Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jcorbin

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Oct 18, 2011
D.C.
Which do you prefer and why?

I can't decide which I wanna invest my time in. I don't want I be checking in everywhere twice.

NMF

macrumors 6502a
Oct 27, 2011
I love Yelp and use it several times a week.

I don't know what Foursquare is.

There's my answer. :)

jcorbin

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Oct 18, 2011
D.C.
I love Yelp and use it several times a week.

I don't know what Foursquare is.

There's my answer. :)

Foursquare is a social location based app where you check into different places and earn badges and points. Its kind of a game and competition.

Yelp has a check in feature. And it has badges and competition. It's got much more info about the place you're checking into. But it's less about the social/game aspect

MastahRiz

macrumors 6502
Aug 7, 2010
Which do you prefer and why?

I can't decide which I wanna invest my time in. I don't want I be checking in everywhere twice.

I use Yelp because I've never heard of foursquare. Also, Yelp members get "elite" status if they review often enough and that gets them into certain "elite" only events free where you can eat/drink at no cost. Kind of cool, but at the same time there are a lot of class action lawsuits against Yelp saying that they filter reviews too aggressively on businesses that don't agree to pay for Yelp advertising. Hard to say that they're 100% legit, much like any other company these days...

jcorbin

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Oct 18, 2011
D.C.
I do think yelp has a lot more information about the places you find. Foursquare only has "tips" that people can leave.

My main thing is the foursquare app is much more polished. The yelp app is a bit clunky. Like the fact that you can only draft a review with the app and I have to go to the website to finalize it.

jcorbin

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Oct 18, 2011
D.C.
Changing it up again lol. I like how much information it has and how helpful it can be. However the social networking side of foursquare makes it more fun to use. Also you can't check in places that are further than 10 miles from you and it has a radar feature that buzzes when you are near something cool.

I think I'll keep Yelp for the reviews but use foursquare to check in.

jcorbin

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Oct 18, 2011
D.C.
i feel like they are both a little ridiculous on check ins. with foursquare you can make any location a "venue" to check into. my friend has her apartment set up as well as other apartments on campus. she is a supermayor but half the places she's the mayor of aren't really "establishments"

With yelp you can't create a place but you can check in no matter how far away you are. i just tested it from about 15 miles away and it worked fine.

But the "king of d.c" has 586 dukedoms and 384 places he/she is a regular at...
that just seems outlandish.

so it looks like both make it easy to "play the game"

overall 4square is about telling friends where you are and finding you friends. and trying to obtain badges. yes it does have an explore option but its limited to your current location and only has limited info about the place

yelp focuses on reviews of these places and obtaining all pertinent information about the establishment. check ins are kind of thrown in with the app and for what it is they are well executed.

after spending a few days playing with both i find, like rosemary said, they are truly different apps. though they both provide the same service (check ins) their approach is radically different. it comes down to what you want to get out of the app. if you just want to keep tabs on your friends and also to let people know where you are. and finding new places is more of an adventure for you then foursquare is the way to go. if you have fun checking into places but that isn't necessarily the goal. and finding new places is more of an exact science where you can review tips, reviews, and information about the venue such as pricing, parking, required attire, etc then yelp is for you.

aham23

macrumors regular
Oct 31, 2011
foursquare is a game and fun to play. yelp is my review site. both are decent apps.

also, part of the fun is creating locations. this morning, despite being at work, i checked into the strip club at 7am. come on, thats funny stuff. :)

jcorbin

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Oct 18, 2011
D.C.
i see a lot of you use yelp for the reviews. how many of you use it for checking in

JRoDDz

macrumors 68000
Jul 2, 2009
NYC
Yelp is more helpful in finding restaurants and such.. Foursquare is more of a social thing.

Stewie

macrumors 6502a
Jan 6, 2004
Austin
I quit using yelp as they have a pretty crappy policy with reviews and ranking. You can google it for more info, but I just don't trust yelps reviews at all.

ZBoater

macrumors G3
Jul 2, 2007
Sunny Florida
I quit using yelp as they have a pretty crappy policy with reviews and ranking. You can google it for more info, but I just don't trust yelps reviews at all.

The policy is not crappy. It has its flaws, but the goal is to weed out the fake reviews. And there are PLENTY of those. I trust Yelp reviews a lot more than most other places. They were already sued and the suit was tossed regarding their alleged favoritism to paying advertisers. It just isn't true. Some sour grapes from people who got really bad reviews, tried to put in fake positive reviews, and the Yelp algorithm busted them.

I am very familiar with Yelp at least in my area, and I can tell you 99% of the reviews sound very legit.

jcorbin

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Oct 18, 2011
D.C.
so while we're talking about check in services. does anyone use google+ to check in...or at all?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.