Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jamdr

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 20, 2003
Bay Area
If there's one app out there (Apple and non-Apple alike) that makes me think "Aqua GUI" it's Acquisition. Much to my surprise, I learned today that it's programmed in Java! I never even noticed--it always seemed like a lean, 100% native app to me. This is terrific, and great news for Java developers on OS X. Dave must use Cocoa-Java to accomplish this feat, which I've only heard bad things about. But now I've been inspired to give it a try and build a Cocoa GUI for one of my simple Swing apps. I would be more than willing to put a little extra effort into developing a Cocoa front-end for an otherwise cross-platform Java app if it meant greater acceptance by OS X users (who generally hold a negative view of Java, from what I've seen). Anyone have any comments on this?

PlaceofDis

macrumors Core
Jan 6, 2004
i love the look and feel and usablity of Aquasition, just hate the pop ups and annoying pleads to get my money, i would probably donate if it were not so annoying

good luck and be sure to share your app with all of us here!!

gallivant

macrumors member
Dec 14, 2004
That's the great thing about Cocoa - it lets Java, which would be a fantastic language if its GUI options weren't complete trash, have a genuinely usable front-end. My own development work is probably going to be C#/Mono and Cocoa-Java from here on out.

Jolix

macrumors newbie
Apr 23, 2005
San Diego
jamdr said:
If there's one app out there (Apple and non-Apple alike) that makes me think "Aqua GUI" it's Acquisition. Much to my surprise, I learned today that it's programmed in Java! I never even noticed--it always seemed like a lean, 100% native app to me. This is terrific, and great news for Java developers on OS X. Dave must use Cocoa-Java to accomplish this feat, which I've only heard bad things about. But now I've been inspired to give it a try and build a Cocoa GUI for one of my simple Swing apps. I would be more than willing to put a little extra effort into developing a Cocoa front-end for an otherwise cross-platform Java app if it meant greater acceptance by OS X users (who generally hold a negative view of Java, from what I've seen). Anyone have any comments on this?
Actually Acquisition is coded in Cocoa/Objective-C. It uses the limewire core for all of the p2p networking, which is java. It launches the core with NSTask and reads the io with stdin/stdout. So it's actually 2 processes, Acquisition and AcquisitionCore(limewire).

harveypooka

macrumors 65816
Feb 24, 2004
Has anyone else's Acquisition code stopped working? I upgraded to Tiger
on friday, everything went fine, then this morning my code stopped working.
I've sent an email to the developer (Dave, I think) but emails never get
answered. Anybody else effected?

asif786

macrumors 65816
Jun 17, 2004
London, UK.
harveypooka said:
Has anyone else's Acquisition code stopped working? I upgraded to Tiger
on friday, everything went fine, then this morning my code stopped working.
I've sent an email to the developer (Dave, I think) but emails never get
answered. Anybody else effected?

have you upgraded to Java 1.5? if you have, i believe there's known issues with acquisition and java 1.5..

harveypooka

macrumors 65816
Feb 24, 2004
No, I'm still using Java 1.4.2...the Java 1.5 is a standalone installer, not available via software update? It must be a problem with my reg code then...hmm. Cheers!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.