe I rendered with the HD preset settings. The pixel aliasing was visible before I imported to premiere pro :/. It was worse before I applied the video filters. I will tweak more settings for my next video! what are your recommendations?

The glare isn't there in the controlled environment your workstation should be in.
Matte screens seem to create a flatter image to me.

You could amp up the video a bit by comping in a commet storm destroying all the other towers and all-in-ones. :D

DiamonDecoden

macrumors 6502
Original poster
May 26, 2011
Texas
Well if you rendered it at HD square pixels then it should be fine if playback was HD. However the options on the Youtube link seems Non-square pixels to me. I dont render to Youtube much other than skate videos.
I use Maya then After Effects but I stay within my realm of HD or 4K res.
I rarely go into SD (NTSC) to DVD these days.
For what you have its fine, just when you create your promo DVD is when you have to be careful.

I see, I see. I'll keep that in mind in the future then. I'm trying to learn maya right now. How do you like maya vs 3ds max? Which one is better?

The glare isn't there in the controlled environment your workstation should be in.
Matte screens seem to create a flatter image to me.

You could amp up the video a bit by comping in a commet storm destroying all the other towers and all-in-ones. :D

Lol, that would result in one of those PC vs. Mac videos. Yea...I try to stay away from those because i like pc towers. They are cheap and easy to upgrade. In fact, i used a windows machine to make this video. This video is focused on the aesthetic design of the iMac. :)

mBox

macrumors 68020
Jun 26, 2002
I see, I see. I'll keep that in mind in the future then. I'm trying to learn maya right now. How do you like maya vs 3ds max? Which one is better?)
Both are great at the start. I stopped using 3DSMAX at v3.0. I come from the Alias Power Animator days so Maya's been in my blood since its Unix days.
Eventually one will work more for you than the other and all depends on the direction you take.
Enjoy Max while your learning Maya, its always good to know more than one app in this field :)

thekev

macrumors 604
Aug 5, 2010
I see, I see. I'll keep that in mind in the future then. I'm trying to learn maya right now. How do you like maya vs 3ds max? Which one is better?

Some people seem to find maya confusing. It just has a lot of weird quirks. For example you can straighten an edge out with discreet scale, but it lacks an alignment function like the one in 3ds max. Max also has a nicer coordinate system, and anything involving insets or boolean functions require a bit more work with maya (its boolean functions are basically unusable). Someone that spends more time with that stuff than me could probably give you a better overall explanation.

mBox

macrumors 68020
Jun 26, 2002
Some people seem to find maya confusing. It just has a lot of weird quirks. For example you can straighten an edge out with discreet scale, but it lacks an alignment function like the one in 3ds max. Max also has a nicer coordinate system, and anything involving insets or boolean functions require a bit more work with maya (its boolean functions are basically unusable). Someone that spends more time with that stuff than me could probably give you a better overall explanation.
Both apps have their quirks trust me. I have friends that work in gaming and film and no one gets a break ;)
Again, learn them all, it'll do you good ;)

DiamonDecoden

macrumors 6502
Original poster
May 26, 2011
Texas
Both are great at the start. I stopped using 3DSMAX at v3.0. I come from the Alias Power Animator days so Maya's been in my blood since its Unix days.
Eventually one will work more for you than the other and all depends on the direction you take.
Enjoy Max while your learning Maya, its always good to know more than one app in this field :)

Wow. You definitely seem to have lots of experience in this field. I am actually not an "animator" but would like to become much more involved in animation/graphics. :D

I don't know about you but Maya seem to me right now like the "Adobe" version of 3ds max. It seems easier to get started in Maya... I guess it's more intuitive? but I don't know if I would prefer it after starting with Max.

Oh, that's sucks because I do use the Boolean function in Max quite a bit (although boolean in max is not quite perfect but it works). Thanks for your input, you seem to know much more about Maya/ 3ds max than me!

Both apps have their quirks trust me. I have friends that work in gaming and film and no one gets a break ;)
Again, learn them all, it'll do you good ;)

That's good to know. I'll make sure to continuously learn because learning about this is so fun to me! :D I wouldn't mind doing this for my full time job! ^_~ Although I still like the job I have right now.

mBox

macrumors 68020
Jun 26, 2002
I think the video was done pretty well, but the parts and components in the iMac could be more detailed to look more professional.
True but Ive done technical 3D illustrations before and at times it all depends what your trying to convey.
You can go as far as the rivets on the hard-drive if you need but if your only doing a quick turn table look at a simple break-down, the poster got it right.

DiamonDecoden

macrumors 6502
Original poster
May 26, 2011
Texas
I think the video was done pretty well, but the parts and components in the iMac could be more detailed to look more professional.

Maybe for my next video! Thanks for your input!

True but Ive done technical 3D illustrations before and at times it all depends what your trying to convey.
You can go as far as the rivets on the hard-drive if you need but if your only doing a quick turn table look at a simple break-down, the poster got it right.

Thanks! I actually made the rivets on the hard drive but you just can't see the details from this camera angle.

mBox

macrumors 68020
Jun 26, 2002
Inspiration

Here is a link to Luxology Modo http://www.luxology.com/gallery/
This isnt to sway you into learning Modo but to inspire you with other types of modeling.
I was looking for my old Alias Studio links (industrial design), but with the Autodesk purchase of Alias, I cant seem to find anything on the parent site :p
Google all kinds of Industrial design imagery.
Again its for inspiration nothing more.
Ive seen some great work done with Max, just didnt Google any.
My fave Max stuff is from the Blur Studio folks (Tim Miller) :)

DiamonDecoden

macrumors 6502
Original poster
May 26, 2011
Texas
This isnt to sway you into learning Modo but to inspire you with other types of modeling.
I was looking for my old Alias Studio links (industrial design), but with the Autodesk purchase of Alias, I cant seem to find anything on the parent site :p

Happy late thanksgiving! :) thanks for all the inspirations. Blur studio looks nice. Do you know Tim Miller?

chrono1081

macrumors G3
Jan 26, 2008
Isla Nublar

I've heard Modo was much better for building models, but the fact that they charge for a trial made me decide not to try them.

mBox

macrumors 68020
Jun 26, 2002
I've heard Modo was much better for building models, but the fact that they charge for a trial made me decide not to try them.
Well I wouldn't say better just another choice. It all depends on your workflow. You have apps like MudBox and Zbrush for characters then Pro-E and SolidWorks for industrial engineer types.
Now throw in XSI, Max and Maya then a cheaper option such as Modo and Lightwave then you have plenty to choose from :)

chrono1081

macrumors G3
Jan 26, 2008
Isla Nublar
Have you tried Blender? It's free 3D software for Windows, Linux and Mac.

I have but I don't really like it much. It has gotten much better though than it used to be. I was impressed with the new menu layout. I still follow it a lot and would love to contribute to the project someday. Unfortunately it doesn't give me the same flexibility Maya does when I use Unity 3D and it GoZ in ZBrush doesn't support it :/ (Yet, they may in the future).

If Unity and ZBrush supported it better I may switch since its free (and I don't feel like shelling out the money for Maya since right now it is just a hobby).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.