Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

lazer310

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 9, 2010
Hello all. I have an old computer laying around that I want to re-condition and give to my parents as their media server.
It's an AMD Sempron 3200+, 512MB ram, and I will put in a gigabit network card to go with the gigabit router I'm getting them.

My question: Will this skimpy thing stream well? This will be a stock Apple TV, all files are already in mp4 for m4v. And this box will do nothing except stream movies.

Or should I just bite the bullet, and build them a super cheap box with a better chip?

warvanov

macrumors 6502a
Oct 13, 2011
It might. My old G4 mini can stream 720p HD video to my Xbox. Even though the mini isn't robust enough to play the video itself it has no problem streaming the files over the network.

fpnc

macrumors 68000
Oct 30, 2002
San Diego, CA
I use a 1.5GHz G4-based (PowerPC) Mac mini with 1GB DRAM as my iTunes server and it hardly breaks a sweat when streaming content to either of my Apple TVs (ATV1 & ATV2). In fact, I can stream to two iOS devices at the same time without problems.

lazer310

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 9, 2010
Looks like if I spring for another stick of RAM, I should be golden. I'm going to do a full scale test on it in the next few days.

Thanks for the replies, I'll let you guys know how it goes.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.