Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

iAlwaysKnowIt

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 6, 2011
Hi,

I've had my MacBook Pro 13-inch for about just over a year. And two days ago, when I clicked the battery icon in my top toolbar, there was a message that said "Service Battery" and a little caution sign beside it. I was a little startled by this so I restarted my computer and the message was gone from the battery icon dropdown list. However, for these past couple of days, I have noticed a really limited performance for the battery life. At 100%, the computer lasts about 6-7 hours on the display time left display. Before, it used to be around 10 hours when I'm not using it intensely.

I have only gone through 375 charge cycles and my computer is fairly new - with only over a year. I don't use it that much and I am very confused on what to do. If you have any advice, please share it.

Thanks in advance.

iAlwaysKnowIt

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 6, 2011
10 hours?! Which model do you have?

Maybe I was exaggerating with the 10 hours. But when I have my Airport off and my screen set to a low-ish brightness and I am simply working on a Pages document, the time left says 10-12 hours which is quite amazing. Now the time doesn't seem to get past 7 hours - even at 100%

----------

Reset the SMC. If the problem still persists, have Apple check to see if your battery is defective. This should answer most, if not all, of your battery questions:

Thanks for replying. I actually just did reset the SMC following the instructions that include, "On the built-in keyboard, press the (left side) Shift-Control-Option keys and the power button at the same time", since I have the late MacBook Pro. I don't know if this will fix the battery problem though. I will just have to wait and see.

It is really unexpected for this to happen since I usually complete one charge cycle per-day, I shut down my computer everyday and for the fact that I have only had my MacBook Pro for just over a year. I really hope this would solve my problem. Or I guess I will need a replacement battery.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.