Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

wiredless

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 1, 2010
the south
This hint requires that you have apple developer tools installed in order to use plist editor. I have a root account enabled on my system which i was logged into to use this hint, i'm sure some of the more terminal thrifty users can chime in on how to do this through the terminal, please comment.

In the finder navigate to applications folder and right click on itunes and select Show Package Contents. Once Contents is open the path is Contents/Resources/English.lproj/TextStyles.plist. Right click on TextStyles.plist and open with Property List Editor.app. in Property List Editor.app locate 9003 and click the arrow next to it.
You will see 3 lines of settings on the FONT row i changed the font to LucidaGrange-Bold. on the SIZE line i changed 13 to 18. then save the file

I now have iTunes with a bold and larger font just the way i like it. Im a musician and use itunes to make my bands set lists I just take a screen capture of the list and print in preview.

Attachments

• list.jpg
    list.jpg
    67.6 KB · Views: 1,370

Davieis

macrumors regular
Aug 20, 2007
Melbourne, AU
OMG...I've wanted to know how to do this for ages!! I want Helvetica as the iTunes list font. I'm trying this NOW!

Thank you!! :D

EDIT: I just tried it but it doesn't work :( I downloaded PList Edit Pro off Apple and edited the plist file like you said but it made no difference in iTunes. I did this under the root user too. Could it be because I wasn't using Apple Developer Tools?

Davieis

macrumors regular
Aug 20, 2007
Melbourne, AU
OK I've worked out why it wasn't working. '9003' in property list editor corresponds to iTunes' Large Fonts setting. You need to change '9002' for the Small fonts setting. And you don't need to have Apple Developer tools, you can use any Plist Editor. I've wanted this for ages...

tunes.jpg

Mal

macrumors 603
Jan 6, 2002
Orlando
Any tips on how to get the font name right? Some I can get, but others I'm having issues with. Specifically, I'd like to try out Century Gothic, but I've tried "Century Gothic", "Century Gothic-Regular", "CenturyGothic", "CenturyGothic-Regular", and none have worked. It just shows the default font (albeit with my size choice, so I know part of this is working).

jW

matchewee

macrumors newbie
Sep 7, 2010
Thank You !

THANK YOU, THANK YOU, THANK YOU.

Finally, a simple way to get bigger text on itunes. :D

Man I have waited soooo long for this. Considering I use my mac mini on a HDTV and finally I can read itunes properly.

THANK YOU!

solomonte

macrumors newbie
Apr 15, 2011
iTunes Mod not applying

I followed the instructions above (ie plist editor, etc) changed the fonts in the string and saved - but when I open iTunes the changes aren't applied.

I'm using the admin account.

any suggestions?

Thanks

jpf55

macrumors newbie
Jun 17, 2011
Outstanding, Thank you, although, I was not allowed to just save the plist, I had to save it to the desktop, remove the original one and then transfer the new one in its place.

Now if only there was a way to increase the iTunes Store font.

Sorry Apple but, I bought a 27 inch iMac and if I can't read what's up for sale, I'm not inclined to buy.

whe73

macrumors newbie
Nov 26, 2011
Easy

I wanted to say thank you very much as well. I too have been using a Mac Mini as my HTPC for almost a year and finally got annoyed enough to come here and try to do something about it.

Even as a non-programmer this was pretty easy to do and WOW what a difference it makes. I don't have to squint to see iTunes across the room now.

Thanks again!

p.s. I agree about the iTunes Store comment. Why does Apple want to force me into a $99 Apple TV when I've purchased a $700 Mac Mini? $900 when I add the wireless keyboard, trackpad and software upgrades.

burbel

macrumors newbie
Feb 25, 2012
Method still works in iTunes 10.5.3, I was able to change the overall font - thanks original poster. Just using terminal and vi on the file works just fine, btw.

I do have a question, however. After changing the font size of the list elements (9002), I noticed that the lists in the left-hand bar have had their fonts increased as well. No worries, looks fine, but when I select an item on the left list (like Music, a playlist, etc.) I get a shrunken font from before, and have not been able to find the key value that controls that font.

Has anyone figured this out? An annoying little detail that I would really like to put to rest.

----------

Method still works in iTunes 10.5.3, I was able to change the overall font - thanks original poster. Just using terminal and vi on the file works just fine, btw.

I do have a question, however. After changing the font size of the list elements (9002), I noticed that the lists in the left-hand bar have had their fonts increased as well. No worries, looks fine, but when I select an item on the left list (like Music, a playlist, etc.) I get a shrunken font from before, and have not been able to find the key value that controls that font.

Has anyone figured this out? An annoying little detail that I would really like to put to rest.

Kept pushing, and managed to find it. For folks that change their font type and size for lists, you might also want to change key 9029.

<key>9029</key>
<dict>
<key>- loc hint -</key>
<string>List Contents (Small Bold)</string>
<key>font</key>
<string>Verdana-Bold</string>
<key>size</key>
<integer>14</integer>
</dict>

Made those changes since I preferred the Verdana font and 14pt for my lists; now the selected item is bolded.

amitai

macrumors newbie
Jan 19, 2009
Awesome tip... thank you so much. I used Pref Setter because I didn't feel like downloading all of xcode. Note: I had to go to Get Info for the plist file and give myself read & write permissions before I was able to save changes made. Love my itunes in helvetica.. thank you OP!

Ozfrog

macrumors newbie
Oct 6, 2018
Paris, France
Nearly there. Downloaded Xcode and stuff, found the lines 9002 and 9003 but some permission stuff won't let me change the values. The Info page says "admin" can read and write, "wheel" and "all" can read only.
Anyone have a clue? Thanks
[doublepost=1560325487][/doublepost]
Awesome tip... thank you so much. I used Pref Setter because I didn't feel like downloading all of xcode. Note: I had to go to Get Info for the plist file and give myself read & write permissions before I was able to save changes made. Love my itunes in helvetica.. thank you OP!
Please - where did you you find the permissions stuff? I have Xcode and have found the lines 9002 / 9003 but Big Brother says I don't have the necessary permissions to change the values. Thanks

Ozfrog

macrumors newbie
Oct 6, 2018
Paris, France
Nearly there. Downloaded Xcode and stuff, found the lines 9002 and 9003 but some permission stuff won't let me change the values. The Info page says "admin" can read and write, "wheel" and "all" can read only.
Anyone have a clue? Thanks
[doublepost=1560325487][/doublepost]
Please - where did you you find the permissions stuff? I have Xcode and have found the lines 9002 / 9003 but Big Brother says I don't have the necessary permissions to change the values. Thanks
Amitai.
Ta - did the Get Info stuff, but still get a prompt - you don't own this file so you can't modify it.
Mojave 10.14.5
I dunno :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.